Trying To Break 90 Club

Had a good range session yesterday; very productive. Found a groove win the irons and driver and was consistently hitting my target line and distance (give or take 5 yards or so) about 75% of the time.

I spent a little time working on a draw as well. It's tough to convince my brain to keep the club face closed and hit the draw... I kept correcting it during the downswing and hitting the ball straight!

Also goofed around with a lob shot on the practice green. I only hit it accurately about half the time so it's not reliable enough to use on the course yet. Sure is fun popping the ball up and seeing it stop on the green though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Replaced my entire bag from Driver thru LW over the winter so the last 3-4 rounds I haven't been too focused on breaking 90 again.
Just getting a feel for the new driver and irons.
Last round out, shot a 92 and by the back 9, really felt like a finally knew where my new yardages were going to be at.
Going to be playing at Seaview on Friday (site of the LPGA Shop Rite Classic) and would be stoked to stay around 90 there.

Glad to see this thread alive and well again as the doldrums of winter subside.

Can't get outside yet - but I did start a sim league today & shot 42 (Bay Harbor MI - looks like an amazing course!) with 2 birdies. And that's with a 4-putt and a 3-putt! Compared to past years I'm already in midseason form lol!

Sim%20league%202016%20week%201_zpsabvhad8p.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Hit the green on the par 5 9th with a 3-wood from 211 yards out & got the 45-foot eagle putt to 3 feet. Man - I wish I could be doing this outside!

My swing did feel a lot better than usual - I really focused on keeping my arms connected to my torso (no lifting or reaching) all the way through the shot.

First round in five months for me today. Season started off 51/49 = 100. First time reaching the triple digits in a loooooooong time. Short game was horrendous.

I needed a birdie on 18 to break 100, which was a pretty short par 5 (around 460). I was putting for eagle. Walked away with par. Sums up the round perfectly.

Last edited:
First round in five months for me today. Season started off 51/49 = 100. First time reaching the triple digits in a loooooooong time. Short game was horrendous.

I needed a birdie on 18 to break 100, which was a pretty short par 5 (around 460). I was putting for eagle. Walked away with par. Sums up the round perfectly.

If that was 5 months without swinging or any golf drills, I think you gotta expect that. I'm sure it won't take long to get back in the swing of things (sorry for the pun).

What I've noticed this winter is that doing slow-motion swing drills (see Thread) has really helped me to make better & more consistent contact. Now I realize I've only played sim rounds so far, but I'm still hitting the ball much better & farther too.

If that was 5 months without swinging or any golf drills, I think you gotta expect that. I'm sure it won't take long to get back in the swing of things (sorry for the pun).

What I've noticed this winter is that doing slow-motion swing drills (see Thread) has really helped me to make better & more consistent contact. Now I realize I've only played sim rounds so far, but I'm still hitting the ball much better & farther too.

There were a couple trips to the range in recent weeks, but my already poor short game was made exponentially worse by not practicing it over the winter. I really need to focus on that in the coming weeks and the scores will come back down.

7bef464bcf0cff7455263dbf4bb6d05c.jpg

Came real close on Friday.
Played Seaview Bay course site of the LPGA Shop Rite in May. Greens were rolling around 10ish I'd say. Very slippery and any misjudgment of speed was met harshly.
37 putts is a lot for me, and that includes my first ever hole out from a bunker on 5 for birdie.
Back 9 was much better than the front.
Best hole of the day was 18.
Par 5 playing shortish at 486 yds. Hit a perfect drive with the GBB and had 204 left to the front of the green. Hit a 4H that came up about 4 feet short of the green. Pin was back on top of 2 tiers. Pulled the chip about 8 feet left but was hole high and drained the birdie putt.
Left a few shots on the greens but all in all, I'll take a 92 on a tourney caliber course.
What really has me encouraged right now is my swing was completely lost at the beginning of last season and I was not even breaking 100. Took a few lessons and my scores started dropping from there. To be flirting with the 80's each time out this early has me excited for the summer months.

