Custom Project X Shaft Review Thread

Thanks, good info there DB. I'll have to try gripping down a little and see if it makes any difference in clubhead speed, may actually be a non issue. I think having the swing weights measured has made me think about it more than I would have otherwise.

I personally only adjust the swing weights if they are off by several points, unless it is an easy adjustment like on a driver with adjustable weighting, but if my 8 iron is D4 and my 7 is D2, I don't fret. Most OEM sets are shipped +/-1 SW point, and I don't think I am good enough to know the difference. SW is not nearly as important as your lie angles and lofts for gapping being correct.

DB

Another good day with the custom shaft. 12/14 fairways with it. Just in love with it. Good high launch that gave best carry distance which was needed on saturated fairways.

Okay one more review for old time's sake. I took out my Callaway 815 DBD to the range a week or two ago and she's back in the bag again.

Yesterday I played Royal Vista the South and East course.

First hole - 454 uphill par five. Hit a high fade 260 yards which stayed on the right side of the fairway. Impact felt great but I know I left the face a tad open.
Third hole - 363 yard downhill par four. Hit a high draw 323 yards which ran at least 25 yards. Right side of the fairway because fairway slopes that direction.
Fourth hole - 349 uphill par four. Hit a mid trajectory fade 290 yards. At this point I was feeling pretty good with the head/shaft combination. The impact with the 815 is a better feeling than the 816.
Fifth hole - 484 yard dogleg left par five. The impact felt sweet but I hit an overcooked draw OB to the left.
Sixth hole - 302 yards downhill par four. Another sweet feeling drive but again OB left just barely. Both OB drives were due to my coming over the top and closing the face.
Eighth hole - 311 yards downhill par four. Hit a nice mid trajectory draw that came up about 10 yards short of the green. My chip was even better though from behind a tree.

First hole - 479 yard downhill par five. Crushed the drive with the perfect amount of draw. Had 175 yards to the green.
Second hole - 405 yard downhill par four. Hit a draw onto the next fairway but had an open shot 130 yards out.
Fifth hole - 368 yard par four. Another draw OB which happens a lot as the tee box points you left of the fairway and towards the homes. I hit a really nice drive.
Seventh hole - 491 yard downhill par five. The money shot. Crushed a high draw that ran like hell. All I'm saying is PW into the green! And birdie.
Eight hole - Slightly uphill 372 par four. Another great drive. Mid trajectory cut that left me with 90 yards to the green. I hit a LW to 3 feet then sucked it off the green completely.

So the driver performed exceptionally well for me. There was only one piss poor drive and the two other OB drives weren't that bad. 815 head and Project X shaft combo is the sweetest feeling driver I've ever experienced. My swing speed is in the 110-115 mph range and I always thought I needed a 3.0 or less torque shaft with is most definitely not the case. I would encourage anyone with a mid to slow tempo swing to consider shafts (of course Project X in particular!) with torque ranging in the 3.5-4.5 area. The feel is so much smoother. Also I found that a high launching, low spin shaft is absolutely the way to go for my type of swing. I really believe the HZRDUS Red will fit a wide range of golfers. Don't get me wrong I know there are golfers here who will definitely need the black and yellow but for my money the Red is gonna be something truly special.

Took the HandCrafted shaft out for a spin today. It had been a few weeks, played a new (to me) course, with some elevation changes. Temps were ow 50's, light breeze and a wet course.

Here is a new one for you - 13/13 FIR!! This may be the first time this has ever happened!! I did miss two shots, both ended up in good shape.

Drives today were mid flight, very little movement on any drive, but either draw or fade, depending on what I wanted to do. Never double crossed myself, so the swing was good.

I played with two other guys who I play with regularly, one of which is usually around me on my drives. Not today - I was always the long hitter, on a few holes by more than 20 yds.

Overall, maybe the best driving day I have ever had. Long, straight, what more can you ask for?

13/13 is no joke. Well done sir.

Indeed, that is impressive! I'm not sure I've ever done that...

