play this par5 second shot

I'd take the yellow line with my Apex Utility or a 5w if the wind is into me. I'm hitting a draw, so the ball either flies to the middle of the green or draws to the safe side of the green.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm pulling the 7w and going forward. My miss with that club is a slice, and being lefty, that should work ok, unless I really blow it up. If I'm having a bad day and trying to play smart it's a 5 iron on the green line or a little left of that

Sent from the magic know everything box in my pocket

I'd knock a HW up towards the green. If it comes up short, I'd trust my bunker game to get up and down.

Casual round, I'm going for the green. I'm playing my 3H. I would aim a little more left, since my ball flight with my hybrid is to the right.

A round that counts, I'm probably down enough that I have to go for the hero shot anyway so I'm going for the green. :D

I'd try to pull off the orange but would end up like the yellow.

I'd probably try the orange line on a bit farther right start and go for the green. If i hit the sand, i'm ok with that.

I'd go more the green route but I'd play it more in the 200-205 range. If I hit it straight I'm still ok. If it fades a little, even better. So 6i and play for a slight cut.

If I was having a good day swinging the club I'd take the green line with a 4h with a little cut. I don't think I could hold the green if I went right at it. If I was having a crappy day I'd go 5 iron to the left of orange line with a little cut and hopefully wind up with a short pitch to the green

If I'm having a good ball striking day I pull hybrid and go right at the flag; less than great ball striking day and I'm pulling 7i and playing safe.
Yep, thats my way. If the swing is co-operating, 3 Hybrid otherwise its a 7 Iron followed by a pitch on.

To me this an easy decision going for it gives me the best chance at biride/eagle. The only slight risk I see is missing short in the bunker. With the long bunker shot I should still make par but will make birdie difficult.

I like the yellow line. If the 211 is to the center of the green. Then I am hitting 6 iron to which should carry the trap land short of the flag and release onto the green. If the 211 is to carry the trap then I am hitting 5 iron. 5 iron brings over the green into play which I don't mind as it seems like an easy up and down. The other shot I would consider is the green line and turning 6 or 7 iron over to carry onto front of the green or just short and let release.

This shot is the definition of green light to me. High reward and very little risk. If I walk off with anything other than biride or eagle here I would be upset.

I'd go yellow line and go for it every time. The only way I'm in huge trouble is if I completely shank my shot and I could shank a lay up just as easy as I could a 3 hybrid/4 iron to take the yellow line. Best case I'm on the green putting for eagle, most likely case I've got a green side bunker shot or a chip shot from just off. I like those odds overall.

I'd likely go with the blue path. I'm not super comfortable with my over 200 shot from the fairway and with that much trouble I feel much more confident laying up.

I'd go for it.. either my 18* or 20.5* hybrid (depending on wind). I'm not a long hitter.. it's not often I have a chance to get to a par 5 in 2, so I take the chance when I get it.

play this par5 second shot

Im taking the yellow line, aiming center to center-left of the tree and targeting the front part of the green with my D9.

Last edited:
211?

. The water isn't close enough to the green to be concerning. .

This ^^^^ made me think of something. - Its kind of funny how many mid and higher cappers who can fairly easily carry the water distance were it not there yet somehow will end up in it because it is....lol

Truth is we (mid/high caps) fail at our good strikes much more often vs a low cap and with no water its no big deal but it becomes a big deal for that reason not to mention the added pressure to make the carry in itself causing more failed shots than normal. Even a pond half that size would still gobble up more balls to the same relative area vs if the there was no pond at all. Put an obstacle in front of most golfers and the fail rate magically goes up even for a basic shot let alone long ones.

having a heavenwood in the bag makes me want to go at it. Although I'd probably end up going with the blue line and just laying up to a good number.

I would give it a go with the 3 hybrid at center of green. As long as I don't come up dramatically short into the water, the miss is manageable.

I'd probably aim at the green with a bit of a draw and land between the blue and green.

I always like to aim at the trouble and "try" to turn it away from it.

Yellow line for me all day long. 3 hybrid. A mis-hit puts me in the bunker, still with a chance for an up and down.

I'd go yellow line and go for it every time. The only way I'm in huge trouble is if I completely shank my shot and I could shank a lay up just as easy as I could a 3 hybrid/4 iron to take the yellow line.
I agree with Puttin4Bird. It's not even a question of whether I'm going for it or not, the only determination is what club. In this circumstance, with the bunker short and no trouble behind, I would hit to the yardage at the back of the green. If I pure it and go over it's an easy chip to the hole, otherwise I'm on with a chance at eagle & 2 putts for bird.

I'd pull my 3h (220 club) and aim at the left front side of the green. I primarily play a cut and it looks like going deep isn't that big of a penalty.

If I'm playing Tadashi I'm going yellow line every day all day.
If I'm playing #cookie I'm going yellow line every day all day.
If I'm playing JB I'm going blue line because that's what he'd do so would think he knows something I don't.
If I'm playing Jeff/John spicoli he'd be 50 yards ahead of me so would be forced to go yellow knowing he's got a PW for his 2nd.
If I'm playing ThreeBoysDad I'd go yellow because if I didn't he'd call me yellow in his Texas drawl.

So yellow most of the time.

depending on wind and lie, i'm pulling 5i or 4h and aiming for the left side of the green. it's an easy cover unless i chunk the crap out of the shot, so even if i miss it a little i'm only in the bunker which should be close to a guaranteed par or maybe even a birdie opportunity. and given that my miss is a draw, the wipe into the hazard isn't much of a concern.

I would go yellow. I would hit a 5 iron and it should get me to the center of the green. If its just short, i dont mind the bunker shot.

I'm somewhat prone to pulling it so the yellow line option is all about that tree for me. How tall is it? How high are the branches trimmed under it? Taking the yellow line, I'd hate to clip it and kick into the marsh or lake, or have to try to play my 3rd under those branches with that long bunker between me and the green. So I'd likely try to fade something up on or near the front of the green, (orange option). The trap kind of favors that option too, in that it provides a little safety buffer from getting into real trouble if I overcook the fade.

Back