Live Update Thread & Contest - UST March Shaft Spectacular

Just got caught up, THP and UST showed out this weekend. Awesome job!

Tomcatxiv- why do they need to store the shafts in freeze prior to use?

The fiber is partially cured during manufacturing in order to hold the it together, but still leave it flexible enough for handling. The freezer prevents it from completing the curing process. Once they have it installed on the shaft, the ovens will finish the job.

The fiber is partially cured during manufacturing in order to hold the it together, but still leave it flexible enough for handling. The freezer prevents it from completing the curing process. Once they have it installed on the shaft, the ovens will finish the job.

Great information!!!

Just had some time to go through the on course goodness from yesterday. UST absolutely killed it with the video coverage from the course. Very obvious that everyone has an absolutely fantastic time!

I didn't know anything about Kevin's game but my goodness, he is destroying it off the tee.

Great playing out there in challenging conditions that are ideal when you think "links" golf.

I'm so pumped for the April event, the live threads have been home runs and I hope to keep that going.

Thanks UST for another incredible event, just keeps getting better!!!

EvinKc05: For you what was the most interesting thing that you saw in the shaft making process?

The components of the shaft are not uniform throughout... there are extra layers in different sections depending on the specs to reinforce the stiffness in those specific areas...

EvinKc5: how did getting the right shaft affect the performance of the Miura wedge?

Somewhat difficult to answer since I have never hit a Miura with anything but a recoil shaft, but what I can say is that hitting with these wedges is incredibly soft... So soft in fact that I can only fairly attribute this change to the shafts as there is no way that the head made THAT much difference... the combination is simply sublime though...

Evinck05: Now that you have had this experience, what will you share with your playing partners?

To be fair, I was already a fan of UST before this event, as I really liked their Proforce line. That being said, I have not stopped raving about their products to anyone that will listen. This is easy because their shafts are good enough to warrant it, but I also want to because I know how terrific the people at UST Mamiya are!!!

evinkc05 - How do the Miura wedges compare to your current wedges?

These wedges are clean... The 51 & 55 are a more traditional grind whereas the 60 has the K grind. I would say that my experience with them as been positive, as the combination of them heads with the Recoil shafts makes for a very soft and smooth feel at and through impact. The turf interaction with these heads is terrific, as I am usually a digger with my wedges and the bounce on these clubs seems to work very effectively!

EvinKc5: Now that you've been through the process, what would you tell people about the value of getting a professional fitting when buying clubs?

Getting fit is game changing! Not only do you game the right equipment for you, but you also gain the confidence of knowing that it is the right equipment for your game. The best part about it is that you are able to see your numbers like head speed, ball speed, smash factor, launch angle, attack angle, carry distance, total distance, etc. I like being able to see how efficient I can get my smash factor number, but I never thought about attack angle as a crucial input before, but obviously it is and I see that now thanks to Danny. I want to work on a more positive or upward path to the ball with my driver. I wouldn't know that without getting fit...

Evinkc05 - Did the results of this fitting vary from previous fittings you have had (if you've had them)?

The only equipment that I had been fit for before this is my irons. I would say that this fitting was focused more on one shaft and the right setup there whereas my other fitting was shaft agnostic. That being said... *credit where it is due* I was fit into the shaft I hit best before, KBS C-Taper X +1/2", and the Recoil 125 X (without the +1/2") was only one yard shorter on average with a MUCH tighter dispersion!!! I can only imagine that if the Recoils were +1/2" too, they'd be longer and more precise lol :clapp:

Evinkc, what is the most important to you in the new driver, improving your distance or accuracy?

Accuracy would help my game as I am far too wild off the tee, but that is more my swing than equip. That being said, I definitely knew it would hurt my ego if I had to give up much distance to gain the accuracy I sought. Thankfully that was not they case!!!

evinkc05: What was the most surprising thing you learned through this experience?

I was absolutely shocked by the Recoils!!! I had heard how great they were, but still assumed that was for the lower ss population, but I can say that they are legit! Exponentially better than steel on the body with no sacrifice in performance. (dispersion actually improved)

evinkc05: What were your expectations regarding how much distance and/or consistency you could gain with a shaft fit for you with UST?

I can tell you that going into this weekend, I had wondered if I was in the right driver shaft, S, after getting fit into x flex irons... What I found is that after getting fit into the Elements Helium X, I eliminated half of my misses, snap hook, and gained about 10-15yds. My mishits are still going past my other driver when I would hit it perfect. I can say that I felt like I found the sweetspot more often with my 910 D2, but I am still getting acquainted with my XR16 so I'm sure it will only get better... :joy:

My questions:
evink: Based on your bag, it looks like you favor heavier shafts. Do you anticipate your fitting putting you in similar weights, or are you open to lighter shaft tech?

Good question, I was open to lighter tech and was fit into the Helium a 59g shaft. Danny and I both expected that I would prefer the Platinum, but the Helium is one killer shaft!

evinkc05: What area were you the most surprised to see improvement in after the fitting? (Distance, dispersion, etc)

I was actually MOST SURPRISED to see improvement in my irons dispersion. I was always under the impression that graphite gave you distance but you had to sacrifice some control... Not the case with the Recoils!!! Must hit shafts!

keep the answers coming, its a great read!

evinkc05: how do those Miura wedges feel? what wedges are currently in your bag?

The combination of Recoil wedge proto and Miura wedge feels like butter through the ball. Can't put it to words.

Evinkc05 - what was a myth that got debunked for you about shafts after going through the experience?

I was thoroughly schooled on how accurate the recoils were. I always thought that graphite would always lag in that department behind steel while it killed it in distance... #mythbusted

So, in addition to Krispy Kreme, BBQ for lunch, 2 hats and a shirt, I received a professional fitting, Callaway Big Bertha hybrids, irons, and a Miura wedge all on Recoil 660F3 shafts. A Callaway XR16 driver on a Helium HE5F3.

Dinner tonight, then an early tee time in the morning at The Tribute.

The only difference for me was that instead of the iron/hybrid set, I got 3 wedges 51/55/60. All around great weekend!!!

Good question, I was open to lighter tech and was fit into the Helium a 59g shaft. Danny and I both expected that I would prefer the Platinum, but the Helium is one killer shaft!
Great answer bud! Gotta love just opening it up to results.
The combination of Recoil wedge proto and Miura wedge feels like butter through the ball. Can't put it to words.
This is honestly probably where I am most jelly haha. Just sounds like an unbelievable combination.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Questions:
Evinkc - Were you surprised by anything in the fitting process?

Danny and I were both surprised that the Helium worked so well for me. He expected the Platinum to work best for me, and after finding out the characteristics of the Platinum, I would have too... I couldn't be happier with the Helium though as it is extremely stable in such a light package and I feel confident knowing that I can swing as hard as my body will let me and I can't outswing the shaft! Really great feeling...

Evinkc05 - What is the biggest improvement to your game that you hope to achieve through the shaft fitting?

The biggest need in my game is consistency... I feel like I have the ability to hit most shots once, I'd like to be able to hit them on demand without having to worry about the random shanks and bladed wedge shots that can take me out of a hole so quickly...

Are the wedge shafts the same flex and weight (g) as your irons?

They are 128g so a little heavier. Ill try to get back to you on the flex. I thought they were "wedge flex," but ill double check.

Evinkc05- I've played with you and you get off the tee pretty good. What impressed you the most when comparing your new set up to your old one?

I would have to say that its a combination of performance on mishits. The ball still goes and goes and goes... :act-up:

Back