Swapping out shafts

T2GRN18

Reaction score
Handicap
How do you pick the right shaft?With the technology that goes into shaft building these days. And all the different options available as far as weight, flex, kick point, torque, hand crafted, price points, materials, color and on and on. For me it's just super confusing. Perhaps I'm in the minority, but I have no idea if a shaft is loading or not. I can't tell by looking at numbers if I'm going to get the flight I desire.

Take my swing as an example.

Driver speed is 108-109
My angle of attack is generally +3
I don't know if my swing is fast, deliberate, or smooth. I assume that means my transition?

Why does it matter what my driver speed is if I'm shopping for a shaft fur a utility iron, or irons?

I love the feel and ball flight of the HZRDUS Black 6.0 if that means anything.

What data do I need to know to make a more educated decision when shopping for a shaft?

I know buying a $300 shaft to find out it's not for me would upset How do you guys do it?

Unless money is not an issue (which it is!) I have learned I have to be fitted, typically using some computer system , Trackman or similar. There are so many shafts out there that perform differently given your swing, the decisions I make used to be based on what I read. I don't have your speed (90-95) but the point is still valid maybe more so because I need to optimize everything I can out of my effort. I can play some stiff shafts and some regular. It all depends on their bend profile and how my swing interacts with it.

Unless money is not an issue (which it is!) I have learned I have to be fitted, typically using some computer system , Trackman or similar. There are so many shafts out there that perform differently given your swing, the decisions I make used to be based on what I read. I don't have your speed (90-95) but the point is still valid maybe more so because I need to optimize everything I can out of my effort. I can play some stiff shafts and some regular. It all depends on their bend profile and how my swing interacts with it.

Ok,but what data points to you key in on when selecting a shaft? Or is it based on sight specifics?

Im the same way Kevin. Thats why I let the people who know what to look for do their job and just tell me what to play. If your not getting fit you could be cheating yourself, BUT if a shaft just works and gives you confidence then why not play it? I had 2 shafts for my driver, the one I was fit for by the best in the business and one I was given without any testing. I kept wanting to play the once I was given because it was special. Once I finally surrendered to myself that the one I was fitted for was giving me the best results I started playing much better.

That being said I am getting a Yellow HZRDUS gripped and tipped today without any numbers to support it. BUT I didn't pay for it, I won it from Project X. It compared to the black seemed like a better fit from what I know of my game.

I'm sure some more knowledgeable people will chime in but from my understanding what you are looking for is

Around 13° Launch Angle
1800-2700 spin (this can vary though based on your swing characteristics)

I go by my 7i swing speed which is around 95. That would usually mean X for my irons but most of the X shafts are just too heavy for my comfort so ill look for a heavier Stiff flex. Thats how i ended up with the Project X 6.0's in my irons. For fairway woods/hybrids, there are lighter options in X so thats what i go with

I used to just blind buy popular shafts and hope they worked for me, but lately I've gotten away from that.
I just go through a fitting and find out which ones give the best numbers, then choose based on feel and look.

Kevin I was where you were a while back and for me I simplified it down to the following knowing I have a smooth transition and not a quick/aggressive.

- carry distance. I know the head & swing have a lot to do here, but the shaft can help a ton achieve this. Here I want a shaft that loads properly given my swing so the shaft can maximize the energy I'm generating at impact

- spin. There isn't a magical number there, but I don't want spin too high where I'm being to robbed of distance off the tee. My preference is high launch/low spin here.

- feel. Arguably the most subjective part. All I know is I can tell if a shaft is too stiff or just feels like rebar during my swing. I need something with a little kick at impact, but not too much if that makes sense

- flex. Without a uniform flex code across all OEM's its harder to decide. I gravitate towards a firm or stiff flex based on my swing speed and transition.

I think a knowledgable fitter can help guide you because I agree dropping $$ on aftermarket shafts is not smart without a plan and knowing what you want to accomplish.

For my driver I have played a few different shafts over the years based on fitting. I try to get fit for my driver shaft and let the experts do their thing. Numbers to look at based on some erect fittings are spin, launch, angle of descent and peak height. I prefer outdoor fittings so I can see ball flight and somewhat compare to numbers. I don't focus on the numbers alone but rather as comparison if there are a few shafts that inline the feel of and ball flight.

for irons I was a DG s300 in everything except my i20s which I stayed with CFS. For other irons I let my local fitter recommend what to play since he has fit me a few times and saw my swing numerous times on the range and during lessons.

I will tinker with shaft qualities that are similar to what I like assuming money isn't an issue.

