Got fitted today!

ketron10a

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Decided to say F it and go find the right irons for me. I’ve been playing F7 OL for the past year and decided maybe the experiment is over. Traveling and had some free time. Found a place here in Baltimore area (not CC). Went down and spoke with the club guru at the location. He looked at my irons. Asked me about misses, scoring, etc. We discussed any brand preferences (which I don’t have) and what I might be looking to spend (<$1500 was what I was “authorized” for).

Went outside on the range. He set up the trackman system and I Warmed up with my clubs and then proceeded to try 7 different club brands:

Titleist AP2/3 not sure which
Cobra Forged-Tec black
TM P790
Srixon Z585
Ping (not sure which)
Mizuno JPX 919 Forged
Callaway Apex Pro Forged

The P790s were the first to be hit I was SUPER IMPRESSED with this iron. We had to adjust the shaft and quickly learned that I need a heavier shaft. In all irons tested light shafts immediately showed issues. This iron ended up in my top 3.

The Callaways were next followed by the Titleist. Both were meh. I could not agree with either irons. Back burner for the list. Solid clubs. Just something when I hit them wasn’t working for me.

Cobra Forged Tec was next. Immediately became my favorite. Black looks so sexy behind the ball. I hit it clean too. Sounds good. Tried 2 shafts. The Black AmT white shaft was the winner. Excellent combination.

Then I hit the Mizuno. I have never played a mizuno club. I have always wanted to. This club ended up top 2. So sexy to look at. And the sound was wonderful. I was a little behind the ball all day and even behind the ball fat shots were all on target. Just 10yds short. I think more people should look at this club. Solid performance.

Ping and Srixon came next. I immediately didn’t like the Ping and I tried so hard to like the Srixon but just couldn’t when compared to other selections I hit. I had full intentions of a Srixon 585/785 set but it was not meant to be by the golf gods. Still believe people should try those clubs.

Finally with the Top 3:
701b7e049b2079b4bdbaa1fb988f26de.jpg

and with shafts for each I hit some balls. Taylormade quickly fell behind. And I came down to switching between. Mizuno and Cobra. Checked lie angles and made sure everything was all set which I Was good for both irons he had pulled out based on early interviews and old club inspection. (+2 upright). In the end I told him if either set was purchased I would be ok. I was hitting them both very good. Dispersion was great with both. Distances very similar. Sound great. Look behind the ball met my eye. Misses weren’t that bad (except when my super quick rotation duck hook showed up because I hit a few too many). My goal was to find a club that I could control distance and dispersion better. We were able to significantly reduce my side spin and as such I started hitting more straight and baby draws than my leaky fades.

End result?
e312edcd43a3da0f25f22b95f629a1f8.jpg

3452648968065aed8a8f4178742d9cb7.jpg

The black just looked so sexy behind the ball. And when I started to get tired from too many swings, the cobra responded better than the Mizuno to help my bad hits.

I think everyone needs to be able to do this. And should do this. Hit everything. Change shafts. I won’t ever box store irons again. Even knowing what I need now I still won’t buy anything without proper fitting. Changing shafts and lie angles made a huge difference. I look forward to my new irons arriving so I can get them out on the range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome post! Thanks for sharing your experience! Glad you found an iron that is going to work for you!

Awesome post! Thanks for sharing your experience! Glad you found an iron that is going to work for you!

Welcome. Those 2/3 place finishers are super sexy looking too. I didn’t mention that effectively. They look like exotic sports cars. Flowing lines. Ughhhh. But then the black. Murdered out irons.

And the Mizuno irons are really now slouch. If I opened a box in a week and found them I wouldn’t complain. I understand why he said the TMs were a best seller. They are really good too. And I got off the the TM fan boy kick several years ago. Never thought I’d ever even consider them again

Great post! A couple of comments.

Not everyone knows this, but especially with irons, the sweet spot is not in the same place model to model. Some a little closer to the heel. Others a little out toward the toe. Up and down the sweet spot may vary a groove or two. Think about the implications of this when trying out different irons.

