Nike Vapor Fly Pro Irons - THP Review Thread

Great thoughts Dean. Love that topline and the black.

Why do you think the DG Pro would/should have been the shaft instead of the XP? Would love to try these with the XPs though.

Just going back to when the Vapor lineup was introduced in August 2014 and being the in room with Nate while he was mentioned shaft choices. I would have thought offering the DG Pro as their shaft for here giving a flighted option might have hit on the Pro name a little more. But XP95 is a good shaft and they obviously chose it for a reason.

Really interesting stuff Dean. Both posts.

they aren't bad by any means, but they are missing something to me. There is nothing to me that makes the stand out performance wise.

Just going back to when the Vapor lineup was introduced in August 2014 and being the in room with Nate while he was mentioned shaft choices. I would have thought offering the DG Pro as their shaft for here giving a flighted option might have hit on the Pro name a little more. But XP95 is a good shaft and they obviously chose it for a reason.

they aren't bad by any means, but they are missing something to me. There is nothing to me that makes the stand out performance wise.

Interesting, and one I agree with. It seems mismatched and not because the XP 95 is not capable, because I love that shaft, but the segment they are intended for, sides normally with something heavier.

Dean, seriously, love the thoughts and pics.

Seems like a "good, not standout" iron release to me, which is a bummer as I thought the VPC's were one of the better iron releases we have seen in that profile/demand category performance wise.

Interesting, and one I agree with. It seems mismatched and not because the XP 95 is not capable, because I love that shaft, but the segment they are intended for, sides normally with something heavier.

This. First reaction to seeing the shaft choice, they're damn good shafts, but as discussed here to me these just SCREAM for something like the DG Pro profile and category wise.

When I checked them out in stores, first thing the guy said working there was "don't worry, there are free upgrades to heavier shafts" before I even said anything. Must be getting that a lot.

It's definitely a capable shaft, but like you say the demo that they are going for with this line probably want to see something else.

Seems like a "good, not standout" iron release to me, which is a bummer as I thought the VPC's were one of the better iron releases we have seen in that profile/demand category performance wise.

that's what I'm seeing so far. Good, but nothing that makes me say it's better than what I've hit recently. Evolutionary, not revolutionary.

This. First reaction to seeing the shaft choice, they're damn good shafts, but as discussed here to me these just SCREAM for something like the DG Pro profile and category wise.

Like I said I'm surprised that's not the stock offering. But the XP shafts are as you say, damn good shafts.

It's definitely a capable shaft, but like you say the demo that they are going for with this line probably want to see something else.

that's what I'm seeing so far. Good, but nothing that makes me say it's better than what I've hit recently. Evolutionary, not revolutionary.

Like I said I'm surprised that's not the stock offering. But the XP shafts are as you say, damn good shafts.

Bang on in the bold. Which I definitely get, but its still a bit of a confusing and muddled release to me.

MAN I wish Nike would really get it rolling and figured out.

We definitely differ on the irons we like (as most do), but to me I dont see these as a demand category club. These fit with the same area as so many other great irons right now in that blended area in my opinion. You have to create something and market its strengths. Nike did neither here in my opinion.

When I checked them out in stores, first thing the guy said working there was "don't worry, there are free upgrades to heavier shafts" before I even said anything. Must be getting that a lot.

that they do. Here is a chart from the webpage

i-CH76Dqj-XL.jpg

We definitely differ on the irons we like (as most do), but to me I dont see these as a demand category club. These fit with the same area as so many other great irons right now in that blended area in my opinion. You have to create something and market its strengths. Nike did neither here in my opinion.

I'm not disagreeing with your take at all, in fact, we are completely on the same page. I was simply lumping the category and playability/demand into one statement.

The sound transition is a major concern for me. Usually it takes a profile change and maybe even a finish change to tolerate sound altering (see: iron to hybrid). I remember my biggest issue with the original Pro combos was the transition between the 5 iron and the 4 iron.. I just couldn't do it.

Wondering if the change has you preferring one over the other, and whether you're using that club because of it in places you probably shouldn't?

I'm not disagreeing with your take at all, in fact, we are completely on the same page. I was simply lumping the category and playability/demand into one statement.

My question to a company is if you are entering into a category with really great stuff that is marketed extremely well (by some), you have to do something to differentiate that product and then tell people about it.

They handled the differentials with color, which I think works, but nobody has a clue about the iron at all. THey have said virtually nothing about it. Which is a shame.

Bang on in the bold. Which I definitely get, but its still a bit of a confusing and muddled release to me.

MAN I wish Nike would really get it rolling and figured out.

Part of me wishes they would just keep making the VR Blades as their top end players irons. Free up some resources to play around with the cavity irons and get creative with GIs and hopefully make something people want to actually touch.

