Swing Line Compensation For Open Face Wedge Shots

Papaw

Reaction score
All of the instructions i've seen say you have to swing left to compensate for opening the face on a wedge. Close to the green I usually open a wedge up about 45* and swing straight to the pin and the ball goes straight to the pin. Where I am off is the distance. Why should you have to compensate and what am I doing different since I don't ?

The face of the club is probably squaring up at impact. An open club swung down the line will move a little right and short. Due to the fact the ball rolls up the face a bit.

I think not. Once you've opened the face, you've added loft to an already lofted club so that's why we have to swing harder.

I think not. Once you've opened the face, you've added loft to an already lofted club so that's why we have to swing harder.

You think not about what?

You think not about what?

I think that's why an opened face club flies shorter, because we've added loft by opening the face, rather than it being shorter because we've added more surface area to the clubface.

It could be I'm closing the face before impact but I also notice that when the club is opened up 45 degrees I'm unconsciously lowering the shaft about 3 inches at the grip to keep the bottom of the face parallel to the ground. Is this bad technique?

Yes it a bad position. If you need to get closer to the ground, just widen your stance. It will move the shoulders lower.

But with wedges all you have to open the face, point it at your target, open the stance and swing along your body line. No reason to lower the hands as the bounce on the club will do its work.
It could be I'm closing the face before impact but I also notice that when the club is opened up 45 degrees I'm unconsciously lowering the shaft about 3 inches at the grip to keep the bottom of the face parallel to the ground. Is this bad technique?

Back