I wouldn't say GoPro is on the decline, necessarily, though they have leveled off, IMO. There's a certain ceiling to their product, and I would argue that it's been reached to some extent, but it's not like there isn't a GoPro camera stuck to every flat surface possible at sporting events all over the world every day.

I guess I don't see nearly as much overlap between a GoPro and an Osmo as others. To me, the Osmo's power is in the rig that's built into it, whereas GoPro's rugged construction and wide aspect ratio allows it to do things you simply wouldn't even bother attempting with something like an Osmo. I would imagine there are people who have been "making do" with a GoPro that would love to use the Osmo instead, but I don't expect to see one suction cupped to a surfboard.

I think this can still be accomplished, not to the extent of the GoPro, but one could press record and walk away or put it on one of the accessories.

We need the car mount for the Gauntlet. I want to do drive by videos :)

I wouldn't say GoPro is on the decline, necessarily, though they have leveled off, IMO. There's a certain ceiling to their product, and I would argue that it's been reached to some extent, but it's not like there isn't a GoPro camera stuck to every flat surface possible at sporting events all over the world every day.

I guess I don't see nearly as much overlap between a GoPro and an Osmo as others. To me, the Osmo's power is in the rig that's built into it, whereas GoPro's rugged construction and wide aspect ratio allows it to do things you simply wouldn't even bother attempting with something like an Osmo. I would imagine there are people who have been "making do" with a GoPro that would love to use the Osmo instead, but I don't expect to see one suction cupped to a surfboard.

GoPro is DEFINITELY on the decline. I mean their stock price in the last 12 months has gone from over $65 to about $10. They have not reached revenue goals, their products have been delayed and they missed completely with DJI on the last phantom products.

The overlap is that DJI products used GoPros for years. DJI provided the mechanical (drones, gimbals, etc) and GoPro the camera. Then GoPro announced their own drone, which they still havent delivered and DJI said "well, eff you" and included a killer camera in phantom 3 and now 4. Then came with the Osmo, which in some ways is future proof.

GoPro's ruggedness comes from exterior casing, which I am not sure cant be done here as well, if someone wanted to go that route. What people found is that extreme sports camera was less used for extreme across the board by the general consumer and instead produced really well done video, that suffered from fisheye.

Time will tell on the future, but unless they get their act together (and I am a Woodman fan), the decline continues as brands like DJI move full steam ahead and Nikon and Canon jump in.

This thing looks so awesome. Not sure I would have much of a use for it but it looks so awesome.

Yay. Mine will be here Wednesday.

Hah, really? Not on the decline? Their stocks have dropped like 75% and their Q4 missed expectations by nearly $250 million!

They released one new product in 2015, a watered down more basic Go Pro, the Go Pro Session.

As far as action cams go, I ditched my Go Pro and use the Garmin Virb, waterproof without a case and much much easier to use than the Go Pro.

I think this is much more useful than the average person than a Go Pro. I never understood the draw of the go pros for most. They were killer when I used to race mx and wake board, but for things like golf I just don't see it.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I think this is much more useful than the average person than a Go Pro. I never understood the draw of the go pros for most. They were killer when I used to race mx and wake board, but for things like golf I just don't see it.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I agree with you completely.
Im not sure either one is much needed, but at the same time stability is a huge piece of it for a lot of what is wanted in these cameras.
What GoPro missed on was the editing software. If they could have acquired a ridiculously easy to use post production software for quick hit videos, they could have been golden.

Instead they are competing on hardware only and eventually others catch up and pass. Which is what DJI did.

I agree with you completely.
Im not sure either one is much needed, but at the same time stability is a huge piece of it for a lot of what is wanted in these cameras.
What GoPro missed on was the editing software. If they could have acquired a ridiculously easy to use post production software for quick hit videos, they could have been golden.

Instead they are competing on hardware only and eventually others catch up and pass. Which is what DJI did.

Yours still set for Thursday delivery?

Yours still set for Thursday delivery?

Wednesday actually. Ordered from Amazon through Adorama. Pretty darn excited for it.
We need to mess around with it of course.

Wednesday actually. Ordered from Amazon through Adorama. Pretty darn excited for it.

Naturally. Can't wait to check it out

Hahaha i knew later this year didn't stand a chance

So this will be ready, locked and loaded for the Gauntlet!

Hey War Eagle

[video=youtube;-1svnecCTNQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1svnecCTNQ[/video]

Hey War Eagle

[video=youtube;-1svnecCTNQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1svnecCTNQ[/video]

That's cool for a cruise, or filming from a bike when filming is the main priority, but for any actual intense riding I think it's probably still too big for using as an action camera in most cases. Very very cool for other purposes those.

That's cool for a cruise, or filming from a bike when filming is the main priority, but for any actual intense riding I think it's probably still too big for using as an action camera in most cases. Very very cool for other purposes those.

You might be right. There are some killer accessories that may change that and of course the camera comes off as well. I think it would be cool to have this on the handle bars and the Drone above in Follow Me mode and then have two cameras capturing the same thing from different angles.

Of course I have the cameras, but biking sounds like a lot of work.

THIS....is what I need! Heading to Amazon now. lol

Should be arriving today says the tracking info. Pretty excited to get it to the course sometime.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts. I need a new device for video and still capture

Just watched the video on this camera. That thing is amazing.
Excited to see how this works for you JB. Looking forward to possibly seeing this paired with drone video coverage from THP events.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts. I need a new device for video and still capture

I thought you were a GoPro guy? Not liking them?

I thought you were a GoPro guy? Not liking them?

I do but they are becoming very much one dimensional and really are geared to a more action sport photo or capture. I get better pics with my iPhone when dealing with kids or everyday life.

This new camera seems more geared for the off action video but more for everyday.

I do but they are becoming very much one dimensional and really are geared to a more action sport photo or capture. I get better pics with my iPhone when dealing with kids or everyday life.

This new camera seems more geared for the off action video but more for everyday.

Tough one. The Gimbal is going to make it very good at stability, but larger to lug around for everybody life and kid photos. I mean at close to the same size (albeit heavier), one could carry a DSLR. Or go even smaller with mirrorless camera.

Tough one. The Gimbal is going to make it very good at stability, but larger to lug around for everybody life and kid photos. I mean at close to the same size (albeit heavier), one could carry a DSLR. Or go even smaller with mirrorless camera.

I thought it was smaller. Hmmmmmm, at that size I should just buy a high end camera. Like the ones we used use at the PGA show. Those were nice.

Back