Canadan

LGND
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
LPGA put up this pic today;

Cemp9OxWwAEaSJo.jpg:large

Worth a conversation or just another silly stat?

Silly stat. There is no denying Lydia's dominance and success at such a young age but comparing the PGA and LPGA only diminishes what the LPGA has done over the last few years.

Silly stat. There is no denying Lydia's dominance and success at such a young age but comparing the PGA and LPGA only diminishes what the LPGA has done over the last few years.

You see it as a tour v tour comparison? I looked at it very much as an individual stat.

You see it as a tour v tour comparison? I looked at it very much as an individual stat.

It's both. Tigers ability to hit 11 wins on the PGA Tour is a more impressive stat then Lydia hitting it on the LPGA. There was and still is more parity on the PGA Tour.

The fact that an 18 year old can dominate a tour speaks to the difficulty of hitting the mark.

Silly stat. Tiger went to college a couple of years. He could have won on tour right out of high school, and most likely, while still in high school.

Very impressive record for LK but she's still not the transcendent athlete TW was.

Silly stat. Tiger went to college a couple of years. He could have won on tour right out of high school, and most likely, while still in high school.

That to me is the argument of why it's silly. If tiger would have started earlier, he would have won earlier. While I agree there is more parity on the PGA tour, I don't think winning 11 times on the LPGA tour by the time you're 18 is any what less impressive.

No offense to anyone but imo there is absolutely NO comparison between Tiger and Lydia .... Lydia is a great player and considering the Korean talent on the LPGA she is a dominant player but .. there is a difference in courses , the players she competes against .. i dont believe it is fair to Lydia to put her into compatision against Tiger ...

Before anyone compares the two .. i want to see Lydia play courses 7500 or more yards with narrow fairways and 4 to 6 inches of rough and see what she scores and on the other hand .... you put Tiger in his prime on any courses the ladies tour plays on .. i have no doubt he would destroy them ....

It is almost trying to compare Tiger against Jack , Arnold , Lee Trevino ..ect it is VERY difficult ... different courses , golfball , equipment , fitness .. it's next to impoosible to compare and that goes the same trying to compare Tiger against Lydia again next to impossible ...

LPGA put up this pic today;

Cemp9OxWwAEaSJo.jpg:large

Worth a conversation or just another silly stat?

The LPGA has forgotten to add Tiger's 3 comsecutive USGA titles which at one time where considered majors and a NCAA champion and a number of NCAA event wins ... comparing the two is a joke and impossible to do and is really unfair to both players

The LPGA has forgotten to add Tiger's 3 comsecutive USGA titles which at one time where considered majors and a NCAA champion and a number of NCAA event wins ... comparing the two is a joke and impossible to do and is really unfair to both players
In defense of the LPGA they did not list Lydia's US Am win or her 5 other professional wins. They only compared wins on the LPGA and PGA.

I agree impossible to compare and a silly agruement but what Lydia has done is impressive. 16 professional wins worldwide, 1 major, 1 US Am before her 19th birthday. The young lady can play.

Silly stat, very silly stat. She is a solid player but she is no TW. Hell TW can even live up to Tiger.

No comparison for me. When she starts winning majors by double digits then maybe we can have a conversation and when she causes the LPGA tour purses to increase to crazy high numbers

No offense to anyone but imo there is absolutely NO comparison between Tiger and Lydia .... Lydia is a great player and considering the Korean talent on the LPGA she is a dominant player but .. there is a difference in courses , the players she competes against .. i dont believe it is fair to Lydia to put her into compatision against Tiger ...

Before anyone compares the two .. i want to see Lydia play courses 7500 or more yards with narrow fairways and 4 to 6 inches of rough and see what she scores and on the other hand .... you put Tiger in his prime on any courses the ladies tour plays on .. i have no doubt he would destroy them ....

It is almost trying to compare Tiger against Jack , Arnold , Lee Trevino ..ect it is VERY difficult ... different courses , golfball , equipment , fitness .. it's next to impoosible to compare and that goes the same trying to compare Tiger against Lydia again next to impossible ...

But all of the tour would be playing the same course, and Lydia is still beating them.
Its two genders and there is obviously a size difference, so I am not sure why course length comes into the equation.

Im not a huge fan of the stat, but only because of the age they both started playing is so very different.

It's a silly stat. As has been mentioned tiger didn't start on tour until after college, Lydia started when she was 16.

If you include her amateur starts in majors Lydia is 1/15 iirc and her major is at Evian which just became a major two years ago.

Tiger is the most dominant player probably ever. Lydia is having good success on her tour that is filled with some good players. Let's see if she reaches Annika numbers or even does what Ochoa did

Wouldn't this be more of a reflection on the score to par than beating the entire field in their respective tours?

Why would the comparison be necessary. Both great golfers and both have dominated their sport. This is just the LPGA trying to gain some publicity, yes???

This is the first time I have ever seen Smalls post something somewhat positive about Tiger. Haha.

Yeah this is a silly stat because it doesn't take into account what has already been mentioned in previous posts (Tiger going to college for two years, etc). Good on Lydia though. She's seriously kicking a$$ out there!

I'm not going to say it's a silly stat, because she has proven herself. Her play has been pretty spectacular and wracking up the wins like that is more than impressive. That being said, she was granted full time membership at the age of 16, giving her a good head start on Mr. Woods.

That about says it all.

I'm not sure it's a silly stat, but more of an apples to oranges comparison. Sure they both dominated their respective leagues at an early age, but that's where it ends IMO. TW & his accomplishments transcended golf and grew the game in a way not seen since Arnold Palmer. Ko brings attention to the LPGA, but doesnt have the same impact.

You can't compare women to men for too many reasons. Lydia IS a great player on the LPGA. Tiger WAS a great player in his day just like the many others before him. Why the media keeps comparing all the golfers to Tiger is just wrong. They need to keep their comparisons to within their own tours.

You can't compare women to men for too many reasons. Lydia IS a great player on the LPGA. Tiger WAS a great player in his day just like the many others before him. Why the media keeps comparing all the golfers to Tiger is just wrong. They need to keep their comparisons to within their own tours.

Is there another golfer available for comparison that would have as much of an emotional impact as Tiger does? This thread would argue no.

I bet people knowing Tiger Woods to people knowing Sam Snead in the regular every day world is like... 6:1

I'm not sure it's a silly stat, but more of an apples to oranges comparison. Sure they both dominated their respective leagues at an early age, but that's where it ends IMO. TW & his accomplishments transcended golf and grew the game in a way not seen since Arnold Palmer. Ko brings attention to the LPGA, but doesnt have the same impact.

You could make the case that the same has happened since Ko. They have added more tournaments and basically saved the tour from complete disaster since she started her run. That is not to take away from Tiger Woods accomplishments, he came to a pretty healthy tour and brought it to new levels.

But I think its hard to dismiss what has happened on the LPGA the last 2 years.

You could make the case that the same has happened since Ko. They have added more tournaments and basically saved the tour from complete disaster since she started her run. That is not to take away from Tiger Woods accomplishments, he came to a pretty healthy tour and brought it to new levels.

But I think its hard to dismiss what has happened on the LPGA the last 2 years.

She has had a positive impact on the LPGA, but I just chalked it up to the recent LPGA rise in popularity to Aisa growth (S. Korea), stronger young players, Recent Solheim Cup results, & Lydia playing well.

I know you say the PGA Tour was healthy prior to Tiger, but didn't his run and performances dramatically increase tournament purses? I'd be curious to see how Ko's run might have impacted LPGA purses similarly.

Back