I don't see a problem with the charging solution at all... For as 'behind the times' as Wisconsin seems to be, i see a fair number of supercharger locations in places i travel too in the state and outside the state places like Chicago have ample solutions.. This would be an ideal solution for me. 4 miles to work and back twice a day (let the dog out at lunch). Even if we go to our cabin, the Model 3 would allow me more than there and back plus some travel while up there.

One of the independent writers I read said he was able to fit comfortably in at 6'3", with a 6' in the back seat.
Good to know. It would be quite a while before i could try this out myself. I'm always the tallest, and i drive, so i don't think we'd ever have a 6' person in the back seat...

One thing is true, they are the AAPL of the car world right now and its pretty funny to watch from the outside.
Best comparison yet. Building the hype like no other maker in the past that is for sure. Hoping it is not all hype having options is always a good thing.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Best comparison yet. Building the hype like no other maker in the past that is for sure. Hoping it is not all hype having options is always a good thing.

And the defense mechanism about a consumer brand. Its silly.
The part that so few are talking about are abundant.
Tax Credit going away
Electricity vs Gas cost currently
How many can actually work on it right now

Its a darling of a brand, as one can tell with their stock price and Im rooting for them, more so about the silly way autos are sold now and how it kills consumers, but this car does little for me currently. The interior looks pretty cheap to me, and that is just a personal preference.

So, you still have to wait an hour to get charged at those spots. There are also only a few spots across the midwest on major routes, and even then you have to hope your route includes those spots, even with the expansion coming. it's great, and may work for some, but it's impractical for a lot of people. You're making a road trip from Cleveland to Chicago take somewhere around 8 hours now instead of 5 because I have to stop a few times and let the car charge for an hour just to be able to make it to the next charging station.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great idea and is revolutionary. It's just not "there" yet for the masses.

I think most Tesla buyers are married and have another car for road trips. The average person only driver 15,000 miles per year which means if they had a Tesla with a 200 mile range they would have to charge it 6 times per month. In reality most owner charge it every night like we do which means every morning we wake up with a range of 240-250 miles. For us there are only a few times a year where we need more than a 240 mile range and in California there are Superchargers everywhere. Tesla's plan is to double the number of Superchargers over the next few year which will make owning one viable in a lot of other cities outside of California.

I think most Tesla buyers are married and have another car for road trips. The average person only driver 15,000 miles per year which means if they had a Tesla with a 200 mile range they would have to charge it 6 times per month. In reality most owner charge it every night like we do which means every morning we wake up with a range of 240-250 miles. For us there are only a few times a year where we need more than a 240 mile range and in California there are Superchargers everywhere. Tesla's plan is to double the number of Superchargers over the next few year which will make owning one viable in a lot of other cities outside of California.
My point on this whole thing is if you have a nice car 35-60k whatever the model 3 ends up costing. Is the point not to drive it as much as possible? If when taking a trip I need to take a different car /rent a car is that not defeating the purpose of having such a nice car? This is what prevents it from getting out of the niche catagory to me

One thing is true, they are the AAPL of the car world right now and its pretty funny to watch from the outside.

And when Apple came out with the iPhone in 2007 many experts said it was a mistake. Companies like Blackberry dismissed the iPhone and Microsoft's Balmer joked about it. We know how that turned out.

The auto industry is tough and I don't think Tesla will ever have the dominance of the iPhone's 44% market share in the U.S., but I'm hoping they succeed and blow up the distribution model for automobiles.

I agree with that. For those that can have a second car or a second option that's great. I think the numbers of 15,000 a year are slightly skewed by a good amount of people that are either retired or work from home as well. For a good portion of the country, especially the midwest where things are spread out, it's going to be more. I drive a total of nearly 100+ miles to and from work on a daily basis. At that point if I drive to work, have to stop home, I have 0 option to go anywhere of significant distance. And that's if I drive relatively reserved. If I'm gunning it how I like to do getting onto freeways or accelerating off stop lights, my mileage becomes much less.

the Superchargers are also great, but still impractical. How long does it take to stop for gas? 5 minutes? To fully charge the car even at the supercharging stations, Tesla is stating it takes 75 minutes. That's ridiculous to assume you're in a spot to spend over an hour waiting for your car to charge.

