Ping G30 LS Tec Driver - Review Thread

So I've probably been thru 25plus drivers over the last 20 years (probably not the only one on here with this problem), and I have to say this is the best driver I have ever owned. Results may vary, because everyone swings it a bit different and people prefer different things, but I really have found a new love for the game with this club. I don't know about the turbulators and can't speak to any benefit they may offer (except they make the club resemble the batmobile which I kinda dig) but the low spin is not hype, it really delivers. My last five or so drivers were TaylorMades and I would often plug or get very little roll. This club sends the ball down the fairway with quite a bit of roll after landing (for me anyways). I hover between a 2 and 3 handicap and I rarely sniffed 300 yards with my previous drivers, but every round with this club I have a couple that are at or over 300 and many that are 285-290. This week my work had a 9 hole golf outing, the third hole was the long drive hole. I won with no wind assist or outside help, my skycaddie had me at 305. The course is down the street and I play there 3 times a week, I had always hit 7, 8 or 9 irons into that hole. This season I am hitting lob wedges in half the time after picking up the LS Tec. I also switched to the new Callaway Chrome Soft ball this year, I don't know how much of an effect this has had on my driving because I switched balls about the same time I picked up this driver, but after 2 months I am loving it. I spent 2 hours at a Golfsmith hitting bay on a launch monitor with the help of one of my best friends who is a club builder there, and we went thru almost every new offering by the major brands that came out this year. The Ping beat out everything I tried, and the numbers looked too good to be true in the store but so far they are playing out in real life conditions. Mine is a 9 degree with the tour stiff shaft, I have never taken it off 9. Sorry for the long post, I guess my point is anyone who is curious about this club just bite the bullet and give it a try. I am really, really glad I did. And no, I do not work for Ping. I'm a junior high teacher which means I have all summer to golf but not much money to do it :)

Recently, I'm having issues finding the sweet spot with thus driver. Going to take a lesson and try to get this straightened out. Hope.I can, because I'm starting to get tempted to try a Big Bertha Alpha from CPO.
Nothing like a great lesson. My teacher straightened me out and I was killing it at the range tonight. I brought out my old Amp Cell Pro just to see if I could hit it better than the G30...not a chance.

Just picked up a ls tec head after I cracked my standard head on a launch monitor. I will be using my fujikura Evo speeder 575 stiff shaft in it. I was averaging 1900 rpm on ball spin with the standard head so curious to see how this head does when when I get back to the lm. The sound is much better on the 4 balls I hit with it today. I average 117mph swing speed and was getting 170mph ball speed with a over distance of 338 on the standard head. If I can get longer and less spin with the ls head that would be really great. I'll post some more feedback after my two day tourney thus weekend.

Thats very long. Congrats on finding the club head you are digging.

338? Holy hell....I can't even fathom.

Would really enjoy meeting you at a THP event and witnessing that in person (preferably on your team).

Whaaaa (picks jaw up of floor)

Those are some fantastic numbers, play well this weekend.

After really struggling with the LS head and getting rid of it, I decided to give it one more shot with the same shaft I've got in my J40. I don't think it was a case of me just swinging well because I struggled with every other club, but what a difference it made for me. I did not get along with the Ping Tour shaft--my misses were all over the place. Teeing the ball up higher and with the ahina in there, I am shocked how much of a difference it made. I am hoping it's not a flash in the pan, but I finally saw today the forgiveness that a lot of folks have praised this head for having.

I made a thread but nobody really replied so I think I'll mention it here.

Does anyone, like myself, get fit at demo day....killing the demo only to order it and not hit it as well? MY thought is when I ordered a club with the x shaft, ping customizes the removable weight to get the club to a D-3.

Now at demo day, what shaft is THAT head customized with? What is the weight of the removable weight??

I emailed Ping and they gave me a list of letter and corresponding weights from 4grams to 14 grams. So the head I have is 10.5 grams....who's to say the head I hit at demo daybdidnt have a 4 gram or a 14 gram weight in it.????

I'm a bit pissed at Ping because I got fitted and the weight screw was never mentioned. Now I've got a call in to the Ping rep who has the demo head to see what the weight of the screw is so I can buy one.