My question to a company is if you are entering into a category with really great stuff that is marketed extremely well (by some), you have to do something to differentiate that product and then tell people about it.

They handled the differentials with color, which I think works, but nobody has a clue about the iron at all. THey have said virtually nothing about it. Which is a shame.

Agreed. But this has been the trend for everything they have done from drivers, to putters, to wedges, make a change and then its just an initial blurb of promotion followed by nothingness, no real info, no real push, no real anything. It should be clear to them by now that being Nike simply isn't going to be good enough, its a shame and confusing as hell that a marketing giant (as a whole company) just cannot grasp the golf sector...or maybe they just don't want to?

The sound transition is a major concern for me. Usually it takes a profile change and maybe even a finish change to tolerate sound altering (see: iron to hybrid). I remember my biggest issue with the original Pro combos was the transition between the 5 iron and the 4 iron.. I just couldn't do it.

Wondering if the change has you preferring one over the other, and whether you're using that club because of it in places you probably shouldn't?

haven't found myself in that position yet. The sound change is better IMO, but the difference is still there. Lucky for me, in a perfect world, I wouldn't play a 5 iron, so it wouldn't be an issue.

Another interesting note, while I was at the range yesterday, two gentlemen in the booth next to me kept asking yardages to flags and then they noticed the LM sitting there. Asked what I was hitting and showed them. So I posed this question to them. You walk in to the store and are selecting 3-4 iron sets to compare. Going in you have no knowledge on any of the sets, you are going off of how they look on the wall. Would these find their way to the hitting booth with you? Both said they liked the looks, loved the black, and thought the blue was a nice accent color. However, based on looks alone, both said they would pass and choose other options to hit initially.

Good or bad, I feel like this is my reaction to Nike golf equipment as a whole. I wish it wasn't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed. But this has been the trend for everything they have done from drivers, to putters, to wedges, make a change and then its just an initial blurb of promotion followed by nothingness, no real info, no real push, no real anything. It should be clear to them by now that being Nike simply isn't going to be good enough, its a shame and confusing as hell that a marketing giant (as a whole company) just cannot grasp the golf sector...or maybe they just don't want to?

He is the question I have. Are they a marketing giant? They are in a sense, but not really long term marketing on hard goods. They do a tremendous job (better than most in the world) of creating initial buzz in products for the drop. Especially for their target market. But unlike some brands, I always feel as though the marketing stops there and the athlete really is the only marketing at that point.

haven't found myself in that position yet. The sound change is better IMO, but the difference is still there. Lucky for me, in a perfect world, I wouldn't play a 5 iron, so it wouldn't be an issue.

I actually think more companies are going to go this route in the future as less golfers are susceptible to sound changes impacting them negatively. We have seen the success with hybrids, so my gut says in a few years, more hollow body irons/design change irons are commonly found in even compact irons. Especially as we see the tour players go this route.

He is the question I have. Are they a marketing giant? They are in a sense, but not really long term marketing on hard goods. They do a tremendous job (better than most in the world) of creating initial buzz in products for the drop. Especially for their target market. But unlike some brands, I always feel as though the marketing stops there and the athlete really is the only marketing at that point.

Precisely. Its baffling and completely crazy to me, but its the reality. MASSIVE initial show/buzz put on and then it just is what it is. Look at last year, here's the line (which I still say was very good, their best yet performance wise), here's the buzz, then its just if you see a flash of volt on the screen on TV tournaments now and again. Then this year looks 100 percent to be a rinse and repeat.

It just makes no logical sense, but they do it again, and again, and again.

Do these compete withe the Srixon Z545's or the Z745's? I have the Z545's and love em , but I do like the color scheme on these irons:act-up:

Hit these today and they are very solid, very consistent, performers for me. I was hitting a lot of shots out towards the toe (about a 1/2") as I'm likely to do because they are shorter than I prefer, but couldn't really tell except for looking at the impact tape. I'm seriously pondering these, and I like the looks, but am concerned a bit about how they will look after a lot of use.

Great thoughts and solid conversation in here.

Are these targeted to a similar player as the Covert Forged? I really wish Nike would put the peddle down on the marketing of their golf clubs. The few commercials they do make I really enjoy.

Any update?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have played them quite a bit in the last week+. Just finishing up the review now. Anything specific you are looking for?

I'm really, really interested in these irons! Looking forward to your review Dean! Especially about the durability of the finish. I think they look great, but don't think they will look so good later. That's not a deal breaker though because I am thoroughly impressed with them performance and dispersion wise.

The finish has been holding up really well on these. I've been quite impressed with that. I'd still expect to see simialr wear that we have seen from other black finished irons in the past on a more long term basis.

Back