Glad you got more swings in with the 'contenders' and focused on dispersion. At the end of the day, dispersion is the most important stat for irons. They are your scoring clubs. The ones you use to get close to the cup. This must be done AFTER they are adjusted for lie angle, swing weight, and optimized shaft.

There is just something special about the DBM finish. Nice choice,, plus you will love how durable that finsih is and it wont show bag marks.
Was he having you hit 6 or 7 irons?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

That is awesome!!! Sounds like you had a great experience

Thanks for sharing! It is such a blast to go through that process.

Thanks, and I did the same thing and changed from the Cobra OL to Wilson Forged C300's. It took a few rounds to get back used to altering my address going back to traditional length clubs. Everyone should get fitted to help make the most of their game.

There is just something special about the DBM finish. Nice choice,, plus you will love how durable that finsih is and it wont show bag marks.
Was he having you hit 6 or 7 irons?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I was hitting 7 irons. In my read up to what I might expect I know 6 irons are often used. Not sure why he didn’t have me use them. My underlying thoughts are that since I was coming out of a OL set where everything is a 7i it was easy to compare clubs. My OL 6i wouldn’t compare up against a non OL. Least that was my assumption.

Either way I felt satisfied with the end result. I think I made the solid choice based on real world flight views. I was also happy I was outside and could see real time ball flight. Sims and TrackMan are nice. And definitely can provide valuable information. But seeing the ball flight was nice.

Also. My late night check in pops up my main top three photo and I have to say once again man those Mizunos are just sexy looking!!!!

great post, I always bought off the rack in my younger days, then when i got fitted the first time, my games made significant jumps. How did you do with your budget "approval"?

Great post! It’s always good when you can find the irons that fit well for you, and being able to try everything is excellent. Congrats on the new sticks!

great post, I always bought off the rack in my younger days, then when i got fitted the first time, my games made significant jumps. How did you do with your budget "approval"?

Well under . Let’s say it still got the disappointing go ahead because it’s “more golf sh*t” but was still given the go ahead. I was out the door at $1000 shipped to my door.

Well under . Let’s say it still got the disappointing go ahead because it’s “more golf sh*t” but was still given the go ahead. I was out the door at $1000 shipped to my door.

Very well familiar with that. These days though with all the kids grown and gone, things are more lenient. Shannon also knows this is my passion and its good for my health since i walk when i play.....

Very well familiar with that. These days though with all the kids grown and gone, things are more lenient. Shannon also knows this is my passion and its good for my health since i walk when i play.....

I rejoined my local club and I’ll go back to walking this year. Push carts sat there a lot last year

I rejoined my local club and I’ll go back to walking this year. Push carts sat there a lot last year

my "push cart". It is full function remote. Throw a towel over my shoulder and walk with my coffee or Gatorade.

Attachments

• IMG_7936.JPG
    IMG_7936.JPG
    110.1 KB · Views: 2
my "push cart". It is full function remote. Throw a towel over my shoulder and walk with my coffee or Gatorade.

Some how I wanna chastise you for laziness. And then also I wanna be you

Some how I wanna chastise you for laziness. And then also I wanna be you

lol, go ahead, I'm in my 60's and this makes the walk so much more enjoyable....

Getting fitted makes a big difference over "off the rack" clubs. I hit my irons longer and more accurately than I did when I was younger. Some of it is technology, but a lot is just getting the right clubs.

That's great, glad you found the right clubs for you!

I'll never buy off the rack again, too important to be fit.

Nice! I haven’t found a graphite shaft that I can get along with in an iron, strange since I can play everything from an X to an R flex in steel with basically any weight and play them fine. R-flex the clubhead can tend to get ahead of me with longer irons and with x-flex the shorter irons I don’t feel much kick. Video evidence points to neither statement being true, but that’s what I feel.

Throw a graphite shaft in there and I can’t feel the clubhead. I’ve tried many times over. Despite video evidence showing that I should. So until I (hopefully) get old and can’t hit anything except graphite iron shafts, I’ll just stick with steel. Maybe I’ll get into one of these shaft-up things and Mr Le will educate me, but I just don’t feel right with graphite in irons.

Go write up!

Great info and experience. I have my first ever fitting scheduled at gtec tomorrow.....

Back