Foursome Of Strangers Etiquette

Papaw

Reaction score
I nearly always have a foursome consisting of 3 other golf buddies. Occasionally only two of us show up and we are paired with another twosome. Starting with the tee-box, some want to play from other than we usually play. That's OK, we can go along with any of the boxes they choose and it gives us a chance to use different clubs. Then there is the decision of the order of who tees off - no real problem there except when they say someone "has the box"? Then there are the greens that we say, "it's a give me" and some insist on putting till in the hole - no problem except embarrassing when forced to make a 18 inch putt and miss. Then there is the 9th hole turn. We usually go straight to 10 and some want to snack and reload drinks. Only problem is possibly loosing your space and extending your overall time.
Don't get me wrong, I love meeting new fellow golfers and can be as flexible as anyone but just wondering if there is any set standard policies in this circumstance.
Someone suggested that we book a threesome and then just them when we get there that one didn't show.

I play with strangers all the time and I can tell you there are no set policies or standards outside of basic politeness.
Do whatever you want, and they should do whatever they want, and you should all get along just fine.

Playing different tees is allowed. Play ready golf. Putting out is the proper way if you keep a handicap. I'm not losing my spot so others can buy food; they can catch up or find their way as a twosome, I guess. Take off your hat and shake hands at the end.

Please don't book for more than you know are going to show up. We know you are full of it when you say they bagged you or whatever excuse you use. We will still try to pair you up if it is busy.

I was the guy who used to book a foursome when I knew we would never be one. I wish I could go back to all the courses I did it to and apologize for being an ass.

Introduce yourself, shake hands, make 10 minutes of small talk spread out over the first three holes about where you work and what you do. After that, affirmative grunts at good shots and the whispered "Get down" at bad shots will suffice. Shake hands at the end no matter how people play.

I really only play with strangers, and this has worked pretty well for me.

And unless you are sitting down inside to eat your hot dog at the turn, you aren't going to lose your place on the course.

I normally don't give strangers putts especially if it's a 2/3some because I don't what games they maybe playing. Small talk is normal throughout, some golfers do more than others and I have only played with a handful of guys that weren't fun to be around.

if they want to stop at the turn to grab food or drinks that's cool because there is time between us and the group behind us to not slow us down or lose where we are on the course.

When I travel I encounter this but most of the time at home I'm playing with people I know. My view is that strangers have their own thing going on and I'm just along for the ride. Provided they aren't painfully slow I can deal with most things that come up. I don't give putts, because I do believe the ball should finish in the hole, but that is between them. As for the turn, I'm moving forward, will hang for a few minutes but if the group on 9 is coming, off I go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't mind playing with strangers. Just follow the old rule. Treat them just like you would like to be treated and enjoy.

I guess I just never have these issues so it's hard for me to relate. I've never lost my spot on the course. I always ask before giving a out and I take my gimmes in casual play and tee boxes never get questioned.

I think meeting people is part of the fun of golf, here are my rules:
- enjoy the company
- let everybody play fromt he tee they want, you dont have to all play fromt he same tees.
- I would give gimmies for the first few holes, if I realise the guys are not taking it, they have the right to, and its actually the proper way to play the game.
- enjoy the company
- play ready golf
- stopping at the turn is fine
- NEVER book for more people than you intend to show up with.
- enjoy the company

everyone plays their own game... I am the only person who i can give myself a putt. If someone wants to play from the blues or blacks. they should tee first. play ready golf.

Good thoughts and manners. Sounds like true sports on this forum!

I play with strangers quite a bit and you make the normal small talk and play your own game. As long as you play ready golf its really just a normal round. Most people I have met on the course were really nice and easy to get along with.

I nearly always have a foursome consisting of 3 other golf buddies. Occasionally only two of us show up and we are paired with another twosome. Starting with the tee-box, some want to play from other than we usually play. That's OK, we can go along with any of the boxes they choose and it gives us a chance to use different clubs. Then there is the decision of the order of who tees off - no real problem there except when they say someone "has the box"? Then there are the greens that we say, "it's a give me" and some insist on putting till in the hole - no problem except embarrassing when forced to make a 18 inch putt and miss. Then there is the 9th hole turn. We usually go straight to 10 and some want to snack and reload drinks. Only problem is possibly loosing your space and extending your overall time.
Don't get me wrong, I love meeting new fellow golfers and can be as flexible as anyone but just wondering if there is any set standard policies in this circumstance.
Someone suggested that we book a threesome and then just them when we get there that one didn't show.

If you have that many concerns/ground rules, you might consider never playing with strangers. It's a simple concept of communication. "Hey bud, I'll just finish my putts out if that's ok." See? That was easy. "We're going straight to #10 instead of the clubhouse. Cool?" Simple.

