Trying to Break 100

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice hit me up next time you are going to Big Met. I live like 2 minutes away.
I'm going to be off work next Tuesday, got a Dr. Apointment in the morning, but am hoping to get out on a course around noon. Shall I keep you posted?

Trying to Break 100

Got the eagle last summer. Still chasing a consistent game.
Hell you got the hardest one out early. Practice and confidence are your only friend in the consistency game. Best of luck!

Last edited:
I'm going to be off work next Tuesday, got a Dr. Apointment in the morning, but am hoping to get out on a course around noon. Shall I keep you posted?
Yeah let me know I can golf on weekdays. PM me or post in the local thread so we don't highjack this one

If only I had had the daylight to fit in another nine! Played really well yesterday. While I only made 2 GIR, I left myself very close on a number of holes, close enough to get up and down (13 putts total). The key for me today was to really just pull an extra club length on just about every shot. While I know my distances relatively well, I haven't really adjusted for the cold weather or poor ground conditions, but I did so yesterday and saw good results. The worst hole yesterday was a double on the first par 3, 163 yards. I plunked my tee shot into the drink, took my penalty, re-teed and put my next shot pin high about twenty feet to the right. Two putted for a double. Other than that, I scrambled well (I thought).

Hoping I've turned a corner. I have to say, that switching to the W/S D100 ES's for the 4, 5 and 6 hybrids (and playing them in stiff flex) has given me a nice, straight ball flight. I really managed to stay out of trouble and keep it in the fairway. Along with the 6/7 FIR with the F6 ... while I might not be long, staying in the short grass really does help. That combination really worked to my advantage yesterday and I hope to keep it up.

Have a lesson on the 14th, and I'm excited/anxious to see where he takes me in regards to my swing and play.

40.jpg

If only I had had the daylight to fit in another nine! Played really well yesterday. While I only made 2 GIR, I left myself very close on a number of holes, close enough to get up and down (13 putts total). The key for me today was to really just pull an extra club length on just about every shot. While I know my distances relatively well, I haven't really adjusted for the cold weather or poor ground conditions, but I did so yesterday and saw good results. The worst hole yesterday was a double on the first par 3, 163 yards. I plunked my tee shot into the drink, took my penalty, re-teed and put my next shot pin high about twenty feet to the right. Two putted for a double. Other than that, I scrambled well (I thought).

Hoping I've turned a corner. I have to say, that switching to the W/S D100 ES's for the 4, 5 and 6 hybrids (and playing them in stiff flex) has given me a nice, straight ball flight. I really managed to stay out of trouble and keep it in the fairway. Along with the 6/7 FIR with the F6 ... while I might not be long, staying in the short grass really does help. That combination really worked to my advantage yesterday and I hope to keep it up.

Have a lesson on the 14th, and I'm excited/anxious to see where he takes me in regards to my swing and play.

View attachment 23744

That's a sweet 40 you put up deuce! Moving on to the "Breaking 80" thread soon? Good luck with the lesson. Taking more club is never a bad idea for me lol!

Well done Duece

Had a horrible on-course practice round today. Feels like I took a step back. Hopefully the next round will be good though.

Had a horrible on-course practice round today. Feels like I took a step back. Hopefully the next round will be good though.

Practice rounds doesn't mean your supposed to score well man. Practice rounds are to learn and to work on your game don't beat yourself up.

Well done on the 40 Duece, that's solid!

You got greedy and the golf gods brought you back to reality ! :)

Another horrid 114 today. Need to get lessons on how to hit the driver I was fit into. Lots of drop 3s today. Short game is still rusty, but it smoothed out as the day went on.

Another round of the Good, the Bad and the Ugly.

The good was today's front 9 at Coyote Ridge. That's a great course and I went out in 54, with 2 pars! Two long putts (<20') made it a great round. 54! I'm cooking!

The bad was that I was congratulating myself on no snowmen on the front 9 as I stepped to the tee box at #9... After hitting my first ball onto the driving range and one in the water and another in the evergreens I found Frosty waiting for me on the green. :(

The ugly was the back nine. I completely fell apart. I shot 69 - a dreadful round in which I lost my swing for a while. On one hole I couldn't hit my 4H at all. Put four in the creek. All of them sprayed off the toe dead right. What in the world?! Finally pulled my six iron to just get around the course but had FOUR snowmen and two sevens. Ugh.

This after shooting 107 a couple of weeks back and feeling like I might be making progress. The 54 felt good too ... And then a total meltdown. Yuck. Double yuck. 123! I hate shooting in the 120's!