Does anyone, like myself, get fit at demo day....killing the demo only to order it and not hit it as well? MY thought is when I ordered a club with the x shaft, ping customizes the removable weight to get the club to a D-3.

Now at demo day, what shaft is THAT head customized with? What is the weight of the removable weight??

I emailed Ping and they gave me a list of letter and corresponding weights from 4grams to 14 grams. So the head I have is 10.5 grams....who's to say the head I hit at demo daybdidnt have a 4 gram or a 14 gram weight in it.????

I'm a bit pissed at Ping because I got fitted and the weight screw was never mentioned. Now I've got a call in to the Ping rep who has the demo head to see what the weight of the screw is so I can buy one.

I'll be honest, I was not aware of the different weights in the head, but it makes sense. Do you know for sure that the rep would know the exact head you were hitting?

Might you be able to post that list?

I would assume - never a good thing - that the heads you demoed probably have the same weight that comes with products with the stock setup. The LS may have a weight optimized for the tour shaft.

Since you're already chatting with Ping you could always ask them what goes in the demo clubs/carts, but I can't fathom that reps are going to have different weights in their pocket. When Bubba goes to Phoenix, sure.

Unscrew the weight and look on the underside of it for the letter:
N=4 grams
O=5 grams
P=6.5
Q=8.5
R=10.5
S=12.5
T=14.5

Something I noticed at the store when I unscrewed a few. The LS Tec with a stiff had the same "R" weight as mine with the X flex stock shaft. The LS Tec with the Upgraded Tour 65 stiff had the "S" weight in it. I didn't see any that had Regular shafts, nor did I take apart any standard G30 drivers.

So its interesting to me that to keep the D3 swingweight with the shorter non counterbalanced Tour shaft they raise the weight by 2 grams. So I'm thinking if I want a lighter swingweight, I can put my HOF shaft in it at the same length as the Tour shaft and it should come out to D1.

I played 9 today and while I did not have my J40 with me to compare distances, I hit a few drives that flew further than I expected. I hit one on 9 that I thought for sure I was going to be in the trap, but I walk up to see that I had flown it by 15 yards. I really do not like the sound/feel, but I am liking how straight and far I'm hitting it.

Anyone try different shafts in their LSTEC? What was your result?

Caveat - I've never experimented with shafts and know very little on the subject. I'd like to learn more. My issue with the LSTEC is that it is very easy to overswing. I have much more control with my heavier Amp Cell Pro. I can take a little off to place the ball down the center of the fairway.

With the LSTEC, my miss is a bad push to the right. Perhaps a heavier shaft may help with control?

Thanks, and sorry if this is a stupid question.

Anyone try different shafts in their LSTEC? What was your result?

Caveat - I've never experimented with shafts and know very little on the subject. I'd like to learn more. My issue with the LSTEC is that it is very easy to overswing. I have much more control with my heavier Amp Cell Pro. I can take a little off to place the ball down the center of the fairway.

With the LSTEC, my miss is a bad push to the right. Perhaps a heavier shaft may help with control?

Thanks, and sorry if this is a stupid question.

Definitely not a stupid question. Short answer is to get fitted if that is possible. I did not get along with the Tour shaft and found that going with a different shaft fit my swing better. My miss is also a push right, but when I miss it that way, I know that is more of a reflection of a swing issue I have than anything else. Putting a different shaft in the LS has helped to minimize that miss and has given me a better ball flight.

Definitely not a stupid question. Short answer is to get fitted if that is possible. I did not get along with the Tour shaft and found that going with a different shaft fit my swing better. My miss is also a push right, but when I miss it that way, I know that is more of a reflection of a swing issue I have than anything else. Putting a different shaft in the LS has helped to minimize that miss and has given me a better ball flight.
Thanks, Jeff!

Update - picked up a used Tour 65 stiff shaft. So far, I like it much better than the TFC419. Fits my swing much better, and I am seeing a vast improvement in dispersion.

I also picked up a VTS UST silver that I need to put a tip on. Will try it out this weekend.