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I do 13/13 all the time but I wanted Spivey to feel special cause I'm a sport like that.

I do 13/13 all the time but I wanted Spivey to feel special cause I'm a sport like that.

You are too kind. And you clearly haven't seen me play!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice work Dave! 13/13, can't ask for more than that.

I got out to the range yesterday. First time in a few weeks swinging a club. I had hurt my neck a little back so I was really focused on taking nice, easy swings. It was like I never took a break with my driver. I was seeing perfect mid-high drives that seemed to just keep carrying and were going dead straight. By far, my best results come when I'm making a nice, controlled swings. Had one guy next to me start chatting me up as I was cranking out drive after drive. He was asking what club I had and I started telling him more about the shaft and the whole #HandCraftedExperience. By the time we were done talking he was definitely interested in trying out some of Project X's shafts in his current driver to see if that will cure his driver woes. Gotta say though, with his swing it probably won't do much but I'll pass up a chance to talk up Project X and how awesome they are!

11/14 fairways today with the custom shaft. Absolutely love this thing. Of the misses all three were just off the fairway, one did find a bunker, but still a well struck ball on a good line, just drew a yard too much. I love how my misses are still good shots. Can't see why I'd ever want to switch out this shaft!

Since I just played my first round of the year that counted for cap on Saturday, figured I'd drop a review in here! Had a tale of two nines with the Vapor where I drove the ball absolutely beautifully on the front 9 and then lost everything on the back. I am constantly amazed at the smoothness of this shaft, and how tolerable low face misses are. The profile of the shaft helps me get those shots up in the air pretty nicely (obviously not perfect, but better than expected). I won't go into hole-by-hole details, but suffice it to say this beauty is here to stay.

The custom shaft will be in play for the #THPCallout w Tanker337 on March 20th.

Went to the range yesterday and spent a lot of time with the driver. Started off catching everything off the heel (was doing this with all clubs) and was losing it right but not nearly as bad as it could of been. However, once I got settled in I was hitting some perfect drives that weren't moving at all off their line, even when I was still catching some off the heel. I really like the trajectory this shaft produces for me. Nice piercing trajectory that produces a mid ball flight that carries and carries. I'm going for an iron and driver fitting on April 2nd. For the driver portion of the fitting I'm not going to bother with any other shafts. I'm putting a TaylorMade adapter on my raw custom shaft and will hit the M1, M2, GBB and XR 16. If I do get a new driver I'm 100% sure this shaft is going in it.

So today I went to the range at my home course. Was a little inconsistent across the board until I took out my driver. I don't know what it was but I was absolutely bombing every shot. The ball just felt like it was exploding off the face. Gentle fades that just seemed to carry forever. The trajectory was towering and the ball was going right where I wanted it to. A lot of fun today with the BB 815 and the #HandCrafted custom shaft from Project X!

My game is certainly off in most aspects, except my driving. I'm just drilling my driver with the custom shaft. Now I just need Don and Project X and THP to create a shaft event aimed at the rest of my bag.

I'm gonna sound like an echo, but I'm the same way as the guys above. My short game is garbage and my irons are just decent (still grooving the new set), but damn it my driving is solid right now and a lot of it is because of this amazing shaft. It's just supple enough to give me great feel through the swing, but I can simultaneously go after it pretty hard and the shaft holds up no problem. Just so happy with my driver setup (really, both setups) right now.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I'm looking to put a new adapter on the raw shaft so I can do some head to head with a different company. Does anyone know if this is a .335 tip? That's what I'm assuming it is based off Project X's website.