Last edited:
Mark, we all hate them!!

Now to be serious for a moment. Personally, if I hit a club poorly 2 times in a row, I'll bag it for the round and try a club that I have more confidence in. I've had rounds where I couldn't hit clubs I usually hit well, and didn't play smart and not touch them again, and killed the round. I've actually gone 14 holes using only irons because all my wood-like clubs were just off.

45/48 for a 93 at Fox Creek Golf Club. Played at 5850 yards from the whites. Two doubles and two pars mixed in with bogeys on the front. On the back, made one par but four doubles really stressed the game. On the last three holes I knew I needed par's all around to shoot 90 but I went par, bogey, double. Overall, it wasn't a bad round. Decent off the tee (over 60% FIR) with a long of 230 yards, and no topped shots ... though plenty of fat ones. At least the D100 ES hybrids and C200 irons are plenty forgiving. Had three GIR which is good for me, but the short game just wasn't working for me ... 38 putts and no one putts today because I simply couldn't get it close enough. Oh well, game is still a work in progress.

45/48 for a 93 at Fox Creek Golf Club. Played at 5850 yards from the whites. Two doubles and two pars mixed in with bogeys on the front. On the back, made one par but four doubles really stressed the game. On the last three holes I knew I needed par's all around to shoot 90 but I went par, bogey, double. Overall, it wasn't a bad round. Decent off the tee (over 60% FIR) with a long of 230 yards, and no topped shots ... though plenty of fat ones. At least the D100 ES hybrids and C200 irons are plenty forgiving. Had three GIR which is good for me, but the short game just wasn't working for me ... 38 putts and no one putts today because I simply couldn't get it close enough. Oh well, game is still a work in progress.
All in all, not a bad round. You know where you lost some strokes, so you can focus on that this week. Own those approach shots! The wedge is calling!

Mark, we all hate them!!

Now to be serious for a moment. Personally, if I hit a club poorly 2 times in a row, I'll bag it for the round and try a club that I have more confidence in. I've had rounds where I couldn't hit clubs I usually hit well, and didn't play smart and not touch them again, and killed the round. I've actually gone 14 holes using only irons because all my wood-like clubs were just off.

that's a legit point. I had a lot of problems but a big one was only 3 fairways hit. was fishing out of trouble all day, and made two super long putts to save bogeys or par. eventually that catches up with you. need to cure the slice. watched some video today and will get out the bag and wham it some with driver to see if I can cure the open face that cost me four balls into the creek!

So, as I still reign as Supreme Ruler of Fake Golf, I was done playing my sim nine, and had some moments to kill, so set up the sim for the range and started to hack away.

I hadn't been hitting my 3W or 7W all that great, so I tried a little something different. (A bit of background: I am a shrimpy 5'4".) I thought I would choke down on them, and see how I hit. Not to half-step any swing tweak, I decided to choke up on them until the end of the grip, essentially shortening the clubs by about 3". And proceeded to strike them cleanly and with decent distance.

At that point, a Homer Simpson-esque internal dialogue began. "Hmm, I hit those pretty well." "Well, most clubs are set up for guys who are 5' 8", and you are 4 inches shorter." "Hmmm, you make sense, brain."

So, I'm going to try that again this weekend, and see how it goes. The only drawback, (no pun intended) was a tendency to hook the ball somewhat.

I'll report back on the results.

So, I'm going to try that again this weekend, and see how it goes. The only drawback, (no pun intended) was a tendency to hook the ball somewhat.
My old instructor used to tell me a hook is easier to correct than a slice ... so maybe you're onto something!

I think it might have something to do with the club, being "shorter", coming through faster and closing down the face. Might just be a little tempo thing that will alleviate it. I have some range work to do to figure it out.

Shot a 49 at Oakmont in my sim league today. My driver stinks, but I was hitting the wedge pretty well.

Hit balls for about 30 minutes after, primarily with the 7-wood. I want to be able to hit it when I'm in the fairway, just looking to advance the ball into wedge range. I hit it probably 40 times (2 medium buckets worth) and was getting some nice straight shots. Not sure of the distance, since I was in the Dome, but the handy little tracker on the bay divider said 155-166 for solid hits.

I' choking down on the club to the end of the grip, I don't care about distance anymore, just clean, straight shots.

I shot a 98 today, which I should be happy with. The fact that it was on a very easy course and was my first penalty free round means I think I should have done better.

I shot a 98 today, which I should be happy with. The fact that it was on a very easy course and was my first penalty free round means I think I should have done better.
Revel in your good round with no regrets. No "Shoulda, woulda, coulda" allowed. Just remember you WILL do better in the future.

