Callaway XR16 Driver Review Thread

Just out of curiosity, it appears...at least to me...that this driver has been getting more love than the GBB since release. Why is that exactly?

The distance and forgiveness on off center hits is great. Hit with center contact and the ball just takes off but for me, what I don't lose on mishits is where this club shines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The distance and forgiveness on off center hits is great. Hit with center contact and the ball just takes off but for me, what I don't lose on mishits is where this club shines.

I agree. For whatever the reason the club head just seems to stay more online and square for me in the impact zone. My side spin is way less allowing for a more straighter drive.

Just out of curiosity, it appears...at least to me...that this driver has been getting more love than the GBB since release. Why is that exactly?

Because it's a much better driver!!!!!

I jest, but for me I love everything about this club. From the looks at address with the mat black crown which is awesome, to the sound at Impact which is superb, to the ball flight I get, which is unlike no other driver I've ever hit, to the confidence this club inspires in me, which right now, is loads.

I think the answer is threefold.
#1 - Its newer
#2 - Cost
#3 Boeing tie in

They are both great drivers. I still think I prefer the GBB overall, but they are both solid.

I have yet to try this or the GBB, but I love what I'm hearing about the XR16 particularly. Now that the courses and ranges are all starting to open around here I cannot wait to get my hands on some of the new drivers this year.

Agree with many of the points JB just posted above. However for me, it is just a better fit. Slightly higher launch and looks better to my eye, and am getting more carry and a little more ballspeed. I had been on the fence, and just had a really good round with the GBB last weekend, so had not pulled the trigger. Went and hit the XR again today, but put my white tie from my GBB in it, and oh my. I can no longer resist. Ordering the XR today with the white tie.

I had just a horrible swing on Sunday and still only missed 2 fairways. This thing is unreal on great swings (aren't they all) but where it really shines is on the off-center skanky swings. I know that if I had made the same swings w my Cobra FlyZ+or even 915D2 several would have been completely unplayable! Really enjoy this driver!!!

What do you guys think of the sound off the XR16? I have some hot glue in the toe of mine and think it's made it more muted and less pingy. I've really forgotten what the sound of the driver was before it was altered.

You guys good with the sound feedback?

What do you guys think of the sound off the XR16? I have some hot glue in the toe of mine and think it's made it more muted and less pingy. I've really forgotten what the sound of the driver was before it was altered.

Having just hit it. I really like the sound. Maybe a touch louder (but in a good way) than the GBB to my ear. I think Callaway makes the best sounding drivers by a mile though so I might be biased.

It's the new kid and is getting press. I still think the GBB leads the class.

You have what between your toes?

I wish mine was hotmelted. Sound is good but I prefer a little more muted

It's the new kid and is getting press. I still think the GBB leads the class.

And here I thought it was because I'm playing the driver now. No?!?

I wish mine was hotmelted. Sound is good but I prefer a little more muted

I bet you could send that off to Danny and have him put some of his personal touches inside that driver head! Or send it to me and I'll take it over to him! :D

i think the sound is great. One reason I always loved my 905R (only driver I want get rid of). Did not care for the 915D2 sound at all. No pingy or tinny feel w the callaway. Just a solid thwack!

This is in the bag for today's round and I am looking forward to seeing how it fares. The last few times out, it has been fantastic for me, but I hadnt made the move completely. Today if it goes well, it goes in the bag for the season.
I was wondering how close you were to making the move. I've been enjoying it too, but I don't lean either way at this time. My launch monitor data showed that they averaged out about the same for me on most data points.

I agree with JB's answers below. I think the GBB definitely got this much love or more in the same amount of time that it was out when it was first new.

I think the answer is threefold.
#1 - Its newer
#2 - Cost
#3 Boeing tie in

They are both great drivers. I still think I prefer the GBB overall, but they are both solid.
The airplane people? :alien:

The sound is definitely different from the GBB, but I like the sound of both of them. Nothing harsh or off-putting to me.

And here I thought it was because I'm playing the driver now. No?!?
Well, that does explain 35% of the current popularity but not all of it. Post a video of you hitting it in pink Adidas shorts with your powerful knees fully freed (#FreeTheKnee), and you could probably claim 70% by the end of the month. :fingers-crossed:

Well, that does explain 35% of the current popularity but not all of it. Post a video of you hitting it in pink Adidas shorts with your powerful knees fully freed (#FreeTheKnee), and you could probably claim 70% by the end of the month. :fingers-crossed:

No kidding, and Danny was making fun of me and now it's another OEM's marketing shtick! WTH! #Trendsetter

This is in the bag for today's round and I am looking forward to seeing how it fares. The last few times out, it has been fantastic for me, but I hadnt made the move completely. Today if it goes well, it goes in the bag for the season.

How did it go yesterday?

Pretty certain the XR16 beat out the M2 after the past few rounds, it simply comes down to forgiveness. The XR16 hides the toe and heel miss much better. On center strikes I feel both clubs are equal but I don't hit it in the center every time. Looks wise I much prefer the M2, just love the head design, coupled with a sound that is legendary TM but it doesn't make sense to penalize yourself over things that don't put your ball in the fairway.

Watching this Dell Match Play event and saw a commercial for this and was intrigued by the Boeing tie in as well as the promised forgiveness.

Now to read through all 16 pages of this thread to see if THPers agree with the marketing folks.

The xr16 line is a home run! The xr16 will appeal to people who gravitate toward GBB. I believe in my testing the xr16 launches a bit higher and the head is slightly lighter. The forgiveness across the face is amazing. The shape preference and the adjustability will be the difference maker when people are choosing I believe. Xr16 had a bit more evenly rounded out shape, and GBB has a beefier toe look. GBB gives that bit extra adjustability with APW

I've still yet to hit this. I had a lot of luck with the XR so I'm wondering how this will compare to my M2.

ClubClash will finally let me hit this one, it and the JGR are getting a workout.

Most forgiving driver face that keeps the distance I've hit. Such a winner.

Back