Swapping out shafts

Agree FK. It seems the onset of tech data has clouded the decision making process. For people like me it's more of a case I don't really understand how it all works together. But I know what I like to see.

Agree FK. It seems the onset of tech data has clouded the decision making process. For people like me it's more of a case I don't really understand how it all works together. But I know what I like to see.

It only clouds the process if you let it.
Just get into a THP Shaft Event and the rest will take care of itself.

- To me, chasing different shaft combos is many times used as a silver bullet to try and fix a root cause - ie a swing flaw or inconsistent swings.
- If your swing is inconsistent, effort seems better spent at developing more consistency.
- I am not saying fitting is not valuable, because I think all skill levels can benefit from fitting.
- I agree with those who mentioned outdoor fittings > indoor fittings.
- Agree with those saying focusing on feel can be just as helpful as getting lost in all the numbers.

In my recent fittings, we used my driver and 7 iron swing speeds to pick flex (Stiff), then tinkered with different combos of weight, torque, and balance point. For the irons, moving to a heavier weight seemed to be the largest factor. For driver, higher torque was most beneficial and optimizing launch angle and spin. My prior driver was a little high on launch and spin and I didn't get much roll-out.

For driver, higher torque was most beneficial and optimizing launch angle and spin.

This is really interesting to me.

I love the feel and ball flight of the HZRDUS Black 6.0 if that means anything.

Kind of answers your question doesn't it?
Sure you could tweak it a bit if you want but stop while you are ahead.

When I did it, the fitter put me in the Mizuno shaft optimizer. But we narrowed it down to two shafts and then taking feel into account I picked the one that felt the best from there.

I definitely think that it's a combination of feel and data to maximize game and sometimes paralysis by analysis can occur.

Fitting IS the best answer here. Outside of that, you'll just be guessing based on what you think will work for you swing and ball flight you typically see.

Kind of answers your question doesn't it?
Sure you could tweak it a bit if you want but stop while you are ahead.
Sure it tells me that shaft works in my driver, but what if I'm shopping for a hybrid shaft? Then what?

I'm with everyone that says a "fitting" is key.what happens when a person wants to tinker? Or if they're looking to upgrade just a shaft?

While I really enjoy experimenting with equipment, including shafts, the single best thing I ever paid for, equipment-wise, was a detailed fitting. Found club heads that worked well, and then narrowed it down to a small number of shafts that seemed to work well for me, then made it down to a single shaft. There was no guesswork involved, and when I saw the numbers, and the flight characteristics, their was no way for me to wonder which way to go.

Sure it tells me that shaft works in my driver, but what if I'm shopping for a hybrid shaft? Then what?

I'm with everyone that says a "fitting" is key.what happens when a person wants to tinker? Or if they're looking to upgrade just a shaft?

I'm tinkering all the time. I just ordered two more shafts to "fool around" with for my Titleist driver. What I look for are the same type of specs in fairways, hybrids, etc that are in the driver shaft. Like torque, Bend or Kick Point, launch, weight, etc. Once you have established your "base" numbers and the ball flight you are looking for, you really can weed out a lot of shafts and stick with the shafts that specific to your needs. For instance, you wouldn't want one with a High torqued shaft, with your club head speed you would lose control, especially in the larger club heads these days. (stick with low to mid #'s) Once you like the ball flight ... stick with that kick point (high = hits the ball lower ... low = hits the ball high) Conversely, if you WANT to hit the ball higher, say for a Hybrid, pick the shaft with a lower kick point. That's why manufacturers have different specs for the same shaft.
I have the same Aldila Rogue shaft in my fairway that is in my driver, so I get the same feel and desired trajectory that I like (low spin & high launch). At one time, I had the exact same shaft in the driver & all the fairways .... UST Proforce. It's all personal preference.

Just my .02 worth. I'm always tinkering ... you should see my basement. My wife thinks I have a problem. Maybe I do but hey ... It beats other more expensive hobbies.

I go by my 7i swing speed which is around 95. That would usually mean X for my irons but most of the X shafts are just too heavy for my comfort so ill look for a heavier Stiff flex. Thats how i ended up with the Project X 6.0's in my irons. For fairway woods/hybrids, there are lighter options in X so thats what i go with
Have you tried hard stepping a lighter stiff iron shaft?

I love to tinker as well. Going to take my old stock stiff SLDR shaft and tip it 1 1/4 inches as soon as I get a hold of a few TM loft sleeves

Back