My first outing of the year only had me playing for 4 holes and I had a double, double, bogey, and par. I quit because my hands were frozen and the course was really wet. I went out the next day and did two practice sessions for two hours each with just chipping, pitching, and putting. The course was closed (wet) so I had the practice green to myself. I was the only sole there the whole time. I came away from those sessions feeling pretty good for the short game with just a 44, 50, 56, 60, and putter in my hands.

It warmed up to 54 degrees so I got 18 holes in with the cart. Everything was from the senior tees because of winter mtce. on the blues and whites. Some holes it is not that big of a deal but others I would have no doubt an accomplished player could be bombing them onto the greens on some par 4's. I came away from that with a 104 and it felt like I was holding back the floodgates a time or two. What puzzled me was my short game was terrible with some skulls wrecking a hole. My driver was also very weak when I finally brought it out. I think I had 3 or 4 moon balls that went from 120 to 140 yards. The ball was tee'd way to high for starters and for me, that little detail seems to be a critical thing with my diminished talents. That is when the scores started to climb too when Mr. Driver showed his face.

My next round was 9 holes and I walked. It was 40 degrees out with a slight breeze. As long as I was moving then it wasn't bad. I managed to get a 46 despite lackluster drives (hooks) and shoddy chipping and putting. Those babies are coming off the wedges hot... hot... hot.

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/srx700xxx/round/779664

Earlier today, I played 18 with half of it with another guy that was just coming back from the practice green. It was 38 degrees when we started but it felt nice with little to no wind at all. The air coming at you when driving the cart was a little cold on the ears. I came away with a 92 which surprised me because my putting was painful. I missed more than a couple that were gimmies for some folk but the good thing is the iron play is coming along nicely like it was right near the end of last season. I did a little change with some forward shaft lean and de-lofting the club. I gained about 1 to 1 1/2 clubs by doing that and I seem to be getting the distances dialed in. I'm also trying to bend the left leg and turning more. I'm don't get much body turn with this fake hip. If it is turning, it doesn't seem in sync and I'd hate to see it on film right about now. Sometimes I sense a little Elvis leg action going on when I try to wail on it. It may sound funny but I'm actually looking at the ball at contact. It works too. Duh! The sound coming off the club is sweet music. I still don't hit them as far as most in my handicap range but at least they are consistent. I did start swinging the driver with a little more gusto so hitting from the golden tees made for some 90 to 75 yard wedges for the second shot. I was using an orange Maxfli Softfli for all of these rounds.

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/srx700xxx/round/781936

When I came back to the clubhouse, it warmed up to 40 so I decided to go back around. I mixed it up and pulled out a yellow Callaway Chrome for this stint. I had intentions of playing 18 but I knew darkness would probably be making me hurry so I ended up only doing 9. Things got interesting right at the start when I was ready to tee off. I heard a vehicle stop in the parking lot and it was my brother. My harshest critic of my golf game besides myself. lol He was watching me all the way to teeing off on number 5. I was on fire!!! The wheels started to fall off when I got a double on number 5 and then proceeded to blast something wicked off from number 6. I could not find the damn ball so I took a penalty and re-tee'd. I butchered my way to a quad of all things. I regained my composure with my first birdie of the year!!! I got out of there with a 42 which is my best ever 9 hole round. Too bad about those two holes but that's the way it goes.

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/srx700xxx/round/781940

The takeaways are my short game needs more attention. For some reason when I get out on the course I don't swing through and let the loft do its thing. I'm either decelerating or doing some kind of fast swing then stop and they come out like a rocket. I'm not lining up putts with the line either because too much bending over will wreck my back. I'm sure something could be gained from that alone. Also, downhill lies can make things go south in a hurry for me more so than an uphill lie. Need to work on that because this course has you always standing on uneven terrain. Playing from the Gold tees 66.5/117/5077 is making me look good compared to my usual White 69.2/124/5808. It sure builds confidence and I'll take it at this stage of the game.

Tomorrow might be my last day for awhile. The Doctor has to cut some stuff out in a few days so who knows how deep the digging will be. Note sure if I'll feel like playing.

Sorry for the ramble ...... I'm stoked! lol

Srx, good ramble. Sorry to hear about the doctor having to go back in and dig around. Hopefully, nothing serious.

Revel in your good round with no regrets. No "Shoulda, woulda, coulda" allowed. Just remember you WILL do better in the future.

I have a feeling that your positive attitude will take you to much better places in the game than I'll ever be able to achieve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back