Callaway XR16 Driver Review Thread

I've still yet to hit this. I had a lot of luck with the XR so I'm wondering how this will compare to my M2.

With as good as you're hitting the M2 right now that might be a tough task for the xr16. Should be a good head to head battle though

Sounds like a very good head. How does the stock shaft perform?

My XR16 with the white tie arrived today. Playing 18 with it tomorrow afternoon. Cant wait.

My XR16 with the white tie arrived today. Playing 18 with it tomorrow afternoon. Cant wait.

Looking forward to your feedback.

I'm sure a tester can help me with this. I currently hit G30 SF Tec set at 10.5* stock TFC419 shaft in regular flex. Question is, is the stock speeder shaft in regular flex going to be comparable? I know manufactures shaft flex can vary a bit, so just wondering. Swing speed is around 95mph. Thanks.

Mine just came in today, playing on Friday and I cant wait!

For those that have hit both, is the standard xr16 that much more forgiving than the pro version? Also, considerably less spin, or just marginal difference?

I tried to like last year's XR driver, but it just didn't work out well for me. The XR 16 is far and away a better driver for me. It is neck and neck with the M1 performance wise and is a bit more forgiving. imo

For those that have hit both, is the standard xr16 that much more forgiving than the pro version? Also, considerably less spin, or just marginal difference?

I tried both today for a bit. I had spin about 1000 less rpm with the pro head. The pro shaft was much better for my swing with both heads. Will try again after the season starts and I get a few rounds in.

Last edited:
Took my new XR16 out for its debut today. Overall had a pretty good day driving the ball. Think I missed 2 fairways (1 was my first swing of the day off #1) and hit all the rest. The 2 that I missed were bad swings and certainly not the clubs fault. I'm definitely hitting this one a little higher than the GBB so getting a little better carry. No idea on total distance since the courses around here are so wet right now we are getting 0 roll. My guess is they will be very similar total distance wise since the GBB was a great driver as well. Where I prefer the XR16 compared to the GBB is that for me, and my swing, I get less draw bias with the XR, so I can swing a little harder without fear of turning it over too much. I also like how it sets up to the ball a little better, the toe is not as high to my eye. Club is also very forgiving, similar to the GBB in that regard.

Very pleased with the purchase and excited to see how it does when we get to more normal golf conditions here in MI. Will be sure to chime in after my next round.

I don't know why I'm doing this to myself.....what kind of difference would I see over the GBB?

Placed an order for one of these guys last night, with an assist from my Gauntlet captain.

10.5* (will probably play it -1 based on my fitting), Fubuki ZT, playing at 45".

Ball speed wise, this thing was better than anything else I saw in my fitting.

Placed an order for one of these guys last night, with an assist from my Gauntlet captain.

10.5* (will probably play it -1 based on my fitting), Fubuki ZT, playing at 45".

Ball speed wise, this thing was better than anything else I saw in my fitting.

That is something we continue to see across the board. Ball speed. It bested nearly everything we had golfers test it against on a launch monitor.

That is something we continue to see across the board. Ball speed. It bested nearly everything we had golfers test it against on a launch monitor.

It was really impressive. Especially compared to my 2014 Big Bertha, which I consider a pretty forgiving head. Slight mishits were 10-15 yards longer with the XR16.

I watch one of my buddies keep up with me and bomb it past me on the last with this club. It was truly impressive to see his new found distance. But his missed were just as big. Now I know that's a swing issue but the distance loss was like night and day. Still I think the good out weighs the bad with this club

I certainly saw this while at UST, I saw 6mph increased ballspeed against my gamer at the time. I also saw my smash factor increase from 1.42 to 1.5!!! This head is hot.

That being said, I am still working to find the sweetspot consistently. My old gamer really rewarded you when you found the sweetspot, whereas this one sounds and feels the same across the face (which is probably a testament to how forgiving the head is...)

The ball-speed talk on this one continues to make me eager to hit it.

This and the JGR have my utmost attention at ClubClash.

I'm really hoping the pro shop has a demo head I can test on the UST He shaft.

Breaking this bad boy out for a scramble today. Gonna really go after it and see what she's made of.

This one's on my short list for Club Clash as well.

Mine just turned up today and as is the way, it is raining. Anyway, this thing feels really light to swing. Much much much lighter than my m2 (this is just a feel thing, if I had scales I'd weigh the heads) but the lightness has me thinking I may have bought a fake. If it is, it's a damn good one but I guess the proof will be in the hitting.

It's just ridiculous what my drives look like right now.

Back