9* vs 10.5* drivers

Mach2

Reaction score
Handicap
USGA 13.7
After trying a few new drivers I finally settled with the Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* driver with the Miyazaki C Kua 5R shaft. Totally happy with all aspects, and results, with it. Found a 9* Launcher HB driver, used, with the same Miyazaki C Kua 5R shaft on eBay for a great price and bought it. It came with a Winn grip and I changed it to a GP Tour Velvet 360 grip like the on on the 10.5* gamer driver. Looking forward to playing each one for 9 holes this week and seeing the different results.

It's all about maximize ball speed while being in the correct launch/spin window. Best of luck. 9 holes doesn't seem like enough to sort through what could potentially be a small distance.

Dave

It's all about maximize ball speed while being in the correct launch/spin window. Best of luck. 9 holes doesn't seem like enough to sort through what could potentially be a small distance.

Dave

Planning on the usual Monday, Tuesday, Thursday & Friday golfing this week. 9 holes each day eith each driver should provide answers & differences.

Planning on the usual Monday, Tuesday, Thursday & Friday golfing this week. 9 holes each day eith each driver should provide answers & differences.

Wow! 4 times a week, you're living the dream retirement life!

Dave

A small snippet into what I’ve found to work. If you’re hitting up into the ball and/or swinging 110 CHS+, most folks are better suited to the 9*. If you’re hitting down on it and/or swinging less than 110, 10.5* is probably a better choice.

I’d almost prefer a driver in the 4-5* range because my swing is molded from long drive so I hit up on it considerably and I still can get the swing speed up there pretty good, at least as of last season. This season I’ve lost some but I’ll probably get the majority back once I loosen up for the season. Last winter I worked on it all off-season. This year I went with my normal off-season and barely swung a club. It’s gonna take a hot second to regain some speed this year once you take into account my age and extreme golf sloth this winter.

Well it only took 1 day to decide which loft driver is better for me. 1st 9 holes I hit the 9* driver 7 times with no consistency. Cuts, fades, high & low launches and 4 of 7 fairways After 6 holes on the back 9 hitting the 10.5* driver, the results were consistent. Straight or slight cut results with a consistent launch height. After the back 9 hitting the 10.5* driver 7 times, I missed 1 fairway.

The more vertical face of the 9* driver and less bulge & roll, it is less forgiving compared to the less vertical 10.5* driver. Enjoyed seeing the results, and now have a 9* Cleveland Launcher HB driver as the back up to the 10.5*.

Well it only took 1 day to decide which loft driver is better for me. 1st 9 holes I hit the 9* driver 7 times with no consistency. Cuts, fades, high & low launches and 4 of 7 fairways After 6 holes on the back 9 hitting the 10.5* driver, the results were consistent. Straight or slight cut results with a consistent launch height. After the back 9 hitting the 10.5* driver 7 times, I missed 1 fairway.

The more vertical face of the 9* driver and less bulge & roll, it is less forgiving compared to the less vertical 10.5* driver. Enjoyed seeing the results, and now have a 9* Cleveland Launcher HB driver as the back up to the 10.5*.
I may try to test this out for me. I think I'm playing at 9.5, but I'm having inconsistent ball flight and a lot lower than I would like. I was hitting 10.5 too high, but it might've been my regular shaft or my launch angle. Got a stiff shaft coming this week to see if that changes anything.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Back