Tour Edge Exotics EXS Driver: Range Days

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Range Days debuted earlier this year and if you missed the first four episodes, you can find them in our THP TV section or on YouTube under @THPGolf. Episode 5 is upon us and we take a deep dive into the new Exotics EXS driver from Tour Edge. We tested it thoroughly and are bringing you all of the data and a whole lot more.

However Range Days is not just about showing the data and the swings. In this episode JB and Dan break down each strike and explain why the performance you are seeing is taking place and what to expect out of the equipment you are testing. How does this new EXS fare and how does it compare to others in the market? Watch here to find out.

Fun watch and valuable information guys, thank you.

To answer the questions posed to the community. I do not think this is an inferior driver at all. Tour Edge has such a great reputation for making great quality clubs and I think they have a very good price point for this club. To be honest, this year's driver prices topped my fiscal limits so this driver is very appealing for not just the price but also for the tech, the looks, and the sound. I think it's well worth the money and I would like to hit it this year and run it up against my G400.

I like the sound of the driver. And it looks just as good as anything out there. For $299, there looks to be a ton of tech in it.

Another great episode!

I answered the question in the YouTube comments but will answer it here also. Pre-THP, I would have assumed it was inferior based on the combination of cost in relation to other new driver and because it was not from one of the "big" OEMs. With the power of knowledge obtained through THP, I knew even before I went to try it that it was not an inferior product despite the consumer friendly price.

Another great episode!

I answered the question in the YouTube comments but will answer it here also. Pre-THP, I would have assumed it was inferior based on the combination of cost in relation to other new driver and because it was not from one of the "big" OEMs. With the power of knowledge obtained through THP, I knew even before I went to try it that it was not an inferior product despite the consumer friendly price.

This is great to hear from someone that is actually gaming it. I demo'd in store and the numbers were quite consistant.

Sorry, I'm responding as I watch the video. As far as the Pricepoint vs other OEM's, I've seen people go through a driver fitting where something they consider not premium wins out, and they still buy their preferred brand. It's hard to change people's perception or brand loyalties.

This is great to hear from someone that is actually gaming it. I demo'd in store and the numbers were quite consistant.
I was actually really surprised the difference the shafts made when I did the fitting. Never had been through that before and the difference were astounding.

Seems like the price to performance is amazing as it has the tech and distance to keep up with drivers costing twice what the Exotics does. Perception of online and knowledgeable golfers know that Tour Edge makes a very good product, but for your average golfer or someone obsessed with names they will struggle

I was actually really surprised the difference the shafts made when I did the fitting. Never had been through that before and the difference were astounding.

You definitely got a great shaft! The guys at TXG almost always put that in the rotation when fitting people for drivers. What is your set up for weights and hosel placement?

You definitely got a great shaft! The guys at TXG almost always put that in the rotation when fitting people for drivers. What is your set up for weights and hosel placement?
That shaft was not part of the fitting. It was not even out at that time. The Tensei Red was the best fit from the shafts available at the fitting and it allowed me to get a baseline of what I need to see performance-wise with other shafts I tried after the fact. I play it at stock 9.5 with 9 gram weight in the back and 3 gram in the heel. Also have a 1 inch piece of high density lead tape on the toe end to hit the swing weight I wanted. Play it at 45".

Flagged to watch later tonight!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Glad you guys are enjoying!

The more I digested the data, the more impressed I was with the accuracy of the head. I was around the face a bit more than I'd like and I loved that the down range data was so close together.

Ball speed numbers definitely surprised me, a good deal lower than I expected with what I saw and what we have seen in previous episodes.

This has been number 1 on my list for a while. I hit it and was very impressed! As a person on a budget, it really is a no brainer!

Ball speed numbers definitely surprised me, a good deal lower than I expected with what I saw and what we have seen in previous episodes.

I think we mentioned early on that this was one of the first drivers we hit. I think that is why we speak on efficiency as much as we do, so people get to see the two speeds together. I don't think it is the fastest head in 2019, but I do think with the same club head speed, it would get closer. It was one of the most efficient we tested when missing low/high.

