Barney Adams reply to a shaft fitting question!

Pkielwa

Reaction score
I contacted Barney Adams regarding getting fit for shafts based on a recommendation via PM sent to me from Hank Haney Radio on Twitter. I told Mr Adams I had a tough time getting fit for a driver shaft and asked for his recommendation of how to do this. Here was his response:
beee517eb92eaf598c063f222c39f45e.jpg

I can honestly say this is the first time I heard this, but it makes complete sense!!! Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I contacted Barney Adams regarding getting fit for shafts based on a recommendation via PM sent to me from Hank Haney Radio on Twitter. I told Mr Adams I had a tough time getting fit for a driver shaft and asked for his recommendation of how to do this. Here was his response:
beee517eb92eaf598c063f222c39f45e.jpg

I can honestly say this is the first time I heard this, but it makes complete sense!!! Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know the guy who fit me last subscribed to this theory. 3 balls per shaft unless 1 was a complete mishit.

At the Gauntlet last year Dnevs said that Callaway fitters used this approach for the pros they fit. Can definitely see that being true for guys with consistent swings.

Its something Hawk and I have said for a number of years.

On a Callaway podcast a while back Lefty talked about using a blinder, or special glasses that would prevent him from seeing the ball flight. This seems like the same thought process, just a slightly different methodology.

For the pros and lower handicap golfers I can see this working. For the average golfer, I think more than 2 swings is needed. At least 5 balls per shaft.

For the pros and lower handicap golfers I can see this working. For the average golfer, I think more than 2 swings is needed. At least 5 balls per shaft.

Is that because of inconsistencies in the swing?

Sent from the magic know everything box in my pocket

Is that because of inconsistencies in the swing?

That is exactly why. A great deal of golfer don't swing the club and tend to swing harder when testing. Those with a more consistent swing can get away with a lower number of swings because their swings are repeatable.

I wonder , at what level do you become consistent enough to use this method (2 balls) versus Freddie's (5-balls)??? I know it's not all about handicap but I don't know a better relative way to express the question. How would a fitter know?? Just watching the warm up swings??

That is exactly why. A great deal of golfer don't swing the club and tend to swing harder when testing. Those with a more consistent swing can get away with a lower number of swings because their swings are repeatable.

Follow up question, might a question for a fitter though: are we looking for an average of the numbers or the best numbers?

I would think its an average, but not really sure.

Follow up question, might a question for a fitter though: are we looking for an average of the numbers or the best numbers?

I would think its an average, but not really sure.

I would take 5 swings. Throw out the worst and best then average the remaining three. I feel you could do this and get through a good number of shaft to find the right one. A good fitter will be able to move you in the right direction based on the numbers and your feedback.

Club champion uses 6 hits per club.

I wonder , at what level do you become consistent enough to use this method (2 balls) versus Freddie's (5-balls)??? I know it's not all about handicap but I don't know a better relative way to express the question. How would a fitter know?? Just watching the warm up swings??

I think it is based on hdcp in many cases. I've played with high caps that have no clue where the ball is going, this is the only. And I've played with guy that are high caps that hit beautiful shots and their strokes all gather from 100 yards and in (not the norm)

If you miss both ways I would say you are not ready for two swings. Most low caps and pros know immediately if they like something. But there are exceptions to every rule but most will need more than two swings.

I would take 5 swings. Throw out the worst and best then average the remaining three. I feel you could do this and get through a good number of shaft to find the right one. A good fitter will be able to move you in the right direction based on the numbers and your feedback.

I think it is based on hdcp in many cases. I've played with high caps that have no clue where the ball is going, this is the only. And I've played with guy that are high caps that hit beautiful shots and their strokes all gather from 100 yards and in (not the norm)

If you miss both ways I would say you are not ready for two swings. Most low caps and pros know immediately if they like something. But there are exceptions to every rule but most will need more than two swings.

Thanks for the info Panda! Makes a lot of sense and I actually understood it, which is always a bonus!

Thanks for the info Panda! Makes a lot of sense and I actually understood it, which is always a bonus!

I'm glad it made sense to you cuz I blacked out and that was in the screen. Lol

Back