I was struggling at the start of the season, now the weather has broken here in Nashville the season has officially started.

34ba18215d34f82a0b7cbaeb56b604f8.jpg

I've played more than this, practicing when I can, but these are official rounds with a witness that I can record for handicap purposes.

Last year my stroke average was below 90 for the calendar year, looking forward to seeing if I can do it again.

Dax

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7bef464bcf0cff7455263dbf4bb6d05c.jpg

Came real close on Friday.
Played Seaview Bay course site of the LPGA Shop Rite in May. Greens were rolling around 10ish I'd say. Very slippery and any misjudgment of speed was met harshly.
37 putts is a lot for me, and that includes my first ever hole out from a bunker on 5 for birdie.
Back 9 was much better than the front.
Best hole of the day was 18.
Par 5 playing shortish at 486 yds. Hit a perfect drive with the GBB and had 204 left to the front of the green. Hit a 4H that came up about 4 feet short of the green. Pin was back on top of 2 tiers. Pulled the chip about 8 feet left but was hole high and drained the birdie putt.
Left a few shots on the greens but all in all, I'll take a 92 on a tourney caliber course.
What really has me encouraged right now is my swing was completely lost at the beginning of last season and I was not even breaking 100. Took a few lessons and my scores started dropping from there. To be flirting with the 80's each time out this early has me excited for the summer months.

Nice work lemmiwinks!

I went and talked to a PGA professional today about getting some lessons, it will be the first ones I've ever had. I feel like I've gotten myself as far as I can without some help and I've come to terms with that, I'm really looking forward to learning what I'm doing wrong and what I need to do to fix it. I've broken 90 quite a few times but I want to play there all the time and start going after breaking 80 some time this year. Now if it would just dry up I could get started...

Broke 90 with an 88 at the end of last season. In the past three days I have played 2 rounds on one of the hardest courses i've played so far. Harborside International where PGA events used to be played. Scored 91 and 92, which is a good sign because I feel like I played horrible with my irons. The only thing that saved me was my driver and 3 wood..

I shot 82 earlier at the sim. I was hitting the ball pretty well, but I don't feel like I can trust that score, maybe add 5-10 strokes for the sim?

After breaking 90 fairly consistently last season...I started off this year with a couple 87's. Swing felt great, was drawing the ball well and making solid contact. Was thinking maybe I could break 80 this year. Then two weeks ago it's like the switch was flipped off. All of a sudden I was Shanking the ball, felt like I didn't know what I was doing and shot 96,99,and 99 again today. at least I didn't shank a ball today...but I was hitting a lot of fat shots. Been working hard on my game lately. Think I need to take a few days off and recharge.

41/47 today. Would normally be ok with this.. But 5 putts lipped out... Including two birdies.. Plus a snowman on 17. Only needed a par on 9 (160 yard par 3) for a 39 on the front..

So a big improvement from last week, but should have been much better.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Broke through with an 85 to start my season. I felt like my game was off especially my irons, but still a great start to my season.

95 & 91 on my home course so far, both times out it was freezing and windy. too bundled up to get some good swings in but still okay to start the season.

After breaking 90 fairly consistently last season...I started off this year with a couple 87's. Swing felt great, was drawing the ball well and making solid contact. Was thinking maybe I could break 80 this year. Then two weeks ago it's like the switch was flipped off. All of a sudden I was Shanking the ball, felt like I didn't know what I was doing and shot 96,99,and 99 again today. at least I didn't shank a ball today...but I was hitting a lot of fat shots. Been working hard on my game lately. Think I need to take a few days off and recharge.

didn't touch a club for a couple days...and hit a few on the skytrak today. Worked on hitting the ball in the center of the club face and more towards the toe.....distance, contact and draw is back!!! only hit a few with each iron as I didn't want to over do it and wanted to end on a good note. Today helped a lot with my confidence.