Something to keep in mind, I think a proper fitting is fun! You can and will learn a lot if you ask questions. If you have a good fitter around, pay the $125 or whatever it costs and go hit everything. Tell him/her up front what you are looking to learn and you just never know what you will find.

As others have said get a fitting done. But more than that not all club fitters are created equal. I find it invaluable to be fit outdoors where I can not only get feedback on the numbers from Trackman but see the ball flight. In central Florida I would highly recommend Randall Doucette at the Marriott Golf Academy (formerly Faldo's). Getting properly fit takes the guess work out of an admittedly confusing process. Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Really good question.

I have done some online fiitting tools. Most recently the TrueTemper as I wanted to see what Driver shaft it recommended for me of their line. And the big thing was exactly what they said, what kind of tranisstion to I have, smooth, moderate or aggressive. I honestly dont' know. I think it's moderate, as my swing speed is average to a little below average (93) and I don't think I swing too hard. But I also have never been able to "feel" if I'm loading a shaft, and often times can't feel where the clubhead is like so many say is important.

So I try to relay on live fittings as much as possible and try to go by what they say. I probably should ask more questions about the numbers and the results of my swing. Maybe an opportunity will present itself in Memphis this fall :)

This is a confusing topic indeed. I'm with you, I don't know what is what and what I should really be looking at. I'd do this, go get fit by someone who's unbiased and not trying to sell you anything. It's possible that your stock shaft can deliver on "most" of the important categories you're looking for. I'm working on fine tuning a swing change right now and once done I'm going to go get fit myself. I don't know if an aftermarket shaft is right for me or not, but I want to see what my numbers are and if there's a way for me to maximize my potential with a better shaft I'm all for it!

Get a fitting is the best answer.

Short of that though, the key is to try several different shafts in your desired head on a launch monitor and see which ones give you the best performance. Then, once you've got ones picked out that perform well, decide which ones feel the best to you.

Ok,but what data points to you key in on when selecting a shaft? Or is it based on sight specifics?
I tend to focus on distance and feel. And that's why I trust the trained professional to help me here, they look at the big picture - launch angle, spin, loft, dispersion and whatever else to come up with a decision.

i've been fitted lots of times because it's fun, but in my opinion i rarely swing as well indoors on an lm as i do outdoors and nobody around here offers an outdoor fitting. so that's led to some tinkering on my part. i know my transition because i've seen my swing on video, and i can compare it to other swings i've seen. i have an idea what my numbers are, and through (expensive) trial and error i'm starting to understand what i like and don't like.

i don't think it's axiomatic that if you like "this profile in your woods" you will like "this same profile in your irons." some people go really hard at their woods, but have a smoother, more controlled swing with their irons. some people really like to feel their irons kick at impact. for me, i like a soft-tip driver shaft that helps the ball spin and launch, but my favorite iron shaft is the og project x in 5.5. it's not the best fit for my swing, but i love the way it feels. those profiles are pretty opposite.

i understand the "get fit" crew, but i see a fitting as yes a way to get your numbers, but maybe even more so an opportunity to try LOTS of different options to see what feels best for you. if it feels best and gives you the most confidence, it may be a better fit even if the numbers aren't perfect.

what i would look for when you're trying to find what might work for you is, wait for it... THP REVIEWS!!! after reading jman, canadan and hawk review products, i identified with hawk then started focusing on his feedback to find out what i might want to try. if you have played with james or dan, perhaps one of them have similar swing speeds and spin characteristics as you, and you can lean on their fantastic feedback.

then there are thp and non-thp-sanctioned outings and events. ask to hit gear you're curious about.

and have fun with it! my 2015 was the year of the great shaft experiment. i probably tried a dozen different shafts in my driver last year, and a few different shafts in hybrid. what i found was that results weren't that dissimilar, but feel was very different so i focused a lot more on feel. i had fun in the process and spent more money than i should have, but it was very educational and i scratched the itch. 2016 won't be the same!

good luck!

How do you pick the right shaft?With the technology that goes into shaft building these days. And all the different options available as far as weight, flex, kick point, torque, hand crafted, price points, materials, color and on and on. For me it's just super confusing. Perhaps I'm in the minority, but I have no idea if a shaft is loading or not. I can't tell by looking at numbers if I'm going to get the flight I desire.
Take my swing as an example.
Driver speed is 108-109
My angle of attack is generally +3
I don't know if my swing is fast, deliberate, or smooth. I assume that means my transition?
Why does it matter what my driver speed is if I'm shopping for a shaft fur a utility iron, or irons?
I love the feel and ball flight of the HZRDUS Black 6.0 if that means anything.
What data do I need to know to make a more educated decision when shopping for a shaft?
I know buying a $300 shaft to find out it's not for me would upset How do you guys do it?

