c0ncept

SFT
Reaction score
Handicap
Life
So this has been posted a few times but as Tiger is in the final round of the masters I am curious if anyone has different opinions now.

About 2.5 years ago (I think) Nike quit the equipment business. Now you have Tiger "back" and Rory playing really well.

Was this a mistake? Should they think about getting back into it? Could they?

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

I think their shoes are fun, but they are horribly out of touch when it comes to golf apparel.

I'd rather them get that right first (starting strongly with less terrible materials) before even trying to get back into equipment.

I'd bet they are perfectly happy making fat margins on golf attire and shoes and don't miss all the headaches on the hardware side of the business.

I agree there apparel seems pretty questionable to me.

But I want to know is who is the person that signed all these guys back then. Think of the stable of players they would have if they still made equipment. Whoever was in charge of signing the players had a pretty impressive eye for talent, that or Nike was writing fat checks.

I think their shoes are fun, but they are horribly out of touch when it comes to golf apparel.

I'd rather them get that right first (starting strongly with less terrible materials) before even trying to get back into equipment.
Not a fan of mock necks and blade collars? I personally liked the blade collars but the shoes are a huge miss for me performance wise. I have a cheap spiked pair that is my backup but I tried one of their spikeless ones and really hurt my knee when I slipped while swinging.

I loved their clubs. Wedges were some of my favorites. Still play a covert hybrid.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

I think Nike did the right thing leaving the equipment business. It always seemed 2nd tier and not a priority for the brand.

I'm really disappointed with this year's apparel. They've returned to the days when only the tour pro can wear the swoosh on the polo and not the consumer. If I'm going to spend $75 - 85 it better look exactly like the one Tiger, Rory or Brooks is wearing on TV.

Also, they need to bring back the Lunar Control line. Those were very comfortable shoes and they had great colorways. Vapor react shoes are nice but just not the same.

Not a fan of mock necks and blade collars? I personally liked the blade collars but the shoes are a huge miss for me performance wise. I have a cheap spiked pair that is my backup but I tried one of their spikeless ones and really hurt my knee when I slipped while swinging.

I loved their clubs. Wedges were some of my favorites. Still play a covert hybrid.

No, I think all of their collar variations are stupid.

I also think their material is about as bad as it could get for performance. My head pro stocked a few pairs of their pants a couple years ago purely to compare them when selling adidas ultimate pants lmao.

If I were CEO I would still be very comfortable with the decision.

Never like Nike clothes or shoes, too tight on me. Never cared for their golf equipment, either.

Nike Golf has been worn by 5 straight major winners.

Back