PGA Tour Superstore Launch Monitors?

mikey310

Reaction score
Handicap
I was at the pga superstore in Schaumburg over the weekend trying new clubs. According to the taylormade booth I was hitting the RSI 1 7iron 185 yard carry with a total distance of 193. With my old irons (Taylormade tour preffered CB) I was about 165 carry with a 170 total. I thanked the people there for making me feel good but told them their machine was way off. They assured me that the machines are accurate and if anything are a little short. My question is has anyone else had this similiar experience with a launch monitor? I would like to think that I am that good but sadly I know better.

Easiest way to know for sure? Bring your own iron in there and compare.
Total distance is interesting. I mean who wants their 7 iron to roll out 25 feet?

It could be that a customer jacked with the software settings. I've seen it happen at Golfsmith. I picked up a GBB driver and was crushing it dead center every time 300+ yards with 20 to 30 yards of roll out. The flight pattern didn't look right and sure enough when I dug into things, someone turned off the side spin on the simulator software. The only reason I knew to look for it is that I have the same Launch Monitor used at Golfsmith (GC2). The sales person in charge of the bays told me it happens all the time since the software is not locked down there. They try to monitor it but it's not always possible.

Total distance is interesting. I mean who wants their 7 iron to roll out 25 feet?

JB nailed it. Bring your own clubs when testing at the big box stores. You know how far you hit your clubs and can compare that way. I know using the AboutGolf simulator that the settings can be messed with and often times a lot of people need different settings to find their correct yardages. We've found that their "general" or "stock" setting is a bit juiced up for everyone. We compared it to trackman and my settings needed to be different than Maddog's. But JB's short answer was the correct one.

Anyone who plays golf on the painted green concrete that these monitors reflect would for sure.

To answer the OP, constantly.... And I think it is absolutely terrible and should not be allowed.

I think it borders on fraud but the "let the buyer beware" mentally will always be there, as sad a comment as it is!

It probably works on the beginners who don't know their distances. If I could hit the 7 iron 190 I wouldn't be getting ready for my golf league I would be getting ready for the pga tour. I was just wondering how common this is.

I had a fitting at Roger Dunn a few months ago with similar readings. I thought the numbers were bogus too til I hit the course with the clubs. I think it's mostly due to the manufacturers making their new offering with stronger lofts. Ball flight seems a little lower than my old clubs, but I hit the snot out of em.

But we all know that the numbers can be skewed with the click of a mouse anywhere. That's a given. I know a performance shop that used to do the same thing with dyno numbers on their customer's cars. They'd add a correction factor for high elevation and all the sudden a 500hp car was making 620 magically. lol

Last edited:
I was in the local Golf Mart about 30 minutes before they closed one night hitting a driver and BS'ing with one of the guys in there. He straight up showed me the setting that can be adjusted to pump up the numbers. We set it at 5% just to mess around, and just like that I'm carrying 300 yards with 25 yards of roll. That said, I take simulator numbers with a grain of salt. They're useful to get a feel for the club but once I knew the numbers could be inflated I stopped trusting them.

My launch angle with the 7 iron were 20+ degrees. that only makes things worse because I was hitting it insanely high and that far. I hit a very high ball so that part I agree with. I bought the rsi 1's so when I get them on the golf course I will see how real those numbers are. Everything I read the rsi 1's gain about 8 yards from my current set. So I was expecting 173 ish but not 190

My launch angle with the 7 iron were 20+ degrees. that only makes things worse because I was hitting it insanely high and that far. I hit a very high ball so that part I agree with. I bought the rsi 1's so when I get them on the golf course I will see how real those numbers are. Everything I read the rsi 1's gain about 8 yards from my current set. So I was expecting 173 ish but not 190

Yeah you just have to take em to the range and judge for yourself. Let us know how it turns out!

Back