TaylorMade M2 Driver Review Thread

I'm really intrigued by this club and think I'm going to go hit and see what the fuss is about. My big miss is on the toe and I'm curious to see how much I get penalized compared to when I had the SLDR.

Random question to play off JB's question about the advertising of this club...

As this club is offered and with more than 30+ no charge shaft options, what shafts are hot? What have you guys demo'd or what are you guys playing? Are there any shafts that just pair perfectly with this head, or are more popular than others?

Alternative. It lacks some of the adjustability of the M1 but hits a lower price point.

From what I understand it is designed to be at least somewhat more forgiving as well (deeper CG placement).

I'm really intrigued by this club and think I'm going to go hit and see what the fuss is about. My big miss is on the toe and I'm curious to see how much I get penalized compared to when I had the SLDR.

As I mentioned in my above post, the "miss" really isn't.
I hit one way out on the toe (maybe a full inch off) and half inch high- it turned into a high semi-long draw.
I lost just a little distance but it made me laugh out loud.
I knew it was a bad hit but a decent result.:clap:

And oh yea, I have a SLDR too, it won't come close on misses.

Question: Is the M2 designed to be an alternative to the M1 (e.g. Flyz, Flyz+), or a replacement?
This is an alternative to the M1. Keeping in the "M" line of clubs, however, less adjustability compared to the M1.

From what I understand it is designed to be at least somewhat more forgiving as well (deeper CG placement).
Taylormade says that M2 is designed to be both long and forgiving. They accomplish long with a light crown, improved aerodynamics and a redesigned speed slot. They accomplish forgiving with a deeper CG.

I did see increased ball speed vs M1 so something is working in that regard. The size of the sweet spot is a funny one because it's not a tiny sweet spot but one could argue it's not actually in the center of the face - it's closer to the toe. Or at least the forgiveness extends to the toe but not the heel.
Since putting the 10g weight in I'm actually seeing even better launch and noticeably more ball speed on misses heelside.

Taylormade says that M2 is designed to be both long and forgiving. They accomplish long with a light crown, improved aerodynamics and a redesigned speed slot. They accomplish forgiving with a deeper CG.

I did see increased ball speed vs M1 so something is working in that regard. The size of the sweet spot is a funny one because it's not a tiny sweet spot but one could argue it's not actually in the center of the face - it's closer to the toe. Or at least the forgiveness extends to the toe but not the heel.
Since putting the 10g weight in I'm actually seeing even better launch and noticeably more ball speed on misses heelside.
Sounds like it could be a perfect head for me if there's lots of toe side forgiveness. I live out there and low on the face.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Sounds like it could be a perfect head for me if there's lots of toe side forgiveness. I live out there and low on the face.

The toe on this thing is ridiculously hot, inexplicably so. Low on the face is something that I almost never even hit so I can't report but some guys have reported the low face giving poor performance.

Taylormade says that M2 is designed to be both long and forgiving.
They accomplish long with a light crown, improved aerodynamics and a redesigned speed slot.
They accomplish forgiving with a deeper CG.

I put in the 8.3gm weight because it hit my SW spot but I did notice a launch difference vs just adding lead tape which not all the way back.
Not a lot of heel misses here but toe misses are much improved vs heel misses for sure.

This is an alternative to the M1. Keeping in the "M" line of clubs, however, less adjustability compared to the M1.
Thanks. I'll have to give this a go.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Low was a struggle for a number of testers that we had on FlightScope. High was very good.

The reason that more are finding success, although if you read the SLDR and R15 thread, you would swear you are hearing the same thing in a driver that is completely different. They took weight away from the crown (similar to Callaway and Cobra) which moves the CG lower. Then added weight in the back. So as TO put it (the guy that designed TM drivers for years), low and back will bring more forgiveness and higher ball flight.

There are a number of THP TV videos where he describes why this is the case as his current company has been at the forefront of design in many instances. A lot of golfers want the CG below the ball so going lower by reducing crown weight is an easy way to achieve that and it was great to see TM catch up in that instance (and surpass some).

I struggle with the long term message they have delivered, but with new people in place, I suspect that going forward its pretty clear and concise.

Makes sense, and it also explains how throwing a heavier weight in the back end of the head can really give a performance boost.

Hmm ok. Yeah I hit a lot of balls low, so maybe not ideal for me. Worth spending a little time with though.

Makes sense, and it also explains how throwing a heavier weight in the back end of the head can really give a performance boost.

Depending on placement it can lower CG. Not always noticeable, part of that is weight, but can. And it CAN be a performance boost. It can also be a hinder.

Low was a struggle for a number of testers that we had on FlightScope. High was very good.

The reason that more are finding success, although if you read the SLDR and R15 thread, you would swear you are hearing the same thing in a driver that is completely different. They took weight away from the crown (similar to Callaway and Cobra) which moves the CG lower. Then added weight in the back. So as TO put it (the guy that designed TM drivers for years), low and back will bring more forgiveness and higher ball flight.

