DeChambeau on the range at The Masters with dual launch monitors

-CRW-

Reaction score
I didn't get a screen shot and I can't find any images/video yet online, but I found it interesting that Bryson was using both a GCQuad and Flightscope on range at The Masters this morning. The commentators indicated he wanted quick ball numbers from the GCQuad, but had the Flightscope for club data.

This just re-emphasizes Foresight's failure with the sticker/dot system. If they can get past that with their tech they might actually have a shot at taking over the #1 launch monitor spot (on tour) with it's convenience of being in front of the golfer. Though, I'm curious as to why Bryson doesn't just place a phone/tablet in front of him where the GCQuad is and sync it to a Trackman unit (or his current Flightscope) like the majority of tour pros currently do. Regardless, it must be nice to have two launch monitors.

In other news, his alignment stick with club brush was interesting (if not funny). And he supposedly switched all of his iron shafts this week from X7's to Tour Issue S400. That's a pretty dramatic change in feel, but if true it sure seems to be working so far.

I have not gotten into the launch monitors, but now that you mentioned it I do think Bryson did change up equipment. I remember some commentary about changing out the 120g jumbo grips he had been using.

I also saw that club brush on the end of his alignment stick. I thought briefly if it would work for me... nope, I'll pass on the idea for now.

I didn't get a screen shot and I can't find any images/video yet online, but I found it interesting that Bryson was using both a GCQuad and Flightscope on range at The Masters this morning. The commentators indicated he wanted quick ball numbers from the GCQuad, but had the Flightscope for club data.

This just re-emphasizes Foresight's failure with the sticker/dot system. If they can get past that with their tech they might actually have a shot at taking over the #1 launch monitor spot (on tour) with it's convenience of being in front of the golfer. Though, I'm curious as to why Bryson doesn't just place a phone/tablet in front of him where the GCQuad is and sync it to a Trackman unit (or his current Flightscope) like the majority of tour pros currently do. Regardless, it must be nice to have two launch monitors.

In other news, his alignment stick with club brush was interesting (if not funny). And he supposedly switched all of his iron shafts this week from X7's to Tour Issue S400. That's a pretty dramatic change in feel, but if true it sure seems to be working so far.

I don't understand how this is indicative of a 'failure' in a system. Can you expand?

How many people are buying GCQuad's at their sticker price for 'quick numbers'? If it was so ineffective, why wouldn't Captain Overthinker just use a Trackman?

Also, the last time I spoke with a representative from Foresight, they were selling their GCQuad units as fast as they were making them.

Clearly their price/design/platform/execution is exceeding expectations.

I have a gc2 in my home sim. Perhaps I’ll ask the wife if I should switch it out for a quad and TrackMan. #Divorce.
Man it would be sweet to be a PGA tour pro. Good thing we have these THP events that allow us feel like pros for a few days.

Pretty sure the bolded was not part of the consideration with Bryson.

I find his entire process from clubs to balls very intriguing. To spend a few days with him and watch him go over everything and how he analyzes his swing and results with each club and ball would be pretty cool to witness! Too much information for me to digest, but if he can do it, have at it!!

An aside to the thread, his brain just works different. I think the commercials with him and tiger are pretty funny.

The commentators indicated he wanted quick ball numbers from the GCQuad, but had the Flightscope for club data.

I would be willing to bet $1 that the commentator misspoke and switched the monitors.

The GCQuad is more accurate for club data than the Flightscope.

Also, the last time I spoke with a representative from Foresight, they were selling their GCQuad units as fast as they were making them.

Clearly their price/design/platform/execution is exceeding expectations.

Yeah, if I had the dough I would buy a GC Quad months ago. I will not confirm or deny that I have added a refurbed GC2 into the cart several times..... GC Quad seems to be the clear leader.

I would be willing to bet $1 that the commentator misspoke and switched the monitors.

The GCQuad is more accurate for club data than the Flightscope.

