Sporting event you left/turned off early...

dhartmann34

Reaction score
Handicap
So in honor of Northern Iowa's collapse and me not watching, I thought it may be interesting to see what event you left/turned off early because you thought it was over....

July 30, 1995... My parents took me to my first Cubs game. Phillies took the lead in the 9th, 7-5 and my parents made us leave to beat traffic. Well we got out to the car and we were blocked in just outside the stadium by the McDonald's. We sat by the car listening on the radio. Bottom of the 9th, Shawon Dunston hits a 3 run home run with two outs to win the game 8-7.... We heard the crack of the bat and the whole stadium go insane from the car before the radio relayed what was going on. I watched the replay on every news channel many many times when I got home.

Just found the article... http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...7300328_1_ex-cub-cubs-clubhouse-wrigley-field

I turned off the tv when Mariano Rivera came in to close out the WS winning game against the Diamondbacks.

I turned off the tv when Mariano Rivera came in to close out the WS winning game against the Diamondbacks.
I remember watching that in my dorm room ?

When the Twins won the World Series in 1987 and 1991, my father let me stay up to watch with him. Both times I fell asleep. I'm still not happy about it.

I never leave before it's over. Seriously, I can't leave. I feel some strange sensation of guilt for disrespecting the event by not staying until it is done. If I can be considered OCD on anything, it's that.

I turned off the 2004 Yankees/Red Sox game in the 9th inning of Game 4. Little did I realize.....

I turned off the 2004 Yankees/Red Sox game in the 9th inning of Game 4. Little did I realize.....

I was thinking the same thing. I turned off game 5 of that series.

For me, though, the 2005 Penn State/Michigan football game I turned off midway through the 4th quarter to get some sleep. And while I didn't turn it off, I fell asleep at the tail end of the 4th round of Chael Sonnen versus Anderson Silva in 2010.

When the Twins won the World Series in 1987 and 1991, my father let me stay up to watch with him. Both times I fell asleep. I'm still not happy about it.

I haven't been happy about the '91 Series for 25 years now...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cinti vs. Pitt Playoff game (Typical)

Sad to say, game 6 2011 WS. I have trouble watching big games like that. I don't want to see the other team win...I'm a basket case, just cant watch. I'm like Brad Pitt in Moneyball. I'll just check the score every few minutes, but can't bear to watch. Anyway, go to bed after the 7th, thinking the Cardinals will lose. Get up the next morning and the wife was up and looked was was like OMG they won in extra innings. So before work I watched the last innings on the DVR. I managed to pull it together enough to watch game 7.

Sad to say, game 6 2011 WS. I have trouble watching big games like that. I don't want to see the other team win...I'm a basket case, just cant watch. I'm like Brad Pitt in Moneyball. I'll just check the score every few minutes, but can't bear to watch. Anyway, go to bed after the 7th, thinking the Cardinals will lose. Get up the next morning and the wife was up and looked was was like OMG they won in extra innings. So before work I watched the last innings on the DVR. I managed to pull it together enough to watch game 7.

My wife still makes fun of me for this game.... I woke her up as I was screaming and running around the house like a 5 year old. One of my best memories as a Cards fan for sure.

I haven't been happy about the '91 Series for 25 years now...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My wife still makes fun of me for this game.... I woke her up as I was screaming and running around the house like a 5 year old. One of my best memories as a Cards fan for sure.
And we'll see you tomorrow night!

Turned off the McGrady's 13 points in 35 seconds game

2012 Manchester City - QPR game. City was down 2-1 an needed to win the match to be premier league champs. I went for a run when it hit the high 80's only to come back and learn City scored twice in stoppage time to take the championship.

1st race of the 2015 F1 season. Got bored after about 20 laps then ddnt tune back in till qualifying for this years Auzzie GP!!

Also walked out of Nottingham Forest v Huddersfield Town (im a town fan) in 2003 (in think that was the year, TBH we've been poor most years). We were 5 -0 down by half time

Boston Red Sox vs. Baltimore Orioles on Mother's Day in I think 2007 or 2008. Red Sox were horrible that day and I turned it off in the 6th or 7th inning with the Sox losing 5-0.. Checked later and they scored 6 runs in the bottom of the 9th to come back and win the game.

I almost turned off SuperBowl 49 after the Kearse catch at the 5. The only thing I could say at that point was "not again." As a Patriots fan, I'm glad I couldn't find the remote.

I almost turned off SuperBowl 49 after the Kearse catch at the 5. The only thing I could say at that point was "not again." As a Patriots fan, I'm glad I couldn't find the remote.

I wanted to do the same thing. Thank god I didn't.

Colts vs. Bucs in 2003.

I still am mad at myself for doing that.

I was in Chapel Hill in 1993 with some friends watching the UNC/Florida State basketball game. For a refresher, UNC would win the national championship later in the year and featured Donald Williams, George Lynch, Eric Montross, Derrick Phelps, Brian Reese, Henrik Rodl, Dante Calabria and Pat Sullivan. FSU featured Charlie Ward, Sam Cassell, Bob Sura. Derrick Carroll, Doug Edwards and Rodney Dobard. The court was loaded with future NBA and overseas talent. With 12 minutes remaining, FSU lead by 21 and some friends wanted to head over to Franklin Street. Luckily, my best friend and I refused to leave and would meet up with them later. UNC stormed back to win by 5. Still the most exciting atmosphere I have ever been a part of! The rest of our group are still pissed about it today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4ey1oyTQo4

I turned off the Royals Wild Card game in 2014 after they went down 5 - 2 in the 6th inning. I decided to workout to blow off some steam. I worked out for about 45 minutes and turned the game back on to see what I thought would be the end of the game. Only to find them down 7 - 3 in the 8th inning. Little did I know what was about to come! Bottom of the 12th....tied at 8. Runner on 2nd, two outs....Salvy Perez reaches out and shoots a liner just inside the 3rd base bag! The Royals have a walkoff Wildcard WIN OF THE AGES!

Since I knew the USSR would destroy the Americans, I went night skiing instead of watching the "Miracle on Ice".

It wasn't for the gold medal obviously but I still regret missing it.

I'll never forget those words, along with Kirby's HR and catch.

Still gives me goose bumps just thinking about it.

Mine was on a much smaller scale, it was back when I was in high school and we were at the state basketball tournament. We had brought my buddies younger brother and cousin with us and we were there watching games all day, the last game of the night had turned into a massive romp so we decided to call it a night. We got home to see that Red Lake had just pulled off the biggest 4th quarter comeback in state tournament history and the game went into at least two overtimes which we watched from the couch instead of our fourth row seats.

2003 ALCS Game 7. Sox-Yankees. I turned it off as soon as Boone made contact.

Back