2016 Masters Thread & Contest - Amazing Prize

The media is going to chase the easy story. I get they have to "report" on the story, but there is a right and wrong way to present it. A little creativity could have taken this story to greater depths

This is going to be an unpopular opinion, but a choke is a choke. As a Cubs and a Cowboys fan I have lots of experience in identifying these unsavory occurences. 6 over on 3 holes on the back nine of Augusta on Sunday is the equivalent of a Bartman foul ball followed by an Alex Gonzalez booted routine grounder to short.... or a Romo botched snap on the go ahead FG... Spieth is a hard guy to root against, and I'm sure he'll bounce back, but let's call it what it is... if Poulter or bubba did this there would be no question.

I will say the media is the reason I stopped watching golf lately. All week it was like it was the Speith, Rory, Jason Day show. Golf channel all but gave the jacket to only one of these 3. I hate that. I hate the need to have a big rivalry or match up. I just want to see good golf. How many times did they say today it was a just matter of time, speith is going back to back. Then it's he needs this to have a chance. One hole later it's greatest comeback. What a freaking joke. It's golf and everyone who tees it up has an equal chance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll grant you the obnoxious but I disagree completely that it's unfair. He had what, a 5 shots lead heading to number 10. Bogey, bogey, quadruple on a par 3 with two in the water is the absolute definition of meltdown / choke. This was up there with the all time golf chokes, very Jean Van De Velda-esque.

haha, not a chance. Things that 'melt' by definition reduce from form. He continued on. Had he made that putt on 11 (which I think ignoring the approach is so beyond short sighted), you wouldn't have a leg to stand on. 12 does a great job of humbling golfers. TWO shots does not a collapse/meltdown/choke make.

They are telling the story in front of them, just like when they praised him endlessly (rightfully so) when he was playing so magnificently last year. IMHO it is easy / in the moment journalism.

The story in front of them is a flawless round by the champion, Danny Willett.

A collapse suggests everything topples. Had he 'collapsed' he wouldn't have damn near holed out from 120 on 11.... And then birdied a couple more times before the round finished.

I agree he faltered... There's no question about it.. I just don't think it's the story of this Masters. There's a reason why the streak he beat was only bested by Palmer. It's damn near impossible/improbable.

What he did afterwards doesn't mean he didn't have a meltdown or collapse. It is possible to have a meltdown in any part of the round. His came in the middle of the round. What he did afterwards showed that he has the heart of champion and incredible mental fortitude but doesn't change the fact he collapsed.

I agree that it isn't the only story of the Masters. That takes away from what Danny Willett did. I would argue however it is the biggest story. If Jordan doesn't falter/collapse/meltdown he wins the Masters.

haha, not a chance. Things that 'melt' by definition reduce from form. He continued on. Had he made that putt on 11 (which I think ignoring the approach is so beyond short sighted), you wouldn't have a leg to stand on. 12 does a great job of humbling golfers. TWO shots does not a collapse/meltdown/choke make.

+6 on the first 3 holes of the back nine is more than 2 shots followed by uncharacteristic putts missed on 16 and 17, I don't expect perfection, but he gave quite a few away once the pressure was on.

What he did afterwards doesn't mean he didn't have a meltdown or collapse. It is possible to have a meltdown in any part of the round. His came in the middle of the round. What he did afterwards showed that he has the heart of champion and incredible mental fortitude but doesn't change the fact he collapsed.

I agree that it isn't the only story of the Masters. That takes away from what Danny Willett did. I would argue however it is the biggest story. If Jordan doesn't falter/collapse/meltdown he wins the Masters.

So let's say, for the sake of argument, he doesn't fat the second shot on 12 and still puts his drop into the sand, ending up with a 5. He still loses by one.

is that a collapse/meltdown/falter?

+6 on the first 3 holes of the back nine is more than 2 shots followed by uncharacteristic putts missed on 16 and 17, I don't expect perfection, but he gave quite a few away once the pressure was on.

Ehhh.. he gave more back to the field in round 2 than he did in round 4. I didn't hear that get called a choke/collapse/falter/meltdown.

So let's say, for the sake of argument, he doesn't fat the second shot on 12 and still puts his drop into the sand, ending up with a 5. He still loses by one.

I think the story might be a bit different if he "only" shot 5 on that hole, but the fact is, he still opened the door to the guys behind him when he had control over the tournament's outcome, so yes, it is still a choke/collapse/meltdown.

IMO yes - doesn't make it right just my opinion. I think it was meltdown when you couple it all together 10,11, and 12. If it was just one hole then I probably wouldn't think it was a meltdown but he had 3 bad holes in a row. To me that qualifies as a meltdown.

Ehhh.. he gave more back to the field in round 2 than he did in round 4. I didn't hear that get called a choke/collapse/falter/meltdown.
Round 4 is were it matters most. All on the line. I'll go with collapse as that's exactly what he called it. But to his credit he stayed the course the best he could, almost rallying back.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I don't know sir... timing is everything, and it is hard to swallow going from up 4 to down 2 over the course of 3 holes where you give 6 back to the field. He a great guy, and the epitome of class act, but this seems pretty cut and dry to me... similar to rory a few years back IMO

haha you guys are tough. I'm not really trying to argue it, because I genuinely enjoyed this Masters the way I saw it and I'm happy you did as well.

