2 problems that i am sure are somehow connected

Art M

Reaction score
Handicap
Seldom with the irons, most often with the driver or 3 wood I have a pattern. The first case is: I will hit the ball perfectly in the direction I am aiming and then as it approaches 2/3 its anticipated landing area watch it drift to the right of the fairway, or worse. The second case: hit it dead straight, with a great strike and distance but pull the ball dead left. If the ball had gone straight, it would be a smile inducing drive. I have always struggled with ott and practiced not to do it and my body feels like i am not. the result says i have a problem. any suggestions?

i will try to improve on the quality of video next time. this particular drive went pretty well, but...

Last edited:
I am no Freddie, but that certainly sounds like your OTT move causing both the shots you describe as it is something I have suffered with at times as well

I have been working with a pro to reduce my OTT move and come at the ball from the inside and have seen draws (and hooks) with my driver that I never managed to hit before. Mine is still work in progress but I would advise a lesson (either via instruction from a pro or from Freddie on here) to have your swing looked at

It sounds like an over the top move still.
You could try to force yourself to hit down the first base line at impact. Meaning like if you were at bat at home base and trying to go opposite field instead of pull the ball.

First off the ball will begin to move along its given axis as it loses speed and the dimples take over. This is why you see straight and then curved shots.

As many golfer do, you are holding your hips for the hook and out in front for the slice. Both of these positions are very common amongst golfers so you are not alone at all. More than likely you start your swing with your arms and then you lower body gets involved. I don't think you're way over the top but you are definitely outside of the intended swing path. If you start your swing with your hips releasing it will drop the club more to an inside oath and I think your start hitting straight shots that may draw ever so slightly.

Correct me if I am wrong here, but would looking at the Game Golf video that Paladin was in with Mark Crossfield be of any use?

Just the simple thoughts that Crossfield gave seemed to make a difference for Paladin?

thanks for your thoughts guys, Freddie, when you suggest starting the hips first, do i interpret that as starting with a slight hip bump toward the target or an effort to start the rotation of the hips before the arms move? also, i will look at that crossfield vid

I do not want to step on Freddie's toes here, but another possible source for videos if you want to look at them is Peter Finch. He recently (about a week ago) put up a set of 3 videos called

Golf Swing Fundamentals - Nail The Takeaway
Golf Swing Fundamentals - Downswing Transition
Golf Swing Fundamentals - Impact and Finish Position

I have watched the downswing transition video but wanted to check with my lesson pro (who I am seeing tomorrow) before I consider trying to put into practice what is shown in the video in case it isn't suitable for what my pro wants me to be doing

I do not want to step on Freddie's toes here, but another possible source for videos if you want to look at them is Peter Finch. He recently (about a week ago) put up a set of 3 videos called

Golf Swing Fundamentals - Nail The Takeaway
Golf Swing Fundamentals - Downswing Transition
Golf Swing Fundamentals - Impact and Finish Position

I have watched the downswing transition video but wanted to check with my lesson pro (who I am seeing tomorrow) before I consider trying to put into practice what is shown in the video in case it isn't suitable for what my pro wants me to be doing

great little series. he hits all the fundamentals. thanks

thanks for your thoughts guys, Freddie, when you suggest starting the hips first, do i interpret that as starting with a slight hip bump toward the target or an effort to start the rotation of the hips before the arms move? also, i will look at that crossfield vid

If a bump toward the target helps, sure. But I am talking more about the left hip pulling away from the golf ball. We turn our hips through the shot not slide.

i played this weekend, consciously starting my turn from the waist before the shoulders. as you know, changes aren't made easily, it took effort. my slice was reduced, often eliminated, i will continue to improve on this aspect of my game. who knows, maybe i will eventually see a draw

video added

to my original post, poor quality though. watching myself was an avenue i had never been down before. from what i saw i made a few changes and really struck the ball well yesterday. have to love when that happens

I see no video

sorry for my knuckle headedness. i see it, here at work, on my home computer, and on my phone. Vimeo

I see it Art. Gotta love Seekonk! What changes did you make based on what you saw in your vid?

First off the ball will begin to move along its given axis as it loses speed and the dimples take over. This is why you see straight and then curved shots.

As many golfer do, you are holding your hips for the hook and out in front for the slice. Both of these positions are very common amongst golfers so you are not alone at all. More than likely you start your swing with your arms and then you lower body gets involved. I don't think you're way over the top but you are definitely outside of the intended swing path. If you start your swing with your hips releasing it will drop the club more to an inside oath and I think your start hitting straight shots that may draw ever so slightly.

Well I was right about you holding the hips. The club is across the line and the hands are behind. You have no room to swing the club. So you lose spine angle so club can swing thru. But that ball in the video went left not straight.

The left hip needs to start the down swing. Or you can keep swinging the way you are but open your stance at address. This will create space on the down swing. Couple this will swinging he club at at your intended target and I think you be pleased with the results.

If you want to try the hips clearing early, you'll also be pleased but the learning curve is much longer

I see it Art. Gotta love Seekonk! What changes did you make based on what you saw in your vid?

I slowed my take away down and am trying to keep the club on plane instead of inside plane on the way back. I am initiating the down swing with the hip and pump dropping the right arm down. My damn mental checklist is so long you could drink a coffee waiting for me, just joking. i played today in the practice field and hit a draw, more than once (5 iron, 6 iron, 7 iron), for the first time in the 3 years i've been playing. i actually feel a difference. i hope it sticks. my body knows i am doing something different because i can feel that i have used pieces that have been left dormant

Last edited:
Well I was right about you holding the hips. The club is across the line and the hands are behind. You have no room to swing the club. So you lose spine angle so club can swing thru. But that ball in the video went left not straight.

The left hip needs to start the down swing. Or you can keep swinging the way you are but open your stance at address. This will create space on the down swing. Couple this will swinging he club at at your intended target and I think you be pleased with the results.

If you want to try the hips clearing early, you'll also be pleased but the learning curve is much longer

funny thing is, sir, even you telling me this, i have little comprehension of what you speak. "The club is across the line and the hands are behind" what does that mean? i made some changes as i posted above and the results, with my irons as i have not hit driver yet, have been excellent. thanks for trying to help me. art

I am going to try to sequence the hip movement better. I am going to try a drill i saw on you tube "me and my golf, how to clear your hips in the downswing". if i lack the coordination to succeed at this drill by weeks end, i will try opening my stance. all the work i put in during the week went to pot on saturday when i shot a 109!!!! sunday went better with a score of 87 but still not what i want. Rome was not built in a day. thanks for your help[h=1][/h]

2 rounds after incorporating the hip turn, with spine tilt, attacking from the inside, with my changes mentioned above the ott has been reduced. it still happens on occasion, but it is not overwhelming. i hope something in this thread can help another golfer. thanks every one for your help

2 rounds after incorporating the hip turn, with spine tilt, attacking from the inside, with my changes mentioned above the ott has been reduced. it still happens on occasion, but it is not overwhelming. i hope something in this thread can help another golfer. thanks every one for your help

Stay with it and it will become second nature.

Back