There are a number of THP TV videos where he describes why this is the case as his current company has been at the forefront of design in many instances. A lot of golfers want the CG below the ball so going lower by reducing crown weight is an easy way to achieve that and it was great to see TM catch up in that instance (and surpass some).

I struggle with the long term message they have delivered, but with new people in place, I suspect that going forward its pretty clear and concise.

Your thoughts are similar to mine in terms of the "message."

My biggest issue with the changing in tech, is it seems, especially with TaylorMade over the past few years that their philosophy on what is the "best tech in a driver" contradicts itself from year to year.

Your thoughts are similar to mine in terms of the "message."

My biggest issue with the changing in tech, is it seems, especially with TaylorMade over the past few years that their philosophy on what is the "best tech in a driver" contradicts itself from year to year.

I think that comes with the changes.

First it was you are playing the wrong loft
Then it was you need to move forward in weight
Now it is this.

Overall I think part of the issue is golfers, not willing to loft up to achieve what was necessary out of SLDR. Then add a change in design team with the departure of TO, 2-3 different CEOs and an entirely different media relations team. A bit of chaos, but glad they figured it out.

I think that comes with the changes.

First it was you are playing the wrong loft
Then it was you need to move forward in weight
Now it is this.

Overall I think part of the issue is golfers, not willing to loft up to achieve what was necessary out of SLDR. Then add a change in design team with the departure of TO, 2-3 different CEOs and an entirely different media relations team. A bit of chaos, but glad they figured it out.
Understandable about the changes.

I need more loft with this one, no doubt about it.

Can you give some more information?

If you were to write a home page review, for this club, what would you say?

Can you talk about the subjective such as looks, sound and feel?
Can you talk about the technology they are marketing and if you think its working as described?
Etc

I've already talked about the looks sound and feel in previous posts. It's hard not to feel like I'm getting repetitive at this point. I know it's not as exciting as hitting 320 yard drives. I will think about the marketing and compare that after my next round.

I've already talked about the looks sound and feel in previous posts. It's hard not to feel like I'm getting repetitive at this point. I know it's not as exciting as hitting 320 yard drives. I will think about the marketing and compare that after my next round.

Perhaps maybe a longer version as mentioned similar to a home page review where you touch on each piece. While it might seem repetitive, I know the searching is looking for full reviews, rather than simply a recap from a round that is mostly about the swing.

Thanks.

Perhaps maybe a longer version as mentioned similar to a home page review where you touch on each piece. While it might seem repetitive, I know the searching is looking for full reviews, rather than simply a recap from a round that is mostly about the swing.

Thanks.

Ill try try and do better from now on.

I played another 18 holes today. This driver continues instill confidence off the tee. For the first time in a long time I look forward to hitting my driver.

The white edge on the crown eliminates any uncertainty as to whether you have the face square or not. This goes a long way as far as comfort feeling at ease at address. The carbon fiber on the rest of the crown just makes it look high tech and powerful. The multi material construction makes the driver feel light weight giving you the sensation that you can generate tremendous club head speed. And the results are just that. The more comfortable a get with this club, the farther it goes. My drives just keep getting better and better.

The sweet spot feels massive also. Almost the size of a silver dollar. The sweet spot extends out to the toe. Toe hits are just not costing me much distance at all. Im carrying any trouble that might be in my line so the forgiveness is there. On the heel not so much, but it seems like I'm not the only one that has noticed this. The low spin low CG projection seems to be performing as Taylormade intended. Once I upped the loft I stared seeing a nice high penetrating ball flight that gets a lot of roll out. The ball just jumps off the face when you hit it anywhere near the center. The spin is definitely low too because when I slice it just barely misses the fairway. With my old Callaway Razr fit extreme my slices would balloon into the next fairway or into the woods. I'm just not seeing that here.

My favorite part if those good shots is how great it feels. There's almost no vibration which takes some time to adjust to because common sense would tell you that a light clubhead should vibrate when you take a rip at it but it barely does at all. And the sound, oh the sound. It's such a satisfying "plink." Even my playing partners have commented on how good it sounds. Every time I play, I like this driver more and more.

Understandable about the changes.

I need more loft with this one, no doubt about it.

I'm going to turn the loft up to 11.5 on this one - Hitting it side by side the XR16 (same shafts) I'm noticing that the 10.5 XR16 is launching much higher and carrying further. Still very happy with the dispersion on the M2 but the launch on the XR16 and subsequent benefits are undeniable.

I'm going to turn the loft up to 11.5 on this one - Hitting it side by side the XR16 (same shafts) I'm noticing that the 10.5 XR16 is launching much higher and carrying further. Still very happy with the dispersion on the M2 but the launch on the XR16 and subsequent benefits are undeniable.

It goes from 10.5 to 12.5. There is no 11.5.

Back