Gary Player Signs with PXG and OnCore

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
He will have a bag full of PXG at Augusta National this week. He will also play the OnCore Elixr on the opening drive. He has joined OnCore Golf as an investor.

I’m really not sure what to think of this move. I think I will just chalk it up to good for Gary!

Interesting combo to say the least.

But, I’m not a big GP fan so it doesn’t do anything for me.

Interesting signing indeed

The PXG signing kinda makes sense for me, the oncore is just whatever.

It sort of makes sense with the whole "Black Knight" thing.

Not a huge Gary Player fan.. Does he move the needle at all?? Does anyone decide to play clubs /balls because he's playing them?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Not a huge Gary Player fan.. Does he move the needle at all?? Does anyone decide to play clubs /balls because he's playing them?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
He's the most successful international golfer in history, and remains an enormous ambassador of the game. He travels for seminars and other engagements something like 200 days a year. A lot of people, especially outside the US, will see him using PXG.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Admin
He's the most successful international golfer in history, and remains an enormous ambassador of the game. He travels for seminars and other engagements something like 200 days a year. A lot of people, especially outside the US, will see him using PXG.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Will they?
Logos are not really seen with Gary Player. (he uses his own). He does not play very often.
The biggest use will be in commercials, which PXG does a lot of, so it will be interesting to see how much he is used their moving forward.

This announcement falls squarely in the "neat" category. I hope all the parties involved have a good and fruitful relationship. I will not be buying PXG clubs or On-cor golf balls anytime soon.

Hopefully it's a successful pairing for everyone involved. It doesn't really do much for me, personally. It'll be interesting to see how they market it.

For some reason Gary Player and PXG seems like a natural fit but the Oncore thing I never would have imagined. Good for him, I'm just not sure how he benefits either of the brands at this point.

Gary Player Signs with PXG and OnCore

I take this as Callaway finally figured out no one cares about Gary and his crunches.

An interesting move, I would say a tough loss for Callaway but feels like a great addition for both PXG and Oncore

I guess its kind of interesting,but it just doesn't do anything for me. I don't care who is on their staff as I'm not interested in either product.

I didn't realize Player was so unpopular. I like the PXG move. I don't think it will sell clubs, but then again I don't think any club signing sells clubs.

You know what? Good for OnCore. They went from a small company that was known for having a metal core, to signing one of the legends of the game. Will it move the needle, nope, but I think it's wicked cool for them.

Totally irrelevant to me. Useless signing , in my opinion!!

This maybe gives OnCore a few more eyeballs. I am not a Gary Player fan, but seems like a good fit with Parsons since they both are huge fans of themselves.

I guess its kind of interesting,but it just doesn't do anything for me. I don't care who is on their staff as I'm not interested in either product.

I am kind of with you. Their product is so far out of my price range, and I have no interest in it so this is a whatever announcement to me.

Will they?
Logos are not really seen with Gary Player. (he uses his own). He does not play very often.
The biggest use will be in commercials, which PXG does a lot of, so it will be interesting to see how much he is used their moving forward.

I assume a certain level of golf aficionado that would attend a Gary Player lesson or seminar would be interested in what clubs he uses. Also, while not the only logo on his bag, Callaway featured fairly prominently on his bag and hat for press and other photos.

Gary-Player-Callaway-Renewal.jpg

If PXG ended up on the side of the bag of a 9-time major winner who continues to spread the gospel of golf, I'd consider that a win.

I assume a certain level of golf aficionado that would attend a Gary Player lesson or seminar would be interested in what clubs he uses. Also, while not the only logo on his bag, Callaway featured fairly prominently on his bag and hat for press and other photos.

Gary-Player-Callaway-Renewal.jpg

If PXG ended up on the side of the bag of a 9-time major winner who continues to spread the gospel of golf, I'd consider that a win.

I think on the logos are crucial. Recently he has been seen with just his logo there. If/when that changes I tend to agree.

To me his success can be applied to when he is used in commercials. Outside of that I’m not sure I see it. I felt the same with his last sponsorship. Seeing the logo and hearing from the player still matters.

I guess the PXG makes sense, but they are out of my price range, so it doesn't matter to me. OnCore should get some good press off of this, so that should help business at least in the short term.

The timing is interesting. The first tee shot he hits at Augusta this week will be shown countless times to a huge viewing audience. That alone makes it a solid signing for pxg.

The oncore signing is cool too. Solid ball imho.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I honestly didn't even know GP had a Callaway deal until now and I am a huge Callaway fan. I don't see this signing moving the needle for either PXG or Oncore.

Back