I imagine you'll really enjoy the GC narrative for the next couple days.

I'm curious if the roles were reversed and Bubba did the same thing, if people would be defending him. One would think by reading this thread that if you're considered to have class you can't blow a big lead in three holes on the final day of a major and be called out for it. However, I wouldn't say crying about being put on the clock when your one of the slowest guys on the course is particularly classy and mature.

On on a side note, I wouldn't have blamed him if he slapped the guy upside the head in his post round interview who asked if when he looks back on this week he'll be happy that he was in contention again this week. What a colossally dumb question.

Can you imagine if Poulter, Sergio or DJ had that lead at the turn & did what Jordan did today on holes 10-12 & lost the tourney? saying Choke, meltdown, etc. would not even be questioned

You give any great player, or hell even a member of the Zoo Crew, a 5 shot lead standing on the 10th tee. They'll probably all admit if they can't win under those conditions it's some kind of let down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't "enjoy" that he choked in any way. I'll admit I wanted him to drop a few shots and have westy or Willett step up to make it entertaining, but once he plunked the second one in the water I felt sick to my stomach and hoped he'd come back to win it. Chokes are hard to watch unless it happens to a villain... but there is no need to sugar coat it, rip the bandaid off quickly. I'm sure he will have plenty of bulletin board material, and I doubt that he's done with deep Sunday runs at Augusta

haha you guys are tough. I'm not really trying to argue it, because I genuinely enjoyed this Masters the way I saw it and I'm happy you did as well.

I imagine you'll really enjoy the GC narrative for the next couple days.
Was one for the ages!! And I won't enjoy them beating it to death for the next week. But for them it's all about ratings, and as with all mainstream media the negative seems to drive the numbers more. So it will be wall to wall for a while. I do agree that Danny Willett will not get the proper amount of coverage for the flawless round that won the Masters. Heck his brother is being crowned Twitter Champion today.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Agree to disagree, buddy. If he'd continued on successfully the story would have been all the more grand - epic collapse followed by historic resolve and comeback. The key element there being this, it still would have been a collapse.

The story most definitely is not Willet's round. First, he never did enough to overcome Spieth without Spieth's collapse. Second, an epic flub up by a superstar prodigy to throw away a major is always going to be the story.

Was one for the ages!! And I won't enjoy them beating it to death for the next week. But for them it's all about ratings, and as with all mainstream media the negative seems to drive the numbers more. So it will be wall to wall for a while.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Is anyone really surprised at the media going with the negative "shock value" headline? GC is still the media. Nothing new here. If I feel bad for anyone as far as this media angle is concerned, it's Willet. He played a great round and he should be getting more credit than he's getting.

Last edited:
Agree to disagree, buddy. If he'd continued on successfully the story would have been all the more grand - epic collapse followed by historic resolve and comeback. The key element there being this, it still would have been a collapse.

The story most definitely is not Willet's round. First, he never did enough to overcome Spieth without Spieth's collapse. Second, an epic flub up by a superstar prodigy to throw away a major is always going to be the story.

Agree with all of this. Spieth was the dominant story for the first 3 days, so he was likely going to be the dominant story win or lose today. Then to have such a big lead headed to the back nine and have it all go away in 3 holes was a tremendous collapse.

I also think this is a lot like the 2011 Masters. The story afterwards was more about Rory's collapse on the back nine rather than the winner, Charl Schwartzel.

Agree with all of this. Spieth was the dominant story for the first 3 days, so he was likely going to be the dominant story win or lose today. Then to have such a big lead headed to the back nine and have it all go away in 3 holes was a tremendous collapse.

I also think this is a lot like the 2011 Masters. The story afterwards was more about Rory's collapse on the back nine rather than the winner, Charl Schwartzel.

Someone won that Masters? ��

I think it's still not fully sunk in Spieths mind that he lost.

One thing I noticed that I don't think has been mentioned, but I did read the last 100 pages pretty quickly as I DVRd the coverage as I wasn't home for the start.

When Willet finished the 15th hole it looks like Spieths score from 12 went up on the board judging by all the reactions you saw in the gallery turning around to look at it.

So you have to assume by the time he got to the 16th tee he knew he had a three shot lead. The nerves could have hit him big time there or a huge rush of adrenaline causing a hooked shot into the pond or something.

But he stepped up and nailed it. Clutch shot right there.

It's funny that this debate is going on. Jordan had two bad holes on 17 and 18 yesterday. Es that a choke, nope just two bad holes. He made a bad swing in arguably one of the toughest par 3s on tour and it cost him the Masters. Over the course of 72 holes I'm sure HE would take back quite a few swings and decisions. We can sit here like the media and critique it all day long. But the simple fact is that you could point at anyone of several holes and say that is why he lost. Bad holes happen in golf.

As Dan said he made a run at the end but it was Danny's day and his 67 that won him the Masters.

Back