45/53 - 98 today on a new course for me. Greens were nice, fairways were bad.

5 pars (a PB for me), 6 bogeys, 4 doubles, a triple, a quad (with a FOUR PUTT) and a 10 on a par 5. 16 putts on the front and 19 on the back.

Ball striking was REALLY encouraging today. I hit the ball a lot better than my final score reflects. Fell apart with the 10 on the par 5 15th then went double-double-triple to finish the round. I got tired - should've stopped to eat/drink at the turn.

98 isn't fantastic but I am really encouraged about the state of things and feel like I can pull it together in the next week or so here.

45/53 - 98 today on a new course for me. Greens were nice, fairways were bad.

5 pars (a PB for me), 6 bogeys, 4 doubles, a triple, a quad (with a FOUR PUTT) and a 10 on a par 5. 16 putts on the front and 19 on the back.

Ball striking was REALLY encouraging today. I hit the ball a lot better than my final score reflects. Fell apart with the 10 on the par 5 15th then went double-double-triple to finish the round. I got tired - should've stopped to eat/drink at the turn.

98 isn't fantastic but I am really encouraged about the state of things and feel like I can pull it together in the next week or so here.

I feel your pain on the ups and downs in this game, I played Friday. I was even through 6 and then doubled the last 3 holes and then continued playing poorly on the back. Finished the day with a 91 and felt like I was scrambling at some point on every hole on the back 9. I really need to quit being a head case when I get a good round going.

47 / 46 this morning. Played the back nine first and sliced or big faded every drive, second nine I left it in the bag and tee'd off with my 3 H and hit 6 out of the 6 fairways, final hole I pulled driver and found the right rough. I also had 4 penalties, 3 water balls and a OB into someones house, I am pretty sure I sure it hit their wall and bounce back onto the course but couldn't find it again. 1 birdie, 4 pars, 5 bogies, 7 doubles and 1 triple.

This last week when I have had time to go to the range all I have pretty much done, is small 1/4 to 1/2 swings with my PW, building up to full swings. Concentrating on trying to start my downswing with a slight hip bump towards target. This seems to have shallowed out my steepness as I only fatted one iron shot this morning. It has also helped with my hybrids. If (there is always a if) I could only get my driver going straighter those 80's would be coming a lot quicker. Next round I think it will be 3H off the tee for all holes and leave my driver in the car.

I'd like to leave my driver in the bag too but I'm capable of hitting every club badly. I'm an equal opportunity hacker :)

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Didn't even come close last time out but I am not discouraged.

Played from 6800 which is much longer than what I usually play from. My chipping was atrocious. For the first time ever playing in Florida I though I did ok.

Next round will be better

Didn't even come close last time out but I am not discouraged.

Played from 6800 which is much longer than what I usually play from. My chipping was atrocious. For the first time ever playing in Florida I though I did ok.

Next round will be better

ugh, 6800 is long!

I usually try to stay around 6200-6300

ugh, 6800 is long!

I usually try to stay around 6200-6300
Yeah and I didn't putt well at all but that was a direct result of my short game. Wedge in had from 90 and in and missed greens and a couple times left myself 60 foot putts. Just miserable

I feel your pain on the ups and downs in this game, I played Friday. I was even through 6 and then doubled the last 3 holes and then continued playing poorly on the back. Finished the day with a 91 and felt like I was scrambling at some point on every hole on the back 9. I really need to quit being a head case when I get a good round going.

I'd do better to leave the driver in the bag on anything shorter than 350y... I recently picked up another hybrid (17 degree; basically a 2i) that's good for 210 or so of the tee and is much more reliable than driver for hitting the fairway. I probably gave up at least 4 shots in my last round punching out sideways from the trees after an errant driver.

Feeling really good about things, though - I'm encouraged. I'll probably get out again Friday. I should come up with a game plan first... make decisions about which club to use off the tee before I get to the course and then stick to the plan.

Back