Nope, he wasn't using the stickers and was switching clubs every few shots. He'd get a quick look at the GCQuad screen after each shot for ball numbers though.

I'm not debating whether it is more accurate or not.

I don't understand how this is indicative of a 'failure' in a system. Can you expand?

How many people are buying GCQuad's at their sticker price for 'quick numbers'? If it was so ineffective, why wouldn't Captain Overthinker just use a Trackman?

When you look down the line at any PGA Tour event it's almost entirely Trackman units. You can easily see it this week on the "Masters On the Range" video feed at masters.com.

I don't know who Foresight is selling them to other than fitters/stores, but if tour pros are buying them they certainly aren't using them when it matters most.

ETA - Even a tour pro who is using one (Bryson), isn't relying on it for club data. Though, I'll admit it is likely only because of the sticker requirement, as it's certainly not more convenient to use two systems.

Pretty sure the bolded was not part of the consideration with Bryson.

Normally I'd think you were spot on given his data driven approach. But, if the article is correct, he values feel at least somewhat:

In an effort to gain more consistency with his wedges, Schomin and DeChambeau tested different head weights — some of them 300 grams instead of the 275 grams he had been using — with lighter JumboMax prototype grips, made from a hard foam instead of rubber, but the new club builds didn’t feel the same or solve the issue...

With DeChambeau already altering known equipment variables, he decided to try a softer True Temper Dynamic Gold S400 shaft profile — and something immediately clicked, producing the feel and consistency he was looking for. The results were so good, he wound up adding the shaft to his wedges and Cobra Forged One Length irons (6-PW).

https://www.golf.com/gear/irons/2019/04/12/bryson-dechambeau-irons-equipment-masters-2019/

It's really weird to me that the change was only for the 6-PW for the irons. I guess he has the club speed/distance in the long irons and was just looking for the spin in the scoring irons?

Usually it's as important in the long irons to help with launch and ball speed. Even for some tour pros given the early success of the original DG AMT shafts. Though, they didn't seem to really get that popular.

When you look down the line at any PGA Tour event it's almost entirely Trackman units. You can easily see it this week on the "Masters On the Range" video feed at masters.com.

I don't know who Foresight is selling them to other than fitters/stores, but if tour pros are buying them they certainly aren't using them when it matters most.

ETA - Even a tour pro who is using one (Bryson), isn't relying on it for club data. Though, I'll admit it is likely only because of the sticker requirement, as it's certainly not more convenient to use two systems.

none of this is any indication of the quality of the feedback that Foresight provides with their GCQuad, as far as I can tell. And for the company, eliminating the need for the HMT system in addition to the main unit was a big boost for simplicity sake with the release of the GCQuad.

If your argument is that Trackman is a more convenient method than putting little stickers on a clubhead, I'll agree with it. But it's by no stretch of the imagination a 'failure' in their system.

none of this is any indication of the quality of the feedback that Foresight provides with their GCQuad, as far as I can tell. And for the company, eliminating the need for the HMT system in addition to the main unit was a big boost for simplicity sake with the release of the GCQuad.

If your argument is that Trackman is a more convenient method than putting little stickers on a clubhead, I'll agree with it. But it's by no stretch of the imagination a 'failure' in their system.

I disagree, solely because you aren't seeing it utilized more. I think if they can get around that design flaw that they would be considerably more successful.

And again, I'm not debating the quality of the feedback. I don't think it's a bad design for obtaining ball numbers.

I disagree, solely because you aren't seeing it utilized more. I think if they can get around that design flaw that they would be considerably more successful.

I'm not sure how they could be more successful if they cannot keep their product in stock based on interest. Thoughts?

Most instructors in places that are seasonal will have GC2 or quads for instruction when things go indoors, at least from my experience here in the Northeast. The numbers I've seen from trackman indoors have been way off at times.

I'm not sure how they could be more successful if they cannot keep their product in stock based on interest. Thoughts?