So, I traded-in my G30 for an LS Tec. It was the right move. A little less spin, and slightly lower launch. A couple of really solid drives on 17th and 18th holes has me interested in another round with it.

I'm getting used to mine as well. This is a hard club to miss left with...and that used to be my miss. Its longer than my RBZ Tour was at the same loft. I suspect the spin reduction is the difference. As soon as I can grab a couple adapters I'm going to put my white tie, HOF sadlowski and Patriot together and see how they do vs the stock X I have in there now.

Got one out there 330 in a scramble yesterday on the LD hole! I have the 9 set at 9.5 or whatever the small + is.

Update - picked up a used Tour 65 stiff shaft. So far, I like it much better than the TFC419. Fits my swing much better, and I am seeing a vast improvement in dispersion.

I also picked up a VTS UST silver that I need to put a tip on. Will try it out this weekend.

Glad you like it. Keep us updated on how the VTS works for you.

Compared my LS Tec to my Cobra King LTD. I really want the LTD to work for me, but it has fallen behind the LS Tec, right now. I had one bad drive, (yeah that's on me) but found that I was just comfortable with the LS Tec in-hand, and I think the swings were better because of it.

Compared my LS Tec to my Cobra King LTD. I really want the LTD to work for me, but it has fallen behind the LS Tec, right now. I had one bad drive, (yeah that's on me) but found that I was just comfortable with the LS Tec in-hand, and I think the swings were better because of it.

The LS Tec has been solid for me. It is forgiving and the distance is good. No plans to replace it. I played the other day when my swing felt dialed in and the LS was a weapon off the tee.

The LS Tec has been solid for me. It is forgiving and the distance is good. No plans to replace it. I played the other day when my swing felt dialed in and the LS was a weapon off the tee.
Only thing I do not like about the LS Tec is the sound. Performance, though, with the shaft combination, has been good for me.

Only thing I do not like about the LS Tec is the sound. Performance, though, with the shaft combination, has been good for me.

I'm not a fan of the sound either, but I'm willing to overlook it with the results I'm seeing.

I find that the sound drastically changes from when you hit the sweet spot and when you don't... I take that as a good thing because it allows me to fall back on something else other than feel to know when I mishit or not.

I tried a very interesting experiment recently. I managed to find a demo G30 LS that was being sold quite cheaply. Unfortunately it only had the stock shaft in regular Flex which I thought might be a little bit soft for my Hundred mile-an-hour swing. However I seem to be hitting it pretty good in the simulator so I decided to buy it anyway figuring I could always take some other shift I had and swap it in. I decided to buy an aftermarket shaft adapter and took the shaft from one of my old favorite drivers the TaylorMade r510 TP. The shaft I'm referring to is the speeder 757 shaft however in regular Flex. Back in the day my best driving was with this particular club and shaft so I know at least at one point it was quite suited for my game. I was initially concerned that this shift might be too short and the swing weight would be too low. As it was significantly shorter than the stock shaft.
In the fact upon measuring it prior to installing the shaft appeared to be nearly an inch shorter than the stock shaft. I know the tour shaft for this driver comes in at a half inch shorter and this was nearly another half inch shorter than that. However upon testing the swing weight in fact for this shift was as high as D5 or D6 even though the shaft is playing at 44 and three quarter inches. So I went ahead and did it. And I tried it in the simulator after compared to the stock shaft and the tour shaft they also had. Initially it was a bit off-putting to have the shaft so short in a regularly big-headed Club however I got used to it rather quickly.

If you're still reading this and I haven't told you yet now for the interesting part. On the launch monitor I saw no loss of distance compared to the tour Shaft or the stock shaft in fact my fastest swing of the day with those Three shafts and testing also the TaylorMade M2 driver was 1 mile an hour faster than with any of the other clubs. As for spin it was somewhere in between the Stock Tour shaft and the standard shaft that comes with the club. Dispersion seem to be more consistent as well. So I think for people who like this club and want a shorter shaft and might be worried about swing weight, a heavier shaft like the speed or 757 which way's probably 15 to 20 grams heavier than the standard stock shaft might keep the swing wake up without having to start changing any weights in the head. And at no loss of distance and better dispersion.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Back