Talk Me Into Some Irons

Space Bandito

Baguette
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
2 Children
I keep telling myself that 2019 will bring an entirely new bag (save for putter,) but I have no idea in which direction I want to head.

I've narrowed the driver down to 2-3 clubs, but aside from that I haven't a clue.

What I want to focus on right now is irons. Not knowing at all what I want, I want you to tell me what you think I should get based on the following criteria, then tell me why.

What I like in an iron:

Players profile
Slim top line
Very little to no offset
Standard lofts

Have something you love that doesn't fit this? Tell me anyway! I can't go out and try EVERYTHING, so I want to compile a list if absolute must trys.

*No need for them to be 2019 models either. I'm open to everything.

Thanks in advance. Looking forward to this discussion.

Posted by my thumbs.

Apex Pro 19.

Ben Hogan PTx...on sale right now $600! The PTx Pros have a thicker top line but are $770.

Cobra King Forged Pro CB irons will meet all your needs, while still having a decent amount of help.

I keep telling myself that 2019 will bring an entirely new bag (save for putter,) but I have no idea in which direction I want to head.

I've narrowed the driver down to 2-3 clubs, but aside from that I haven't a clue.

What I want to focus on right now is irons. Not knowing at all what I want, I want you to tell me what you think I should get based on the following criteria, then tell me why.

What I like in an iron:

Players profile
Slim top line
Very little to no offset
Standard lofts

Have something you love that doesn't fit this? Tell me anyway! I can't go out and try EVERYTHING, so I want to compile a list if absolute must trys.

*No need for them to be 2019 models either. I'm open to everything.

Thanks in advance. Looking forward to this discussion.

Posted by my thumbs.

what's your definition of "standard lofts"?

Mizuno MP-18 SC and MMC
Titleist 718 AP2

You could start off with the Titleist AP2 and work around that as a comparison.

Srixon z785

Srixon Z785 is another option.....tons of great irons.

JPX 919 Tour, nice players iron with a little more help when compared to a MB.
Cobra Forged Tec Black, has had great reviews here.
TaylorMade P760, nice players iron with a little more help.
Mizuno 919 HM Pro, The lofts are a little jacked but decent top line and little offset. My personal pick.

Are you buying online or will you go get fit at a shop and just need ideas of what to try?

... Other than loft, which just about every players irons have "jacked" to some degree, the Cobra Forged Tours fit your description. I have played the Amp Forged, Fly Z+ and now Forged Tours. I have played many other irons since the original Amp Forged but always come back to this iron. Great feel for multi material, thinnest top line compared to others in this category and great trajectory control. Fwiw, I played the original AP2's and really liked them but switched to the AF'ed and liked them better in every way.

What are you playing right now?

Talk Me Into Some Irons

I understand how you feel. There are just so many choices it’s hard to pick just one.
I’ve been pondering irons for few months so
I may be tad bias since I play Z765. Best feeling club I’ve ever had.

1. Srixon Z785 or Z Forged or combo
2. Mizuno MP 18SC and MB combo
3. Honma TW737v

Lastly Mizuno HM Pro. My last stop for GI irons. Feel and look is not there but can’t argue with results.

Located in LA and playing in mostly dried hard fairways. I am shopping for narrower sole club. Hopefully that would help me to have better strikes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Srixon lineup from 585, 785, Z forged are all awesome.

Cobra FTB, F9 irons are sweet as well. Game improvement FTB, F9, and Srixon 585 are the way to go.

More of a players iron Z785 and Z forged have more classic look and feel to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apex 19 Pros. Trust me.

No love for the Wilson V6?

Apex MB / Srixon Z785 / JPX 919 Tour All seem to fit your description.

Probably one of the Mizuno or Srixon lines.

If you are/were MIL or First Responder than PXG 0311T or 0311P.

Thanks for the input so far. Still not a lot of info as to why you guys think I might like the irons suggested.

Apex Pro Combo or Srixon mixed bag.... something for everyone within the two sets

Back