OGputtnfool

Reaction score
Handicap
Was thinking (I know... dangerous) about what the pros handicaps would be if they (A) cared enough to keep them and (B) had course ratings and slopes on all the tournament tees they play. Found a rating/slope of 76.2/148 for the tournament tees at ANGC and I intend on calculating a few for some top pros. I figure I'll start with the greatest ever (Tiger) and probably pick a few others that have played the same last 20 rounds as he has to see what they come out to.

Anyone care to fancy a guess as to what they'll come out to?

Many do carry handicaps and they can be looked up. Been several articles out there on the topic.

Take it for what it’s worth but I asked a Pro and this was the response. I thought they were double digit for sure.

6c9cc71abe938f6832bb580479e2a9a1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Take it for what it’s worth but I asked a Pro and this was the response. I thought they were double digit for sure.

6c9cc71abe938f6832bb580479e2a9a1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+8 is pretty high. I, too, would think there would be some approaching double digits. We'll see how it fleshes out when I get a chance to compile some numbers.

Many do carry handicaps and they can be looked up. Been several articles out there on the topic.

How recently. As much as these guys play, their handicaps could change dramatically and often.

This. Phil has an active one that I remember seeing as +6.

It was calculated that Tiger in his prime would of been +9 or so.

Some of the Euros occasionally do a weekly stableford and I've seen +5 to +6 on those cards.

Phil is currently a +6.3 right now. His brother Tim is a +2.3

How recently. As much as these guys play, their handicaps could change dramatically and often.
Go to ghin website there is a handicap lookup feature. Pick the state a pro lives in and type in last name. If you search Arizona and Rahm he is a +6.1 last rounds entered we're 3/19.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The average tour pro is +6.

The average tour pro is +6.
If Rahm is a +6.1, I find it hard to believe the average pro is a 6 since Rahm is far above the average pro.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

This has come up a lot over the years. +8 for the top players is generally given as the answer.

Was thinking (I know... dangerous) about what the pros handicaps would be if they (A) cared enough to keep them and (B) had course ratings and slopes on all the tournament tees they play. Found a rating/slope of 76.2/148 for the tournament tees at ANGC and I intend on calculating a few for some top pros. I figure I'll start with the greatest ever (Tiger) and probably pick a few others that have played the same last 20 rounds as he has to see what they come out to.

Anyone care to fancy a guess as to what they'll come out to?

I'm curious to see what they would be for all the guys playing today.

I can only imagine what the top boys would do to my home course.

8 par 4s that I’m positive they could drive (a few dog legs). A dogleg par 5 they could get close to, another par 5 that is maybe driver, 9iron/ wedge for them, longest par 3 maybe 5-6iron and a couple of short ones.
If they putted well (good greens) they would destroy the place. I’d love to watch it, although it might ruin the place for me !

I remember talking about this back when I was in high school in the early 1980’s and the consensus then was the top pros were a +6 or better.

In my experience plus index golfers even at the high school level don’t care what their handicap is and many record only a fraction of their scores. I often only recorded tournament rounds when I played in college as my practice rounds often consisted of playing multiple balls or working on a specific swing change, etc. Plus index players know the know the state of their game without looking at an GHIN.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There anti cap is where they really stand out.

Handicap is best 10 of 20 differential. Anticap is just worst 10 of 20 differential

Anti cap? Show Tiger at 6.1 based off his last 5 stroke play tourneys (Masters, Players, WGC, Genesis, Farmer's). Only one score adjusted for ESC in there (the quad on 17).

Tiger's anticap is 3.6... ridiculous.

I remember reading that in 2000 Tiger's handicap never dipped below +12 . Or something like that.

I remember reading that in 2000 Tiger's handicap never dipped below +12 . Or something like that.
+12? That's crazy talk. It's below that now. I'd like to see what it was in his prime, but I bet it never even approached +12. That's crazy good!

People do know that professional golfers play rounds outside of tournament play, right?

People do know that professional golfers play rounds outside of tournament play, right?
Say it ain't so!

+12? That's crazy talk. It's below that now. I'd like to see what it was in his prime, but I bet it never even approached +12. That's crazy good!

That's what the golf writer said. It was in Golf or Golf Digest. I'll see if I can find it. Maybe I have the number wrong, but Tiger in 2000 was insane.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

Back