Which course to play on the Big Island

zooropa

Reaction score
Handicap
Will be in Hawaii in under 2 weeks. I think I have narrowed it down to Mauna Kea but happy to be talked out of it if there is a better option.

Makani Golf Club - formerly Big Island Country Club. has the TPC Sawgrass 17th hole and amazing views! - Do post some pic's!

Last edited:
If it’s only one course then IMO it should be Mauna Kea. The south course at Mauna Lani is another great one if you have time for a second round.

I’ve played Makani. It’s nice and much cheaper than the courses in Waikoloa however the courses in the Waikoloa area are on a different level. Any of those are great. If you go with the Waikoloa Beach golf club, play the Ocean course.

I’ve played Makani. It’s nice and much cheaper than the courses in Waikoloa however the courses in the Waikoloa area are on a different level. Any of those are great. If you go with the Waikoloa Beach golf club, play the Ocean course.

Thanks for that. We are staying at the Hilton, was thinking about a twilight round there. Did you mean the Beach Course?

Thanks for that. We are staying at the Hilton, was thinking about a twilight round there. Did you mean the Beach Course?

Yes. Sorry the Beach. Kings is nice also but Ocean is nicer.

Yes. Sorry the Beach. Kings is nice also but Ocean is nicer.

Thanks for that. So many options in Hawaii, want to make the most of my golf allowance for the trip.

Thanks for that. So many options in Hawaii, want to make the most of my golf allowance for the trip.

Enjoy the Hilton. It’s amazing.

Enjoy the Hilton. It’s amazing.

I'll second that. We've done four vacations at that Hilton with our kids and another few just as a couple. The Kamuela Provision Company at the hotel is the best restaurant on the Big Island and maybe the best setting of any restaurant in the U.S.

Make sure to check out Hapuna beach which is just 7 miles from the hotel. It's a public beach but one of the prettiest I've ever seen. They also serve some great smoothies at the little shack.

If it’s only one course then IMO it should be Mauna Kea. The south course at Mauna Lani is another great one if you have time for a second round.

I second this!! Amazing views and a lot of fun!!

I'll second that. We've done four vacations at that Hilton with our kids and another few just as a couple. The Kamuela Provision Company at the hotel is the best restaurant on the Big Island and maybe the best setting of any restaurant in the U.S.

Make sure to check out Hapuna beach which is just 7 miles from the hotel. It's a public beach but one of the prettiest I've ever seen. They also serve some great smoothies at the little shack.

Hapuna is by far the best beach on the Big Island. For golf Mauna Kea and Beach course if you are only getting in one or two rounds.

I've played both of these and a lot of the others on the Big Island and I agree with TahoeBum. If it's only one round, Mauna Kea would be my pick.
Have fun !

Thank you for your input. Best beach and restaurant is really good to know.

Back