Best golf in San Antonio, TX?

Space Bandito

Baguette
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
2 Children
What are your favorite tracks? Why are they your favorite?

Headed down there next week, and want to get it all in.

Thanks!

I really like the quarry. It's been years since I played it, but very unique layout. Nine holes in an old rock quarry so lots of exposed stone, cliffs, and elevation changes. The other nine is links style. So two very different halves, but if you are ok with that then you'll probably really enjoy it. Btw, this course was in great shape last I was there.

There is always TPC San Antonio too...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm a fan of la Cantera Palmer and the tpc tracks. Quarry back 9 is fun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Quarry - It's exactly what evinkc05 said, and it's in great shape right now. Play for about $65.

TPC San Antonio (two courses) - Oaks; where the PGA plays, very challenging. Canyons; where the Champions play, a bit easier than the Oaks. You can play either but they're expensive! Around $150 without some kind of special, consider say-n-play.

La Canterra ( two courses) - Resort; very nice. The Palmer; nicer! The Palmer is my favorite course in south Texas. It's very hilly but good shots are rewarded with flat lies. It seems to always be rated in the top 10 of TX courses. Either one are good choices, they'll run you about $75.

Others I would consider:
Canyon Springs
River Crossing
Silverhorn (very tight track)
The Republic
The Hyatt Hill Country Resort

Most all of the courses in this area are in great shape right now, of course some are better than others. If you're able to drive a little further there are some great Hill Country courses that could be looked at as well.

Let me know when you're coming out and I'll let you know what course, and what kind of deal, I can help you with.

Also agree with The Quarry.
Where else can you airmail the green, hit a rock wall, and have the ball end up 10 ft from the hole (it happened!)

Let me know when you're coming out and I'll let you know what course, and what kind of deal, I can help you with.

Will do. I'm coming down next week with my wife. She's checking out a possible job opportunity, so there's a potential I may be coming back for the long term.

Will do. I'm coming down next week with my wife. She's checking out a possible job opportunity, so there's a potential I may be coming back for the long term.

I'm also a TX transplant originally from CA, however, it was the Air Force that brought me here. I've been here since 2000 so I know the area well, let me know if you have any questions about the area. If your wife is in the IT field I 'may' be able to help with info as well.

I'm also a TX transplant originally from CA, however, it was the Air Force that brought me here. I've been here since 2000 so I know the area well, let me know if you have any questions about the area. If your wife is in the IT field I 'may' be able to help with info as well.

Thanks! I'll be checking in for sure if the move happens. I've got a friend there who is also former AF.

I played at Pecan Valley Golf Club in San Antonio on a trip there one year. They played the 1968 PGA Championship there. Good old school layout that didn't break the bank. Decent conditioning. It was fun just to play a piece of history.

I played at Pecan Valley Golf Club in San Antonio on a trip there one year. They played the 1968 PGA Championship there. Good old school layout that didn't break the bank. Decent conditioning. It was fun just to play a piece of history.

Good to know

Course condition is HUGE for me. I don't care if it's the local muni, or designed by somebody famous, I want to play courses that take the time to take care.

Just was looking up Pecan Valley Golf Club to see if it was still in good shape and I see it closed. What a shame!

Just was looking up Pecan Valley Golf Club to see if it was still in good shape and I see it closed. What a shame!

It is/was a shame! Golfers really hated to see that club close. I understand they kept 9 holes, and the property is now The Valor Club. I believe they will be setting it up for handicapped soldiers to play, using special carts. They have big plans for other areas of that property as well. For example, they're going to build an Olympic BMX track/facility there; I'm looking forward to that too.

What about country clubs? Any thing worth looking into joining?

There are some good Country Clubs here:
Sontera is a good one, I was a member there for a while. They have two courses, North and South, the North is fantastic!
The Dominion
Fair Oaks, also two courses
(I've played all of the above, can't say which would be my favorite.)
There's Boot Ranch in the Hill Country
Cordillera Ranch
SA CC

There are just so many nice courses in SA, Austin and in between. So much so that I won't join a club again.

What about country clubs? Any thing worth looking into joining?

Not what I would call a full country club, but I'm a member at Hyatt Hill Country. 3 nines, amazing staff, great conditions, and it is a bonus that I pretty much come and go as I please. If I feel like playing 36, no problem. Quick 9 at lunch, no issues at all. Unless they have an event, wedding, or something like the web.com qualifier you can pretty much show up unannounced and get a round in.

As far as country clubs, there are about 7-8 in the general area that would be considered San Antonio. Some in the hill country north of town that would be a 30-40 min drive depending on where you live. All over the map as far as membership costs are concerned, most being $12k+ a year after initiation fees and the real hard part, finding a sponsor.

