Air Force One AFX Pro Irons - THP Preview

Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
SOFTCAPPED
THP has a previous thread on the separation of Powerbilt and Air Force One from eachother and while it may not light up the radar in the eyes of the masses, it really was a rather significant deal given how long Powerbilt has been in golf. No matter that however, THP has just received in for review the new Air Force One brand irons, the AFX Pro's. These irons are much much different than a lot of what we are seeing on the market now as despite the use of Air Force One's "Nitrogen Charged" technology within the 3i and 4i, the set overall beyond that is a very straight forward undercut CB design with progressive offset throughout. Additionally, you will find no massive flash here as they feature a simple badging and branding paired with a clean brushed satin finish. Minimalist might be a good way to put it, but it was for a reason as AFO's goal with these is a smaller profiled iron that is affordable, mission accomplished as the price on these, 3-PW with Apollo Shadow Steel 105g shafts is only $399.00....that will catch some eyes.

Information from Air Force One:

3,4 NITROGEN CHARGED IRONS:
  • 2 Piece Hollow Core Construction
  • Nitrogen Charged
  • Edge to Edge Sweet Spot
  • Weightless Face Support
  • Nitrogen Pressurized Club Head
  • Progressive Offset
  • Thinner Top Line

5-PW CAVITY BACK IRONS:
  • Reduced Cavity Back
  • Thinner Top Line
  • Thinner Sole Widths
  • Progressive Offset
  • Optimum Trajectory
  • Optimum Workability
  • Maximum Scoring Capabilities

APOLLO SHADOW STEEL SHAFTS:
  • Apollo Shadow 105g Steel Shaft
  • Tour Performance
  • Ultimate Control & Trajectory

Specifications:
IRONLOFTLIELENGTHDESIGN
#318°60.5°39.5”HOLLOW
#421°60.5°38.5”HOLLOW
#524°60.5°38“CAVITY
#627°61°37.5“CAVITY
#731°61.5°37“CAVITY
#835°62°36.5“CAVITY
#940°62.5°36“CAVITY
PW45°63°35.5“CAVITY
SW55°64.5°35.5“CAVITY
AW50°64°35.5“CAVITY

In-Hand Images:

DSC_1109-XL.jpg

DSC_1110-XL.jpg

DSC_1092-XL.jpg

DSC_1091-XL.jpg

(Nitrogen Charged 3i/4i)
DSC_1087-XL.jpg

DSC_1089-XL.jpg

DSC_1090-XL.jpg

DSC_1093-XL.jpg

DSC_1094-XL.jpg

DSC_1097-XL.jpg

DSC_1096-XL.jpg

DSC_1114-XL.jpg

(Cavity Back 5i-PW)
DSC_1100-XL.jpg

DSC_1102-XL.jpg

DSC_1103-XL.jpg

DSC_1104-XL.jpg

DSC_1105-XL.jpg

DSC_1106-XL.jpg

DSC_1113-XL.jpg

(Nitrogen vs CB)

DSC_1117-XL.jpg

DSC_1108-XL.jpg

Last edited:
I just want to say those are outstanding photos.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I love the look of the top line on that CB

Those look pretty good, even the 4i doesn't have a super clunky look to it. Is there anything fancy about that Apollo shaft and why it works well with that head?

• Staff
Those look pretty good, even the 4i doesn't have a super clunky look to it. Is there anything fancy about that Apollo shaft and why it works well with that head?

Not particularly, the Shadow line from Apollo has been around a LONG time (late 80's IIRC?), for the kick-point nerds this one is a low KP shaft and it's meant to get the ball up in a hurry.

More interestingly for those who have never had any of the Shadow's in hand, the grip section is LONG (that parallel section) and the steps down lot toward the tip are many and small. Also, it is REALLY wide up top, I actually took a comparison hoping someone would ask (thanks Wardy!):

DSC_1098-XL.jpg

Biggest thing though? They're really affordable steel shafts that have been played and around a very long time.

