WGC-Dell Match Play Thread (Spoilers)

Sort of hard not to, right?

My college roommate (plus wife and kids) live in Round Rock. He's a physical therapy Doctor, only down side is, he don't golf...but I wonder if he knows someone who could get me on there? hummmmmmm

I have him play Rory in my dream match up final. LOL. They will both probably be out by the final 8. Oh well, I can wish.

I have him play Rory in my dream match up final. LOL. They will both probably be out by the final 8. Oh well, I can wish.

It'd be pretty funny if Justin Thomas wins this thing.

I originally had him facing Day, but thought 1 v 2 was too perfect. Ended up changing my bracket to JS vs Rose.

Match play week is always interesting for Fantasy picks.

If he'd stop hitting drivers off the deck in tournaments he might just find himself back in the hunt again. :D

Easy shot if you are playing lift clean and place and your ball is a foot in front of your pitch mark, otherwise not so much. Was a very entertaining attempt though.

I think Ricky is ready! Time will tell!

Entered in bracket challenge. And just like the NCAA's I will be toast day one.

Entered in bracket challenge. And just like the NCAA's I will be toast day one.

Fortunately, it's not really possible to be out after day one where the first round is round robin.

I'm just trying to make myself feel better, but honestly, this answer does.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I'm almost tempted to go with both Willett and Koepka, even in the same group. Willett has been on fire and proved himself in last year's WGC Match Play. Koepka can make birdies in bunches and his occasional 7 will only cost him a hole instead on three strokes. He's gotta be eyeing a Ryder Cup spot and this is the ideal place to show off. I think either one of them have a real shot. That being said, they'll probably both lose, along with Billy Ho, to Jaco Van Zyl, since I think they've got a shot.

Glad I am not the only one having issues with that group

lineup set, actually looked at the bracket this time lol

I agree with Feinstein about how much I dislike the round robin instead of single elimination. I understand they are catering to the fans and ratings, but I prefer the upset at stake, rather than "Oh you lose, here are a couple of more chances".

I agree with Feinstein about how much I dislike the round robin instead of single elimination. I understand they are catering to the fans and ratings, but I prefer the upset at stake, rather than "Oh you lose, here are a couple of more chances".

It's a format that used in the biggest tournament in the world! How could it be wrong! I actually don't mind it esp. if I was going out to the event only to find that the 3 guys I wanted to watch were eliminated at 2pm Wednesday afternoon.

When did PGA start charging a fee to watch golf online? Is that new this year? I know I have watched some bigger tourneys online for free before.

When did PGA start charging a fee to watch golf online? Is that new this year? I know I have watched some bigger tourneys online for free before.

I think last year. I'm actually thinking about doing it today so I can watch some of the action. I think NBC takes over tomorrow so can watch that from the app.

It's a format that used in the biggest tournament in the world! How could it be wrong! I actually don't mind it esp. if I was going out to the event only to find that the 3 guys I wanted to watch were eliminated at 2pm Wednesday afternoon.

Its done for the fans, I get that, I just dont like it.
Could you imagine in the NCAA tournament, #1 seed goes down in the first round and then "Wait Wait Wait, they have a couple of more chances".

Could you imagine in the NCAA tournament, #1 seed goes down in the first round and then "Wait Wait Wait, they have a couple of more chances".

I bet Michigan State would be a-okay with that this year...

No I couldn't, would be awful. But for the most part the number 1's and 2's still come out for the final 4, so it works for them. I know that NBC is just trying to avoid a number 55 vs 62 final on Sunday. And selfishly, I would want to see a Day vs Rose or Spieth vs Rory final come Sunday too!

Is there anywhere to watch the morning groups where I don't have to pay? Anyway know of a place, link?

Single elimination made for a better first day, but the rest of the days could suffer. The Volvo Match Play event on the European Tour, which has been around longer than the WGC Match Play, has had the round robin format for a while and it works over there. For the spectators at the event, it's also an easier sell knowing that all of the big stars will be around for at least 3 days, it probably sells more tickets that way.

Of course, if they wanted the best players in it for the weekend, they could go to a hybrid system: 3 rounds of stroke play Wednesday-Friday, then take the top 16 players and put them in match play over the weekend. Stroke play leading into match play is how tournaments like the US Amateur are conducted. But then again, I like seeing more match play since every other week of the year is stroke play.

Single elimination made for a better first day, but the rest of the days could suffer. The Volvo Match Play event on the European Tour, which has been around longer than the WGC Match Play, has had the round robin format for a while and it works over there. For the spectators at the event, it's also an easier sell knowing that all of the big stars will be around for at least 3 days, it probably sells more tickets that way.

It only suffers if people only care about the stars.
This is one event, where I think they have a chance to create new stars, but the game of golf is not as into doing that, as has been proven over and over again.

They might as well cater to them for every event then and eliminate a cut line.

Yeah the single elim is much more exciting in my opinion. This new format is a lot of golf.

dufner has his game on today...i think fowler might be in trouble

Back