Good topic. I was thinking about this the other day. I'm looking forward to hearing the responses of those who are more knowledgeable on this topic, particularly for your last question.

I don't feel like my transition is fast, but I've been told it's a pretty aggressive move, so I don't know about that. I've used the online fitting tools of shaft manufacturers, but that feels more like guesswork than anything to me. I've had a few fittings, but never one outside. I've always been fit for the same shaft, but I am interested in trying Project X's newest offerings, Aldila's, and Grandura's. I'm a bit fuzzy on the loading thing as well.

I think if I were really in the market and the budget allowed for it, I would do an outside fitting with a LM (I know THP offers it at an event, but I wouldn't want to dominate the LM when so many others want to use it).

Let me say that this thread wasn't necessarily about what would best fit my swing, my though was to get some discussion on what characteristics people use from fittings and reviews. I lean heavily on said reviews, and events that THPers attend. I tend to look towards companies that understand and "get it" as far as THP goes.

Once again if this thread can help people get through the mountains of data then it's a good thing.

Let me say that this thread wasn't necessarily about what would best fit my swing, my though was to get some discussion on what characteristics people use from fittings and reviews. I lean heavily on said reviews, and events that THPers attend. I tend to look towards companies that understand and "get it" as far as THP goes.

Once again if this thread can help people get through the mountains of data then it's a good thing.

sorry, i misunderstood your intent of the thread. so i'll modify to say this: trying to fit yourself by analyzing the data is pointless. if i learned anything from don from project x in his thp radio interview and his feedback in various threads it's that every shaft - including flexes and weights within the same product line - is unique. torque means nothing other than feel. flex is not standard. there's no such thing as a low spin high launch shaft. there is no alternative other than hitting a shaft to see if you like it. a review from someone whose game you know may be a decent way to get you started down the path, but even then feel is so subjective. you have to try before you buy, unless you're ok to burn a lot of cash in the pursuit which is ok because sometimes the experience is as much about the journey as it is the destination.

I have been fit numerous times and know what types of shafts will work best for me. If I know it will work then price is not and issue. I don't get hung up on numbers because I change my approach on each and every hole. Same swing just slightly different setup. So my AOA may different from one hole to the next. My SS may different. The shaft I choose to play must be able to handle any situation I ask it to.

For me right now it's a whole lot of hit or miss, literally. I've had the luck of trying a ton of shafts since joining THP and some have been head to head in the same head on course. But honestly that's why the UST event intrigues me so much, or any other previous/current shaft event, I need a crash course in shaft knowledge ASAP!!!

I have been fit numerous times and know what types of shafts will work best for me. If I know it will work then price is not and issue. I don't get hung up on numbers because I change my approach on each and every hole. Same swing just slightly different setup. So my AOA may different from one hole to the next. My SS may different. The shaft I choose to play must be able to handle any situation I ask it to.

What is it that works best for you brother? Is it the combination of things? A flex and kick point. How do you know where to start?

To get to that point of knowing what works for you I'm guessing there was trial and error on the course and range, but probably some sort if fitting along the way. Did you use numbers and/or ball flight to help determine what works best for your swing?

i have a handful a shafts I know I work for me and used both fitting with numbers and the ball flight.

What is it that works best for you brother? Is it the combination of things? A flex and kick point. How do you know where to start?

For me it's launch and feel as well as dispersion. But launch to be is big, I've strived for 14.5* of launch because it works for me. If I can get this without a major adjustment, I'm happy. If I struggle to get there and have to add spine angle then maybe it's not for me.

I am lost in the shaft world and only thing I have tried to go off is spin. I know I put a lot of spin on the ball so I look for a lower spin lower launch combo. I will say that I had the Black Tie in my last driver and have the Whiteboard in my current and like them both a lot.

To get to that point of knowing what works for you I'm guessing there was trial and error on the course and range, but probably some sort if fitting along the way. Did you use numbers and/or ball flight to help determine what works best for your swing?

i have a handful a shafts I know I work for me and used both fitting with numbers and the ball flight.

Before the onset of trackman and flight scope and computers you had to eyeball your ball flight. I have played half my career in Florida fairways so I was always looking for a launch angle that would plane out and give me some run out on typical days and carry well on wet days. When fittings became big I found out what my spin needed to be to a have that launch angle. So when testing shafts I look for those numbers because I know they will work for what I need.

Knowing my swing is more than half the equations. Once people know their peaks and valleys, they can choose from a host of shafts that will work. Hell I have 5 shafts in woods and they all perform well except for one. I'll be swapping that out this week.

Back