Played 18 today w the #HandCrafted ProjectX shaft.
Overall - I hit this pretty well today. Took some aggressive lines with mixed results. Ball was pretty straight all day. While the FIR wasn't very good, all shots were in play, only 3 in the desert.
Slight fade on 1, mid height, 265 yds.
Left on 2, rough, 245 yds, mid draw.
Pushed right on 5, desert, around 230 yds.
Left rough on 6, 260 yds, straight, mid flight.
Right bunker on 7, around 230 yds.
Fairway on 8, low-mid flight w roll, 262 yds.
260 yds on 10, left rough, mid flight.
Ripped a drive center cut on 13, 296 yds. Mid flight. Just a monster drive, air mailed my partner.
14 is another 295 yd drive, left rough, through the fairway but not into a wash splitting the fairway.
15 was a left desert ball - line was too aggressive, ended up under a tree 255 yd drive.
16 left rough, 295 yds, a little too aggressive again.
18 - in the left desert 290 yds, thru the fairway. Mid-high flight.
While the driver did not hit many fairways, I played most shots left because of the fades during warm up and on the first few holes. I did not hit the right rough after the 7th hole but still played the fade. It got me in trouble, but never unmanageable.
The shaft is just solid- great flight, lack of dispersion, and center contact feels so good!!

Last edited:
Might as well throw in some info from my 9 holes last night. Went strait to the tee and hit it off the toe not the shaft there. Then proceeded to pipe them dead straight the rest of the round. IMO the perfect height and just love the stable feel I get with it. I feel like I no problem backing off a little when I need to or attacking the ball. The shaft flat out performs for me and I really think adding that extra flag to the tip has been money for me.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I'm looking to put a new adapter on the raw shaft so I can do some head to head with a different company. Does anyone know if this is a .335 tip? That's what I'm assuming it is based off Project X's website.

They're .335

Would t that be head to head vs you the designer?

Enjoyed the #HandCrafted shaft today w my #THPCallOut with tanker337.

I almost feel bad saying this - I absolutely crushed this club today. Did not use it on every par 4, did on every par 5. When I say crushed, I mean CRUSHED!!! Like up to 50 yds in front of tanker.
Funny thing - the lines I took today were pretty aggressive. I outdrove fairways on my lines, never expecting to hit the ball as far as I did. Like 260 yds into the wind. Or 205 yds out on a 495 yd par 5. I hooked one shot, deep into the desert, but my provisional ball was 121 yds from the pin, into the wind, on a 420 yd par 4 (big downhill drop).

Just great dispersion - I was only a little off my line most of the day (take away the hook). Like I said - thru the fairway on aggressive lines.

Good grief - I love this shaft! Really cannot thank DB, THP and ProjectX for this kick-butt piece of golf equipment!

Used the HandCrafted ProjectX shaft today during my (course scouting) round for #TheGauntlet.

11/14 FIR. Had the ball moving in both directions today, good height, not too high, nothing too low, either. Missed three swings, one block right (long right) and two draws that kept going left with a cross wind. One ball I just mis-judged the fairway distance, rolled thru the right fairway onto the dirt just off grass.
This driver shaft feels so good, such good results. I am not sure what is going on, but I am hitting this club longer now than I was at the event. Probably swing is improving, but the flight of the ball is exactly what I want to see. I can get this club to do almost whatever I "tell" it to do, and if I need some additional height for a downwind shot, it is right there.
I am so pleased to have this driver shaft. I just need to narrow my dispersion a bit, and let the misses be a little less penal, and all will be perfect with the world!!

Figured I'd bump this one as well for the fellas who just got into the #HandCraftedExperience. I'm still loving my shaft. My driver swing is absolutely atrocious right now but it has nothing to do with the shaft.

I've been absolutely smashing my driver for the 2.5 rounds. Something clicked on the last 9 of the Regional Rivalry and since then it's been my best club in the bag. On a tight course that I had never played before I hit 10/14 fairways, 9/13 with my driver. I was swinging it with confidence and hitting it straight and long. Today on my home course I took driver on all 14 holes, something I never do. I hit 11/14 fairways and my misses were all just off the fairway. I have so much confidence in my driver and a huge reason why is my #HandCraftedExperience shaft. It took a little while to get going this year with the driver but right now I have more confidence in my driver combo than I do at laying up with a fairway wood. I just continue to be so happy with this shaft and can't wait to follow along with the guys this August! I just felt like giving a big thanks to PX and THP, this shaft rocks and I still think back to how awesome the entire #HandCraftedExperience was!

Back