It's a great idea, but impractical in use for most other than short commuters or people with access to multiple vehicles.

And when Apple came out with the iPhone in 2007 many experts said it was a mistake. Companies like Blackberry dismissed the iPhone and Microsoft's Balmer joked about it. We know how that turned out.

The auto industry is tough and I don't think Tesla will ever have the dominance of the iPhone's 44% market share in the U.S., but I'm hoping they succeed and blow up the distribution model for automobiles.

Lets not pretend they have not had a slew of duds over the years too. Including their early phone which was a piece of ****. They said nobody wanted to send picture messages for crying out loud.

My point was not about the product, but about the defense mechanism of consumers over the brand. Which is silly.

I agree with that. For those that can have a second car or a second option that's great. I think the numbers of 15,000 a year are slightly skewed by a good amount of people that are either retired or work from home as well. For a good portion of the country, especially the midwest where things are spread out, it's going to be more. I drive a total of nearly 100+ miles to and from work on a daily basis. At that point if I drive to work, have to stop home, I have 0 option to go anywhere of significant distance. And that's if I drive relatively reserved. If I'm gunning it how I like to do getting onto freeways or accelerating off stop lights, my mileage becomes much less.

the Superchargers are also great, but still impractical. How long does it take to stop for gas? 5 minutes? To fully charge the car even at the supercharging stations, Tesla is stating it takes 75 minutes. That's ridiculous to assume you're in a spot to spend over an hour waiting for your car to charge.

It's a great idea, but impractical in use for most other than short commuters or people with access to multiple vehicles.
From what i understand they are sometimes at places like hotels, restaurants, or shopping malls... Ideally you're doing something other than sitting there.

You mean like the Tesla Supercharger network spanning the entire country?

For me, there's one at the Savannah airport, one just north of the GA/FL border on I-95, and one in Macon (about 170 miles from house).

That's about it until I start hitting Atlanta or Jacksonville.

I know it will expand. But I really need to consider the placement of those stations before making the purchase. It's 250 each way to Atlanta from Savannah. It would be great to have some other option than sitting in Macon on the way there.

I do like the direction where this is going, though.

My point on this whole thing is if you have a nice car 35-60k whatever the model 3 ends up costing. Is the point not to drive it as much as possible? If when taking a trip I need to take a different car /rent a car is that not defeating the purpose of having such a nice car? This is what prevents it from getting out of the niche catagory to me

Makes sense to me, we've put 26,000 miles on our Tesla in less than a year. Most luxury car owners have 2+ vehicles and actually put fewer miles on their cars than the average driver does. Among the 6 other Telsa owners I've talked to enough to know how many miles they're driving, only one of them is putting 15,000 miles per year on their Model S.

From what i understand they are sometimes at places like hotels, restaurants, or shopping malls... Ideally you're doing something other than sitting there.

75 minutes added every time you have to stop is unacceptable to me. They are simply impractical to really go anywhere of distance with. Which I do frequently, and a lot of people I know do the same.

Makes sense to me, we've put 26,000 miles on our Tesla in less than a year. Most luxury car owners have 2+ vehicles and actually put fewer miles on their cars than the average driver does. Among the 6 other Telsa owners I've talked to enough to know how many miles they're driving, only one of them is putting 15,000 miles per year on their Model S.
I'll use myself as an example though. We have 3 vehicles between my wife and I. Two cars and an SUV . I have put 7000 miles on my car over the last year since I drive the SUV for work. I lease my Infiniti because it is a fun car to drive and something I wanted. That said of those 7000 miles a good number of them have come from lengthy trips. I took it to Myrtle Beach, up to Pennsylvania and will be taking it to club clash on all those trips I would have spots where I would have trouble making it on a charge and even then I would be adding an hour or more to my trip one way which is a lot of time. My point is my vehicle is basically our third option but because I enjoy driving it I want to take it on trips. That wouldn't be an option for me with the Tesla currently. The network is simply not built up the way it is in California and even if it was I have a hard time adding an hour or more onto my trip to charge.

75 minutes added every time you have to stop is unacceptable to me. They are simply impractical to really go anywhere of distance with. Which I do frequently, and a lot of people I know do the same.