Question for you guys with much more knowledge than myself. At my fitting yesterday my fitter didn’t want to change anything with my driver because I hit it well. Here are the numbers. SS - 98.9, launch angle - 9.5, spin - 3277, ball speed - 140, carry - 210

Is that maxed out or is there room for improvement?

Question for you guys with much more knowledge than myself. At my fitting yesterday my fitter didn’t want to change anything with my driver because I hit it well. Here are the numbers. SS - 98.9, launch angle - 9.5, spin - 3277, ball speed - 140, carry - 210

much room for improvement - higher launch, lower spin, carry should be in the 220-230 range for that ballspeed

There is room for improvement. Its certainly not bad at all though.
With that said, much of that could have to do with impact location and strikes overall. If you were hitting a similar spot repeatedly, I wouldnt go crazy. 1.41 efficiency is pretty good. Guessing by the numbers one of two things is in place.

Either you are pretty steep, meaning negative angle of attack which causes lower launch and higher spin.
Or you are missing low on the face a bit, which brings in more speed, but causes lower launch and higher spin.

We go over quite a bit of this in this episode.

much room for improvement - higher launch, lower spin, carry should be in the 230 range for that ballspeed

I kind of suspected that. We did driver at the end and I think he was getting tired of my wonky ass swing. I have a negative AoA that I’m trying to change. He said my spin should come down about 1,000 on the course because of the balls I use. That would explain why I usually see 225-240 carry on the course. I’m pretty happy with the fitting, just trying to make sense of all the numbers.

I kind of suspected that. We did driver at the end and I think he was getting tired of my wonky ass swing. I have a negative AoA that I’m trying to change. He said my spin should come down about 1,000 on the course because of the balls I use. That would explain why I usually see 225-240 carry on the course. I’m pretty happy with the fitting, just trying to make sense of all the numbers.

What kind of balls did you use in your fitting and what kind do you play?

There is room for improvement. Its certainly not bad at all though.
With that said, much of that could have to do with impact location and strikes overall. If you were hitting a similar spot repeatedly, I wouldnt go crazy. 1.41 efficiency is pretty good. Guessing by the numbers one of two things is in place.

Either you are pretty steep, meaning negative angle of attack which causes lower launch and higher spin.
Or you are missing low on the face a bit, which brings in more speed, but causes lower launch and higher spin.

We go over quite a bit of this in this episode.

I haven’t had a chance to watch the video. I plan on it this evening. I am extremely steep and I usually hit a little high on the face. With the loft set at 12* I was getting 16* launch with -5.5* AoA.

What kind of balls did you use in your fitting and what kind do you play?

New Wilson range balls. That was something I wasn’t thrilled with but didn’t know until I got there. I figured he knew what he was doing so I didn’t give it much thought until later.

I play Chrome Softs, Snell Black, & Kirkland 3 piece.

Very informative video.

I will agree with a comment that was posted on the youtube channel and kinda answers a question mentioned in the video for myself and a group that I play with. I would not look at this driver at all against the big name companies if it was not for the golf forums like THP, this video, and the recommendations made by those speaking on behalf of Tour Edge here at THP.

I mentioned the March Madness contest to some of my playing partners and said about the driver listed for the final four winners. They thought the contest was great by THP but had very little interest in trying or even using a Tour Edge driver. That said, the price point does offer advantages for those looking for a premium driver in affordable pricing.

The stats don't lie on the video. The Tour Edge driver has a ton of technology built in it to compare to the big name companies for a fraction of the cost. Definitely, something people, like myself, should consider when going to a demo day or looking at purchasing a new driver.

New Wilson range balls. That was something I wasn’t thrilled with but didn’t know until I got there. I figured he knew what he was doing so I didn’t give it much thought until later.

I play Chrome Softs, Snell Black, & Kirkland 3 piece.

Thats interesting that the fitter thought you would lose a full 1000 rpms of spin off of those. You will gain some efficiency through speed, especially with the CS, as dual cores can assist there.

Thats interesting that the fitter thought you would lose a full 1000 rpms of spin off of those. You will gain some efficiency through speed, especially with the CS, as dual cores can assist there.

Thanks for the replies. Just trying to make sense of all the numbers. It’s all completely foreign to me.

Back