If you are into golf history, you have to shoot Brackenridge. Its a muni with a rich history being the original location for the Texas Open. Born in 1916, this course has been a corner stone of San Antonio and Texas golf from the beginning.

I agree with JimBetts list above, but I would caution Silverhorn. I have yet, in the 6 times I have played there, been able to finish a round in under 5 hours. Matter of fact, out of that 6 I have only finished the full 18 twice, walking off at around hole 14 because play was sooooooo slow. Not a marshal to be seen on the course since it is staffed by mostly volunteers.

On a side note, Pecan Valley was where I learned to play many moons ago. There is a grass roots effort to try to revive it, but it's been slow going. Some of my fondest golf memories come from that place. Met Tom Kite in the early 80's there, where he told me at the time "I come here to practice hitting through the trees". You could pretty much promise that you would have to do that several times a round at Pecan... the reason why my grandfather only let me use his 1i since he didn't care if I broke it. :act-up:

Fantastic advice so far! I'll definitely be checking out Brackenridge as I do love me some history.

I have no clue where we'll live. I know we'll want a house, but we'll be renting first just to make sure we like the area.

Not what I would call a full country club, but I'm a member at Hyatt Hill Country. 3 nines, amazing staff, great conditions, and it is a bonus that I pretty much come and go as I please. If I feel like playing 36, no problem. Quick 9 at lunch, no issues at all. Unless they have an event, wedding, or something like the web.com qualifier you can pretty much show up unannounced and get a round in.

As far as country clubs, there are about 7-8 in the general area that would be considered San Antonio. Some in the hill country north of town that would be a 30-40 min drive depending on where you live. All over the map as far as membership costs are concerned, most being $12k+ a year after initiation fees and the real hard part, finding a sponsor.

If you are into golf history, you have to shoot Brackenridge. Its a muni with a rich history being the original location for the Texas Open. Born in 1916, this course has been a corner stone of San Antonio and Texas golf from the beginning.

I agree with JimBetts list above, but I would caution Silverhorn. I have yet, in the 6 times I have played there, been able to finish a round in under 5 hours. Matter of fact, out of that 6 I have only finished the full 18 twice, walking off at around hole 14 because play was sooooooo slow. Not a marshal to be seen on the course since it is staffed by mostly volunteers.

On a side note, Pecan Valley was where I learned to play many moons ago. There is a grass roots effort to try to revive it, but it's been slow going. Some of my fondest golf memories come from that place. Met Tom Kite in the early 80's there, where he told me at the time "I come here to practice hitting through the trees". You could pretty much promise that you would have to do that several times a round at Pecan... the reason why my grandfather only let me use his 1i since he didn't care if I broke it. :act-up:

And I agree with this ^^^

Silverhorn - Lots of fanfare, well liked, challenging, tight. They offer many price deals, monthly packages, etc., that make it easy to play for a good price. So, yes, it does get crowded. Personally, I'm not a fan of the course but it does have a friendly staff, decent clubhouse (considering the traffic) and it's usually in good shape.

Hyatt - Great facility! I wish I had joined here instead of Sonterra, and clubs like this in the area are the reason I'm no longer a Sonterra member. Wish I played it more often; I have no excuses as it's maybe 5min from my house. Best sand traps in the area, betcha don't hear that often - LOL

Best sand traps in the area, betcha don't hear that often - LOL

:act-up: Well when the bunker renovation was done by the same company/system that did the bunkers at Valhalla, Gleneagles Centenary, Sawgrass, and four TPC locations...

Well it's official. I'll be moving to SA in about 4 weeks. Looking forward to meeting some of you, and playing some fabulous golf!

Well it's official. I'll be moving to SA in about 4 weeks. Looking forward to meeting some of you, and playing some fabulous golf!

Where did you end up? Maybe we can meet up? Ive been here since oct of 15

We settled in Stone Oak. Would love to meet up. I've made 3 or 4 golf buddies here already, but always looking for more! We might play tomorrow morning.

I wanted stone oak area for Ronald Reagan high school, but the traffic kept us away

We staying in the bulverde creek area while our house is being built in spring branch

I wanted stone oak area for Ronald Reagan high school, but the traffic kept us away

We staying in the bulverde creek area while our house is being built in spring branch

Schools here are great. Traffic on 281 blows. Supposedly they'll begin the widening in early 2017, but I don't know if I believe it.

Where do you play normally?

Schools here are great. Traffic on 281 blows. Supposedly they'll begin the widening in early 2017, but I don't know if I believe it.

Where do you play normally?

I haven't played 1 round since moving here :(

Where did you live in California

Back