Day/Stricker chipping technique and wedge bounce?

J9293

Reaction score
Handicap
Hi all.

If you use a Jason Day or Steve Stricker technique for hitting chips and pitches is a low or high bounce better for your wedge? What about the grind and sole shape? I like their methods as it simply things a lot for me.

For reference Stricker and Day use very little wrist hinge and employ a shallow angle of attack. The opposite of the “hinge and hold” style the Phil uses.

https://youtu.be/CyWEhCyyaYY

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

More bounce. In my experience with this technique, double digits bounce angles is what you want.

Agree with higher bounce. I like to have a lob wedge with lower bounce(8*) and a sand wedge with a higher bounce, around 12*. That way I have all conditions covered.

I don’t think the technique necessitates one over the other as much as turf conditions do.

That being said, flat swingers generally benefit more from less bounce whereas steep swingers generally benefit more from high bounce.

The safe bet is to test some on your own and see how they perform for you.

Unless I'm trying to do a high shot over something I seldom have any hinge in my wrist. I carry a mix of bounce angles in my wedges also.

One of the short game ideologies I teach my beginner golfers because it’s such a simple way to develop some touch. And the less moving parts for them, the better.

Back