So face shaving, whats that all about and who does it

I dont want nor need a handicap though..I know so many guys who play this same way, we play for fun, and people I play with never even keep score lol

oOTw1w9_zpsrt9xoine.gif

Yes I am going to play how I been playhing just wanted to see if anyone else had done it before. And true in the softball bat sense, only we play in open bats and mostly for HR derby lol

I mean if its just for fun to see how far you can hit it...using this example shouldn't you only be using this "shaved" driver for long drive competitions and not on the course?

I know we play for fun as well, and part of that is sticking with the rules, including the equipment. A lot of other folks, though, get enjoyment out of golf a bit differently. Sounds like, for the OP, part of that is wanting to swing away, and hit the long ball. In that case, neither the tee box, nor the score, really matter to them. And that's OK. Not generally how I get full enjoyment from golf, right now, but I can understand it.

I agree with this, I guess my point was different though. If the goal with shaving is to hit it closer to the hole, why not just move up a tee box and accomplish that without incurring any of the cost to shave the face, any of the fear of easier damage that it could create, etc.

If the goal is a pound your chest thing or ego thing to drive the ball further, that is different and then shaving the face of the driver would be one of the few ways to go without wanting to fix the swing, etc.

Hope that makes sense.

I personally just don't see the point in shaving the face of the driver. Or any wood for that matter.

Tried moving closer and some holes either on green or over, or dog legs and cant really do that. we play from tips cause we can hit far already, And realy main post was to see if others did same as this before haha I know to jus do it as I am going to. My irons are long, 7 iron goes about 210-225 if I step on it, and yes its true not making up. I will use for Long Drive holes in charity events, but for LD events cant do it....this is just for fun.

I would say you could accomplish the same exact thing by just moving up a tee box.
Assuming the goal is to hit it further, IE closer to the hole.

haha i was going to say the same thing. or just hit your tee shot and if you don't like where it is pick it up and place it somewhere you're happier with. or just buy a t-shirt cannon and shoot your golf ball out of there.

I agree with this, I guess my point was different though. If the goal with shaving is to hit it closer to the hole, why not just move up a tee box and accomplish that without incurring any of the cost to shave the face, any of the fear of easier damage that it could create, etc.

If the goal is a pound your chest thing or ego thing to drive the ball further, that is different and then shaving the face of the driver would be one of the few ways to go without wanting to fix the swing, etc.

Hope that makes sense.

Absolutely makes sense, JB. Heck, I'd love to hit the ball farther, but not via the shaving route.

I don't have the stats, but would guess that there are more recreational golfers who get more enjoyment out of the one 3-bill drive than would care about shooting a PB in any given round.

One of the things I have to remind myself of, is that THP provides information/news/insights to everyone from pro-level golfers all the way to folks who enjoy a long round with a few beers. And, the reality is, that folks who keep a "real" HC Index and stick to the rules are in the minority when considering the "whole" of the golfing population.

I'm good with whatever folks look to when trying to enjoy a round of golf. (Well, save for the long rounds part - I can't get with that)

Tried moving closer and some holes either on green or over, or dog legs and cant really do that. we play from tips cause we can hit far already, And realy main post was to see if others did same as this before haha I know to jus do it as I am going to. My irons are long, 7 iron goes about 210-225 if I step on it, and yes its true not making up. I will use for Long Drive holes in charity events, but for LD events cant do it....this is just for fun.
You're playing the tips, play only for fun, hit your 7i 210 yards and are looking into shaving your driver?

Let us know how it works for you.

You're playing the tips, play only for fun, hit your 7i 210 yards and are looking into shaving your driver?

Let us know how it works for you.

That would certainly change my game! I'd only carry hybrids, irons, wedges, and putter. A 250+ hybrid would work fine off of the tee boxes i play from, for sure.

I just don't get the point. Is chasing distance that important to people?

Id like to know will shaving actually do THAT much? I can't imagine it'll make some crazy difference. Seems like a way to make money lol

I just don't get the point. Is chasing distance that important to people?

I think some folks just really like hitting it as far as they can, regardless of the method.

Id like to know will shaving actually do THAT much? I can't imagine it'll make some crazy difference. Seems like a way to make money lol

Yeah, there is some money to be made, but I doubt the market is very large. Shaving the face further thins-out the material, thus increasing the C.O.R. beyond the USGA/R&A allowable values - I'm sure it can make a difference, but haven't done anything to see what that increase would be.

I'm not sure what I'd do with a 210 yard 7 iron, or what I would assume has to be 310+ yard driver carry that comes with that kind of number.

Now I definitely want you to shave a secondary head and measure them side by side. This will be fascinating.

I only use conforming clubs so I can keep a hdcp. Not sure I would want to do this anyways.

I got sent to this company from this 60 year old man with half a swing and he was hitting it 270 yards it was nuts, and his speed was NOT that fast. So it does work lol

I got sent to this company from this 60 year old man with half a swing and he was hitting it 270 yards it was nuts, and his speed was NOT that fast. So it does work lol

A company that modifies the head? Does it not draw concerns about face integrity? I would assume you've got quite a move if you're hitting a 7 iron 215-225 so not only will it be interesting to see the different numbers, but also whether it holds up against your swing.

What driver were you planning to experiment with? About how far do you normally hit a driver?

A company that modifies the head? Does it not draw concerns about face integrity? I would assume you've got quite a move if you're hitting a 7 iron 215-225 so not only will it be interesting to see the different numbers, but also whether it holds up against your swing.

What driver were you planning to experiment with? About how far do you normally hit a driver?

that was another concern of mine. op sounds like he has a really fast ss, so i would think caving a SUPER thin face would be a real concern.

This is incredible.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I'm so confused why a guy who it's a 7 iron further than PGA Pros wants to shave their driver?

I'm so confused why a guy who it's a 7 iron further than PGA Pros wants to shave their driver?

I get it. probably the same reason why a racecar driver wants to go faster than he's ever gone before.

For some, the goal of golf is score. For others, it's distance. Clearly, VinceRKG is a bomber and the fun of golf is about hammering drives, and that's awesome.

I swing around 120, highest other day on flight scope was 127. I want to swing easy and keep control PLUS get the distance, and when I need to step it up I wnat to see what it does. We all know the fast you swing the more ****** your impact gets lol so im trying to make it other way around. I am going to try and old Adams and and old cobra head I have lying around. If they prove to be good working, I might buy one from his site as he sells new drivers also. Plus hes local to me so I can go in and see what he has.

If I can't game it why have it IMO. Never played an illegal club.

I swing around 120, highest other day on flight scope was 127. I want to swing easy and keep control PLUS get the distance, and when I need to step it up I wnat to see what it does. We all know the fast you swing the more ****** your impact gets lol so im trying to make it other way around. I am going to try and old Adams and and old cobra head I have lying around. If they prove to be good working, I might buy one from his site as he sells new drivers also. Plus hes local to me so I can go in and see what he has.

Does he have some sort of setup where you can demo on FlightScope? That'd be awesome.

no but he said you can use Krank next to him to see what your speeds are for your face shaving.

Back