JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
This is a press release

You're walking or riding on the golf course to the steady beat of clink, clink, clink as your golf clubs smack against each other. You probably haven't thought about the damage being done to that $1,500+ investment.

Well, the designers at OGIO Golf have.

The answer is the SilencerTM Club Protection System available in their 2016 cart and stand golf bags.

SilencerTM technology features 14 individual compartments accommodating a variety of club configurations. Each compartment has a protective membrane at the top to center and gently hold the club shaft. The compression fit bottom securely holds the club grip and keeps it from moving or spinning.

"Part of our quality testing included literally turning the bag upside and shaking it," commented Global Vice President, OGIO Golf, Tom Gocke. "It may not be a scientific method, but it proved that the golf clubs will stay locked in position."

The SilencerTM line, available in both stand and cart options in four different colors, includes OGIO-designed features like the insulated water bottle pocket, easy grab trunk handle, pen slot and seven pockets. It is part of the 2016 collection, which also includes - Buzzsaw, Ash, Gotham and Earth.

With the OGIO Golf SilencerTM Club Protection System simply drop, grip and lock your clubs in the bag. You will protect your investment and enjoy the sounds of silence.

2154928.jpg

2154929.jpg

I've the silencer bags in stores, the 2015 models at least, and they've always caught my eye. I like the idea of something holding the clubs in place at the bottom of the bag. I'll have to give these a hard look next time i'm bag shopping.

I have seen this recently and seems like a great way for golfers who don't want club chatter. I usually just use iron covers if I'm worried about club chatter.

Interesting concept and something I haven't really thought of before. It sounds like a really good idea.

One of the concerns I would have is how these would affect shaft labels? I had a 14 way top once that shredded all my KBS labels and would be concerned with that here. But I walk a lot and eliminating chatter is appealing.

Interesting concept. I love the idea of them not banging around. Curious how easy they come out of the bag though. It's hard enough getting clubs out of a 14 way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting concept. I love the idea of them not banging around. Curious how easy they come out of the bag though. It's hard enough getting clubs out of a 14 way.

That's what I would like to know. Also does it do anything to your grips? They can tear from the force. But I like the concept!

That's what I would like to know. Also does it do anything to your grips? They can tear from the force. But I like the concept!

I'm guessing some wear at the tops of the grips where it "locks" in. Interesting someone mentioned the effect on shaft labels. That would also be annoying.

Looks like a great concept. I wonder how, or if it would work with jumbo grips.

I like the idea and would consider it for my next purchase but I kinda like the sound of bag chatter. Lol

I read the title, opened the thread and immediately saw those first 2 pics and was like WHAT?!?! Haha.

I think this sounds like a great idea, it does make sense, people invest thousands on their clubs and they're always clanking around in the bag. I hate that! BUT, this does seem to create a pretty bulky bag and I know that a lot of people won't really love that (me included). I'll keep an eye out for these in stores to have a look in person though for sure.

I always wondered about the grips getting damanged too. Didn't think about shaft labels. I remember asking the rep at Golf Galaxy once if these would hurt the grips and I could tell he hadn't thought of it. It seems like a great concept however.

I've always wanted to try one of these, but I have an orange whip and alignment sticks in my bag, seems like it wouldn't really work with this layout!

I used one of the models a few years back. No issue with shaft bands but did start to see some degradation on butt end of grip (nothing terrible though).

Main complaint was that a few slots got very difficult to get club into the holding mechanism at the bottom.

With that said; it does eliminate bag chatter and works as advertised.

I think I would get tired of clipping everything in after each shot. I've played with folks who have had the cart bag and it certainly works as advertised. My question with the stand bag part is how much weight does it add?

Good concept, no one I know likes the clinking club sound.

I Looked on the website and no data on bag weight. This idea may be great for a cart/pull cart bag, but unless that stand bag is a LOT lighter than it looks I don't see anyone that actually carries paying that much for a heavier bag just because it keeps the clubs from making noise.

Oh and you shaft band guys are hilarious! :laughing:

I played with a guy two days ago that had one of these. It is an interesting concept and the clubs didn't rattle at all. The rubber at the top is fairly soft so for those concerned about their shaft labels I don't think it would be an issue. The clubs lock in in the bottom but it is not difficult pilling them out. I didn't think about any wear that may occur on the grip so I can't help you on that one.

I've always wanted one, too bad I typically have more than 14 clubs

It's a great concept. The clinking of clubs isn't something that every cares for or wants. It's not a big deal for me, personally.

Ive always thought about buying one. Just wondered about the ease of putting the clubs in and taking them out.

Yes Yes and Yes, this is made for me. I want to put a club in a spot and it stays there

I have a silencer bag that I bought a couple weeks ago and so far it is great. Guess I'll throw in a bit of a review here.
I like 14-way dividers, just a thing for me. I have four bags, all 14-way. However, until I bought the Silencer, my grips would catch the lining and slowly wear it away and begin to tear it. My Datrek bag began tearing within a month, but nothing major, the bag still held up.

Let's begin with the pros.
The silencer system has a plate on the bottom that "catches" the clubs and the separators on the top of the bag prevent the clubs from moving around. The dividers do not extend all way way down which can bring up an issue that I will explain in a bit. The top portion is a thin, flexible silicone based rubber so your grips, shafts, and shaft labels will not get dirty or wear away. The bottom portion can hold standard oversized grips. I say standard oversized because JumboMax grips and putter grips will not fit. For those that use Game Golf or Accors or have any other type of device on the end of their grip, need not to worry. I have Game Golf tags and the clubs still fit in great without any damage to the tags. There is a putter well that fits all grip sizes with plenty of room. I use a SS Fatso 5.0 and the club fits in easily, and when I am using the putter, I stuff the putter cover inside to keep it safe. The well does not have a locking device so your putter sits freely.
The straps are a bit rough, but this is perhaps because my bag is not worn in yet. They are also padded a great deal to minimize shoulder fatigue and discomfort when walking longer distances. The back pad has a channel through it to allow airflow so you don't sweat as much. There is a large side pocket which can hold shoes or a light coat as well as a side pocket for smaller items. The valuables pocket is lined and has smaller pockets inside for a cell phone and wallet. On the other side there is a medium pocket that has a rain cover stored away, and a lined cold drinks pouch which is easily accessible when walking. On the front there is a pocket for golf balls and a small pocket for whatever else you need.

Cons:
The bag is a bit heavier because of the locking system, but not too bad. I usually play 6400-6600 courses and have not really noticed the weight too much. The locking mechanism does present a couple issues. While putting clubs away, shafts can cross over other shafts and lock in at a weird angle so when you pull out a different club, it could get stopped by a crossing shaft. Imaging Pick-up Stix, but with golf clubs. The other issue is sometimes you will not get that perfect angle and will have to move the club around to find a spot to lock in. I have heard issues with the leg device being fragile and some cart issues, but I have not seen that yet. I will find out about this weekend when I ride with a friend.

Overall the bag seems sturdy and well built. I have only had the bag for a couple of rounds so I cannot comment on the long term durability.

This was one of the bags I considered while looking for a new cart bag. Concept is nice, but I saw one at a golf store and wondered if the system will catch on. As far as club chatter, I like the sound. But if you are concerned about the chatter, then get those golf club clips for your current bag.

14-font-b-Golf-b-font-Bag-Putter-Clip-On-Clamp-font-b-Holder-b-font.jpg

I've got the cart model, and it is awesome! I used to cover EVERY club because of how much I hate chatter, but now it's just the putter. It hasn't torn up my shaft labels, and isn't too difficult to get clubs out. The only real downside is the added weight, which is quite significant.

Back