Do you Finish Strong?

OITW

Reaction score
Was looking at rounds and scores from last year and a few times I flirted with breaking 80, was not successful. In a few of those cases it came down to Finishing Strong down the stretch (last 3 holes).

Do you finish strong down the stretch? What is your best 16, 17, 18 scores to finish a round?

For me I had two rounds last year where I finished the last three holes at even par (which was my best). Both were done different ways.

My most memorable was Oyster Bay Golf Links in Sunset Beach. We went off the back 9 so my finishing holes were 7,8,9.

I double bogeyed 7 (a short par 4) then proceeded to birdie the next two holes (par 3 and a par 5) I had the Eagle opportunity on 9 but two putted instead.

So what say you?

The best I've done down the stretch is Birdie - Par - Birdie - Birdie. Par 5, 4, 3, 5. But heck that was only one time. I've had looks at eagle last year on 18 as well. I find it difficult to finish strong when I'm playing really well. The possible score starts flashing in my mind and instead of playing golf, I'm playing don't screw it up.

I guess the answer is "sometimes". I have finished birdie par birdie but I have also gone double bogey, double, bogey, bogey!!!

Im a firm sometimes.

My best was a birdie-par-birdie finish last season to shoot my first 18 hole even par 72.

My guess is if I had the statistics my final hole score wouldn't be any better or worse on average than any other hole. If I had to guess the only one that would be slightly worse is the opening hole.

Can't say for certain, I try to avoid looking at the card/score just so I don't have to press down the stretch. I usually have a good idea of where I am though. Best finish for me, par, birdie par last weekend. par 4,3,4

it seems to me that i have a curse ....if i start strong i finish bad and if i start bad i finish strong....go figure

3 of the last 4 holes at my club are pretty tough. 15 is 215 over water with a 200+ yard carry to the front of the green, 16 is 597 uphill, and 18 is 455 usually with wind in your face or quartering across from the right. Even par and I'm very happy on those 3 holes. My best is 2 under on the last 3 at my home course.

I have had some rounds where I finished strong and some where it could have been a little better.

My best score for last 3 holes as been -1. Went birdie, par, par.

I tend to finish stronger when I'm not playing well. It's the difference in pre-shot thoughts between "lets turn this around" and "lets not screw this up."

I think I'd have to start well to worry about finishing strong, and that rarely happens.

I would have to say that I typically finish stronger than I start, but the best I can remember playing the final 3 holes in any round was an even par finish in a tournament last year that I finished 4th in.

I honestly don't know how my stats would track-out with that. But, it's a good thing to know, IMO, so I'll start looking at that this season, and figure-out how I want to track that, and how I will use it.

Generally, no. My rounds usually start off sluggish, then near the end of the front 9 I get a par or 2 and play some bogey golf. Then it's back to a mix. I don't feel tired and I usually score close to the same score on the front and back 9's, so I'm not sure what helps me out slightly (for me) in the middle of a round. I also don't know why I loose steam right when I seem to get on track for steady bogey golf.

I think I do more so than not. I know towards the end I have the number in mind and am always fighting to get it lower.

I usually start strong then flatten out in the middle then finish strong. If I could post first 6 holes and last 6 holes only I would be pretty good

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I would say usually no. I think if I'm playing well I start to think about a PB and it usually ruins my concentration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My best finish last year was on my home course.
16 - #1 hdcp hole 569 yd par 5 - Eagle - tossed in an 85 yard lob wedge.
17 - #17 hdcp hole 155 yd par 3 straight up hill - bird - 20 ft putt.
18 - #5 hdcp hole 378 yd dog leg left - bird - 1 ft putt.

I would say usually no. I think if I'm playing well I start to think about a PB and it usually ruins my concentration.

With how you keep score you shouldn't be thinking about it.

My best finish last year was on my home course.
16 - #1 hdcp hole 569 yd par 5 - Eagle - tossed in an 85 yard lob wedge.
17 - #17 hdcp hole 155 yd par 3 straight up hill - bird - 20 ft putt.
18 - #5 hdcp hole 378 yd dog leg left - bird - 1 ft putt.

Now that is FINISHING STRONG! I like it.

With how you keep score you shouldn't be thinking about it.

That's very true.

I've honestly never really thought about it. I can be a streaky player and when my putter gets hot I can make quite a few birdies, whether that happens at the beginning, middle, or end of a round is just random I guess.

I went back and looked at a few cards (I've finished with par the last two times I've gone out), and outside of a course or two where the last hole just doesn't sit well with me, I actually tend to finish pretty strong. Even during bad rounds, I'll often have a par or birdie to finish the round. I've had a few weeks where I've had to come in hot to my league match, played like garbage to start and won the match by going even or -1 through the last 5 holes.

Sometimes? I'd say I'm fairly consistent start to finish though. My last 3 will be pretty consistent to most other 3 hole stretches on the card on a given day.

HaHa. What an untimely (for me) question to post. Normally, I would have said I finish nines, or rounds, pretty well. If anything, I start slow and finish stronger. But, lately (the last month or so), I noticed that no matter how well I might be playing, I screw up #9 and sometimes #18 to really hurt my score. It's gotten into my head, mainly because of how it happens. I hit a very good drive, a great lay up (on 9, the par 5), and then blade or shank my approach. When I finally get on the green, I 3-putt the damn thing. I've got to get over this.

Back