When to get a new shaft??

SquirrelyDave

Allegedly....
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 22.7
After reading another thread this popped into my head.

When should I get a new shaft in my clubs? I'm not talking about winning one, or being handed a shaft to demo or try, and obviously if you break one it's time to get a new one. So what makes you go looking for a new shaft? Is it just when it's shiny new toy? Swing changes?

I was fit for my clubs several years ago, and any clubs I've replaced I just played the shaft that came with them. I did have one club re-shafted, it was gift, and I wanted a steel shaft in the club instead of the graphite (no good reason, just did it)

So what makes you go shaft shopping?

I like to tinker so if something new comes out that may help improve what I see on the course on my driver or woods and it's financially possible I will consider the swap. But in reality there is no need for me to swap since I have usually been fit for my clubs.

I usually see a write up on a new shaft and compare to what, I think, mine is doing. If I think it's better I may try it but I also get fitted for clubs so it's difficult to improve unless I change my swing. I love to tinker with new shafts though. If it's not to costly, I'll, sometimes, do it on a whim!!

So many good ones that have come out in the last 6 months. Project X and their HZRDUS line and UST Mamiya and their Elements line are some that have really made an impact so far this year.

I was just fitted in case I needed to make any changes to my current set-up....they recommended a higher launching shaft for my driver and I am going to make that change

Shaft shopping for me results if I don't like the feel or trajectory of my current shaft, or I hit something that feels amazing and gives me awesome results. Ultimately before I buy any shaft there is usually a fitting component involved to verify that I'm not missing out on something even better.

The times I've done it or pondered it I was in search of a solution to an alleged problem. Bringing my ball flight down with my 3w, for example.

So about what I expected from THPers, mostly tinkering, some trying to fix a specific issue.

The next question....When do you tell someone they should look at getting a new shaft? Let's assume a non-THP type personality. Someone that likes golf, regardless of skill level, but not a "golf nerd" as such. Not someone that is always tinkering, or thinking about new equipment, and someone that you would feel comfortable advising on purchases, so a friend or regular partner.

What do you look at and say (or think) "You need a different shaft"?

So about what I expected from THPers, mostly tinkering, some trying to fix a specific issue.

The next question....When do you tell someone they should look at getting a new shaft? Let's assume a non-THP type personality. Someone that likes golf, regardless of skill level, but not a "golf nerd" as such. Not someone that is always tinkering, or thinking about new equipment, and someone that you would feel comfortable advising on purchases, so a friend or regular partner.

What do you look at and say (or think) "You need a different shaft"?

not getting enough launch or see ballooning with their ball flight. Most if the guys I play with don't get fit and just buy clubs off the rack. So it has to be noticeable issues with ball flight.

I too, like to tinker with different shafts. For me, due to the nature of how good shafts are made now, swapping them out and trying something new is so easy. I do my research on the shaft I'm interested in and find the one that I feel will be suit my swing, then give it a go. If I can hit it with a launch monitor before hand, that's the best way to do it. If I have the time, I'll hit 5 to 10 shots (good ones) with my current gamer and write down spin, launch angle, carry and peak and average them out. Then, I'll put in the new one and do the same. Ultimately, feel is what I'm sold on as usually the numbers are pretty close to the same, in most cases.

Back