Callaway XR16 Sub Zero Driver Preview

Test and Review the Callaway Sub Zero Driver for Callaway Golf

Test and Review the Callaway Sub Zero Driver for Callaway Golf

http://www.callawaygolf.com/community/#/discussion/847/xr-16-sub-zero-driver-test-registration/p1

Are you a big hitter? Are you fighting against too much spin? Inspired by the big bombers on Tour, we have created a very limited driver for the guys who hit it hard and spin it a lot.

The XR Sub Zero uses a newer, lighter weight Carbon Triax crown which was the key to lowering its CG below the neutral axis, a very difficult feat. With the ability to move the weight screws on the sole, golfers can opt for forward CG for a penetrating flight or rear CG for a bit more forgiveness and higher launch.

We are looking for some of the better players in the Callaway Community to put this head through the ringer and write a review that will be posted on the Community for other members to read.

Also a first in Callaway Community product testing history: because XR 16 Sub Zero does not have a stock shaft or stock length, testers will get to select the exact shaft, length, and grip that they want to test with. Like all tests, however, testers must return the club when they are done.

I signed up for this, pretty sure I am not even remotely their target person to test this club.

But what the heck, even slow old guys may get some benefit from the tech. If it rolls out 10 yards more than I get now and goes straight I would buy it. I really don't care if the ball only gets 10 ft off the ground as long as it goes.

Signed up. I tested the Matrix Speedrulz for them previously, would love to test this head out as well.

What is considered high swing speed in terms of getting the most out of this driver? 110+?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

What is considered high swing speed in terms of getting the most out of this driver? 110+?

Tough to say. I think it's more spin based than anything else in my opinion. Danny at UST is smitten over it.

Tough to say. I think it's more spin based than anything else in my opinion. Danny at UST is smitten over it.
Only reason is I have such a hard time lowering my spin and I am usually in the 100 to 105 range. Didn't know if it would be a decent fit or not.

Only reason is I have such a hard time lowering my spin and I am usually in the 100 to 105 range. Didn't know if it would be a decent fit or not.

It would be worth a test. I'm the same range and I lowered spin by quite a bit.

Maybe there will be one at the Gauntlet...

Maybe there will be one at the Gauntlet...

If not I'll have one for you to try.

Heavily taped up. I hope you like an E-7 swing weight.

Last edited:
You trust I won't sky mark it?

While I don't like the idea of giving up 20 cc's the Razrfit Xtreme I have is 440 if I'm not mistaken and it didn't seem any smaller to me. I'm curious if placing the heavy weight in the rear makes it more forgiving than the 816 or 815.

While I don't like the idea of giving up 20 cc's the Razrfit Xtreme I have is 440 if I'm not mistaken and it didn't seem any smaller to me. I'm curious if placing the heavy weight in the rear makes it more forgiving than the 816 or 815.
If it holds true like most over drivers with move able weight, then I'm sure heavy weight back will have better sound. I am so curious about this driver

If it holds true like most over drivers with move able weight, then I'm sure heavy weight back will have better sound. I am so curious about this driver

I figured you'd have one already

Man just when I started getting used to the matte finishes...

It is not even possible to order yet is it? But then again Kang does have a guy that he does a LOT of business with:alien:

It is not even possible to order yet is it? But then again Kang does have a guy that he does a LOT of business with:alien:
I had the opportunity to grab a tour issue one which would have cost about 50% more than the retail price but passed

I 99% sure I will order one, might be a complete fail but what the heck. It might turn out to be easier to hit than we think by the promo's.

I 99% sure I will order one, might be a complete fail but what the heck. It might turn out to be easier to hit than we think by the promo's.

They marketed both the 815 DBD and 816 DBD as better player's clubs and especially with the 815 I was extremely impressed with the forgiveness. It went up against the more forgiving driver types and in the simulator I was hitting it the straightest and longest and it wasn't even close. If Callaway hadn't marketed it as harder to hit I would have never guessed.

I had the opportunity to grab a tour issue one which would have cost about 50% more than the retail price but passed

But it would be 100% cooler!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had a little email chat with Ethan G. and he pretty well convinced me this is not for my old miss the center, slow swinging butt. I would still love to try it, but it not being available to demo makes it even more tough to pull the trigger on it.

Maybe we will get some feedback from JB prior to Club Clash and maybe just maybe it is not as difficult as advertised.

I put in to test this, but either way I think I'll end up getting one of these.

I did also, but I doubt I would be selected. I would think they want low caps with big swings, I have neither of those things.

This driver definitely has my interest for club clash!

Back