They definitely need more Superchargers to widen their appeal. My wife sometimes drives round trip to work in the same day which is 305 miles. She is able to charge while she is at work so it is not a problem. If she doesn't charge she will stop for 10 minutes(they charge at about 6 miles per minute) at a supercharger and luckily there are 3 right off the freeway between our house and her work. They tend to locate Superchargers at a mall where there is also a Starbucks or similar within a 100 yards. My favorite Supercharger is in Truckee California that is 15 yards from a restaurant/bar that has a few of my favorite IPA's on tap. One beer and we're on our way. :act-up:

They definitely need more Superchargers to widen their appeal. My wife sometimes drives round trip to work in the same day which is 305 miles. She is able to charge while she is at work so it is not a problem. If she doesn't charge she will stop for 10 minutes(they charge at about 6 miles per minute) at a supercharger and luckily there are 3 right off the freeway between our house and her work. They tend to locate Superchargers at a mall where there is also a Starbucks or similar within a 100 yards. My favorite Supercharger is in Truckee California that is 15 yards from a restaurant/bar that has a few of my favorite IPA's on tap. One beer and we're on our way. :act-up:

It's awesome that it works for you and is set up that way. I am just a big proponent on doing whatever possible to shorten trips, not extend them.

I think they are changing the driving experience. Go to their supercharger page and see how they talk about stopping for 20-30 minutes for the charge and that being a time when you grab a bite to eat. To me that just reads like inconvenience - I don't want to schedule my road trips to coincide with meals and I don't necessarily want a 1/2 delay to get back on the road (or longer if others are there before you). But it is what it is - they are changing things and that means doing things differently and obviously a lot of people are buying it.

I Drove my brothers Model S 90D that he got last fall. Its a great car, and on paper is the smartest decision in cost of ownership etc. I am sure this will be a huge win for Tesla as a whole. I will still drive my old Mustang GT tho... since i put less than 5K on it a year... its more about enjoyment than cost function for me.

There is no way I could consider one if I were single, and my wife and I couldn't own two of them. But my wife's vehicle is fine for road trips together, and if I was playing golf out of town or heading somewhere for work there is no reason I couldn't take my wife's.

The biggest thing will be price and luggage space. I keep my clubs in my trunk at virtually all times, and if I can't do that it will be a deal breaker most likely. It definitely doesn't look like they will fit in the front, but there is supposedly a rear trunk as well, I don't know if they will fit there.

This is an interesting thread and brings up a lot of the plusses and minuses of what Tesla is up against. I think this model is what will either set up Tesla as a new model for auto makers or break them.

If they get the widespread mainstream appeal than it will allow them to expand their charger network as well bring the costs down overall for this and future models.

I am rooting for them and hope they succeed but they have a long way to go and several big enemies that will do whatever they can to slow them down.

This is an interesting thread and brings up a lot of the plusses and minuses of what Tesla is up against. I think this model is what will either set up Tesla as a new model for auto makers or break them.

If they get the widespread mainstream appeal than it will allow them to expand their charger network as well bring the costs down overall for this and future models.

I am rooting for them and hope they succeed but they have a long way to go and several big enemies that will do whatever they can to slow them down.
Hopefully if it is successful we will see the mainstream jump in with more options as well. So far all we have is ugly cars with short leashes.

According to Musk these will come nicely equipped at 35k, I'd buy one if I didn't get a new car two years ago. This is going to be a smashing success if he can deliver on his timeline, IMO.

We bought a Model S 85D last April and couldn't be happier. We have 26,000 miles on it with zero maintenance. I haven't even had to rotate the tires as it's all wheel drive and they are wearing evenly. The main reason we bought it was so my wife could get in the carpool lanes when she drives 150 miles down to work almost every Monday or Tuesday and returns home on Thursday. It chops her commute time from 3.5 hours to 2.5 hours twice each week so that alone is worth a lot. We saved over $3,000 on fuel costs last year and her company still reimburses the normal $.60 per mile for her commute. This will definitely not be our last Tesla!

you should probably have those tires rotated. I could be wrong but im pretty sure the tesla is not all time awd and therefore would primarily be using either the front or rear wheels to propel it until it needs the other. Not to mention other things go into tire wear such as weight distribution, suspension setup and braking.

Back