That's all relative. How many units do they make/sell a year. How does that compare to Trackman and Flightscope? They aren't going to tell you that they are outsold 10-1 or 20-1 or whatever to Tour Pros because that's not going to benefit their sales.

And again, I'm not debating the quality of the feedback. I don't think it's a bad design for obtaining ball numbers.

Actually it is utilized more. In fact a lot more.
Just not at a PGA Tour event, where they would have to remove the stickers before play.
If the judgement on best is what is used right before someone goes into a tournament round, then the golfer as a whole is doomed.

That's all relative. How many units do they make/sell a year. How does that compare to Trackman and Flightscope? They aren't going to tell you that they are outsold 10-1 or 20-1 or whatever to Tour Pros because that's not going to benefit their sales.

I would suspect that's because their target market isn't the finite number of guys on tour who use them before a tournament, but like you I am just guessing here.

First of all, Bryson is a paid endorser for Flightscope. That's the simple answer for why he uses Flightscope over Trackman.

Why he's using 2 devices is beyond me. Maybe he wants to just see the initial launch/spin/ball speed data on the GC Quad, then go to the Flightscope as a backup for carry numbers since it's a Doppler-based system. But that seems like overkill.

I have no doubt that GC Quad is making inroads vs Trackman/Flightscope in the market of indoor simulators, fitting studios and teaching facilities. Outdoors, I think that Trackman/Flightscope is still going to win over GC Quad. If they can get it right, I think that GC Hawk is going to be the real game-changer in the indoor space for Foresight. Just being able to mount that system on the ceiling, not having to switch it for righties vs lefties, and not risking the unit itself getting hit by a ball or club will be great. My instructor almost had his GC2 unit broken when one of his students shanked a shot right into the GC2, he can't wait to get GC Hawk into his studio.

Most instructors in places that are seasonal will have GC2 or quads for instruction when things go indoors, at least from my experience here in the Northeast. The numbers I've seen from trackman indoors have been way off at times.

It's the opposite here. They only place I know of that has a GCQuad is the "Tour Fitting" section of PGA Tour SuperStore near me. All other fitters/instructors I have encountered solely use Trackman (indoors or outdoors).

I think both can produce solid data, and I have seen GC2 and GCQuad produce some numbers that seem off at times. Same goes for Trackman. I also really think Foresight screwed up a lot of amateurs equipment purchases by using software based club speed measurements/pre-set smash factors.

I've seen a good mix of both in my time, as well as the places I've visited while out in California.

I'm not a big fan of the calculations that Trackman has, and all the italicized numbers I end up seeing when I get on them especially indoors. They are both great products, but I tend to lean towards GC2 or GCQuad for my preference.

Actually it is utilized more. In fact a lot more.
Just not at a PGA Tour event, where they would have to remove the stickers before play.
If the judgement on best is what is used right before someone goes into a tournament round, then the golfer as a whole is doomed.

Foresight as a whole is used "more" (off tour) because it's cheaper. That's why bays at big box stores are lined with GC2 systems. It is NOT used more by tour pros just because you say so or because Foresight wants consumers to believe that. I do understand that you have a professional relationship with them and feel obligated to share whatever they tell you though. Just don't present it as fact when you have no facts to back that up.

I've seen a good mix of both in my time, as well as the places I've visited while out in California.

I'm not a big fan of the calculations that Trackman has, and all the italicized numbers I end up seeing when I get on them especially indoors. They are both great products, but I tend to lean towards GC2 or GCQuad for my preference.

I actually think the instructor I just started seeing uses both - Trackman when they move outside, GC when they are indoors. I haven't yet taken a lesson outside with him, but I believe I remember seeing a trackman on the range while he was giving a lesson.

The numbers I've seen outdoors on a trackman and indoors on a GC2/quad in terms of speed/spin/etc. have been very similar. It's indoors on the Trackman where I've seen the most variation from what is normal for me. Especially when it comes to spin.

Back