The irons aren't super exciting to look at (to me) BUT it is fabulous seeing a company design a product that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. It would be great if these turn out to be solid performers.

I hope they are good performers and prove to be durable and high quality to make that price even more awesome!

great photos as usual, Jman!

If these are solid as far as playabitly, what a great entry level price point...

Personaly I dont particularly like the black cavity, thats just personal taste though.

Not particularly, the Shadow line from Apollo has been around a LONG time (late 80's IIRC?), for the kick-point nerds this one is a low KP shaft and it's meant to get the ball up in a hurry.

More interestingly for those who have never had any of the Shadow's in hand, the grip section is LONG (that parallel section) and the steps down lot toward the tip are many and small. Also, it is REALLY wide up top, I actually took a comparison hoping someone would ask (thanks Wardy!):

Biggest thing though? They're really affordable steel shafts that have been played and around a very long time.

It's a shaft company I've heard of thanks to Jim Furyk of all people, but know absolutely nothing about. The name definitely caught my eye when I saw the label in the original photos so I had to ask.

Great pics Jman! Interesting irons. I have had many a club with an Apollo shaft in it, in fact, the best persimmon driver I ever had an Apollo shaft in it.

Great pics JMan! Looking forward to hearing more of your thoughts on these.

Very classic look IMO.

I hope they stand up to the competition as well as their drivers do. Inexpensive doesn't have to mean low quality.

Will have these out and about today, I honestly have no idea what to expect.

Nitrogen charged sounds a bit corny but these look really good, that can't be denied.

Definitely looking forward to the thoughts!

Looks interesting. Great price! Your playing review should be really interesting Jman!!

James, do you have a picture of the toe for the nitrogen charged 3 and 4 irons? What is that bit that looks like it's carved out of the toe?

James, do you have a picture of the toe for the nitrogen charged 3 and 4 irons? What is that bit that looks like it's carved out of the toe?
Pic is in the OP. It's a nitrogen port.

Pic is in the OP. It's a nitrogen port.

Hmmm...I'm not seeing it either. At least not a photo of what the inside of the port looks like from exterior. I can see where a hole is cut into the toe but that's it.

Wrong pic double posted in the OP, I'll correct it when I get to work. Its been a stressful couple days of loss for me so I apologize.

Wrong pic double posted in the OP, I'll correct it when I get to work. Its been a stressful couple days of loss for me so I apologize.
No worries buddy. I hear you there.

Will have these out and about today, I honestly have no idea what to expect.

Given your description of the shafts plus the look of the heads I would guess you'll be flirting with 40 yard peak heights in some of the sticks.

They aren't a bad looking offering, especially for the price point.

Excellent photos, as always!

they actually look really good, or maybe your pics are just making them look better than they really are.

does the wide butt end of the shaft feel wide in your hands? i know there are some shafts that are bigger in the butt end that i just can't get used to because my hands fall on the club differently.

OP has been corrected with the pic of the port of the 4i, I'll put it here also:

DSC_1094-XL.jpg

Profile wise at address they remind me a lot of the Nickent 4DX Pro's, which is a good thing. Topline on the 5-PW is pretty freaking thin, even despite it being squared and not beveled.

I will say though, the finish, while I love the look of it in hand (I'm a satin fan) does concern me a bit from the practice swings I took out in the yard last night. But, we shall see how that translates to the course today before any conclusions are made. I'm eager to hear them and see the height more than anything, if the performance is even just​ solid overall, it could be a heck of a set and an astounding price point.

Profile wise at address they remind me a lot of the Nickent 4DX Pro's, which is a good thing. Topline on the 5-PW is pretty freaking thin, even despite it being squared and not beveled.

Whoa. So they are really a compact package? Interesting move by the company and excited to hear your thoughts.

Nice price point for someone looking for a set with what appears to be some pretty good forgiveness. But I'm not fan of the look at all.

Back