After introductions and explaining which tees you play from, it should be pretty simple - you play your game, they play theirs. If you give/don't give putts continue to do so. Don't get involved in what the others are doing or what "rules" they play by. Play nice, and at the end of the round shake hands and everyone goes on their way. I know its not this simple, but it should be.

I play with strangers quite a bit and you make the normal small talk and play your own game. As long as you play ready golf its really just a normal round. Most people I have met on the course were really nice and easy to get along with.

I think meeting people is part of the fun of golf, here are my rules:
- enjoy the company
- let everybody play fromt he tee they want, you dont have to all play fromt he same tees.
- I would give gimmies for the first few holes, if I realise the guys are not taking it, they have the right to, and its actually the proper way to play the game.
- enjoy the company
- play ready golf
- stopping at the turn is fine
- NEVER book for more people than you intend to show up with.
- enjoy the company

I'm with these two.

I'll admit, I'm terrible at this one. If I show up as a single I'll try to avoid getting paired up with someone if at all possible. I will obviously if it's busy or whatever. And of course I'm nice and polite if someone approaches me and my group on 1 asking to pair up. But if it's me that's the single I try to slip in somewhere so I can play alone.

I'm with Marty on this. Your out there to have a good time on the course so play the game as always. Don't book for more than you have and if someone cancels out let the pro shop know, there's always singles trying to get on (at least at my course).

As long as we're not betting, I really don't care how the other guys play. If they choose to give themselves 5 footers for gimmes, or have their caddies move their balls out of trouble, that's the way they play golf. It's not my way, but to each his own.

In tournaments, unless I'm a tourney officer or I've been asked to watch someone, I also don't care, and frankly I've been in more than one tournament where I was left wondering if they were keeping score properly.

I'll be the first to admit I'm not Mr. Personality, but I usually get along fine with whoever I play with. It's ironic that some guys I don't drink with or do business with end up being cool golf partners.

Playing solo and with a group both have their pros and cons. In my home course which is relatively empty, I prefer playing alone so I can work on parts of my game or work out some issues with my swing. Of course, it's also great fun to be playing with good friends.

I will usually give strangers the benefit of the doubt and keep quiet if their actions don't mesh well with how I like to play the game, I just choose not to play with them again.

Golf is a game where we're expected to have some integrity and decorum, never mind if sometimes our laughter can be heard two fairways away, so a certain kind of decent behavior is expected of us golfers. Probably because of that, I usually get along fine with golfing with strangers.

Some rules I've learned:

Don't be a jerk,
Don't be a prima Donna even if you own the course,
Keep up,
Don't give out swing tips unless someone asks for it,
Don't give yourself gimmes and wait for someone to give it to you, otherwise, putt out.
No whining, and have fun.

Playing different tees is allowed. Play ready golf. Putting out is the proper way if you keep a handicap. I'm not losing my spot so others can buy food; they can catch up or find their way as a twosome, I guess. Take off your hat and shake hands at the end.
Ditto & Ditto on these for sure, play the tees you want and play ready golf, keeps the round going and pace of play, hopefully, keeps going.

I'll admit, I'm terrible at this one. If I show up as a single I'll try to avoid getting paired up with someone if at all possible. I will obviously if it's busy or whatever. And of course I'm nice and polite if someone approaches me and my group on 1 asking to pair up. But if it's me that's the single I try to slip in somewhere so I can play alone.
I do the same thing, allows you to play super fast and at your own pace!

And unless you are sitting down inside to eat your hot dog at the turn, you aren't going to lose your place on the course.
People don't call in their orders when approaching #8? If I have that option, and I know I'm going to eat, this is what I try to do.

As for give me's, I always say "You can pick that up if you want." but always leave the option up to them and don't get bent out of shape if they don't take it, or don't offer the same in return.

I typically follow a few rules for playing with strangers:

1) I've never met a stranger.

2) Everyone is there to have fun

3) Play how you want to play, but play ready golf

4) "that's good in my book" is repeated on the greens.

5) Take off your hat and shake hands when you're done.

I typically follow a few rules for playing with strangers:

1) I've never met a stranger. That's the beauty of the game .... everyone is out there to play the game we love ... your breather-en

2) Everyone is there to have fun. Very true. How you have fun might not be how they have fun, but still.

3) Play how you want to play, but play ready golf Playing how you want is one thing, but if you play the "wrong" set of tees and it slows up play, don't go off the deep end if I politely ask you to move up a set ... just in the essence of speeding up play.

4) "that's good in my book" is repeated on the greens. I agree on this one. I use this one a lot. Whether they chose to putt it out or not, I will ask "you wanna putt that out cause it's good by me."

5) Take off your hat and shake hands when you're done. ​Be polite ... after all it's a gentlemen's game after all.

Everyone is going to play the game differently to some extent .... but it's how you let it affect you or not that determines how you approach the day and the round. For the most part, I will play my game the way I want to play it, who really cares. I may adjust some things along the way during the round but in the end, it's just a round of golf.

Back