Mobility drills for Weightlifters/Bodybuilders/Powerlifters

KCSmitty

Reaction score
Handicap
All of it.
For all the weekend links warriors and Weightlifters--

Curious is anyone has any unique mobility drills out outside of yoga or bands that help loosen up after a hard workout?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

i can't give you a routine but check out flexible.bear on instagram. he is one of a couple I follow, thestrengththerapist, thebarbellphysio to supplement the gym and keep this body functional

i can't give you a routine but check out flexible.bear on instagram. he is one of a couple I follow, thestrengththerapist, thebarbellphysio to supplement the gym and keep this body functional

How’s the back Jack?

the back has improved to a playable condition, thank you. the torn rotator cuff on the other hand!!! Don't believe the hype...nothing good comes from the gym, lol. torn tendon in my pinky from gripping the bar so tightly (who does that?!!!) in January. Pinched nerve in the back while racking 365 after a squatting in February. Torn rotator on the last set of close grip bench at 225 in April. Damn gym is killing me!

the back has improved to a playable condition, thank you. the torn rotator cuff on the other hand!!! Don't believe the hype...nothing good comes from the gym, lol. torn tendon in my pinky from gripping the bar so tightly (who does that?!!!) in January. Pinched nerve in the back while racking 365 after a squatting in February. Torn rotator on the last set of close grip bench at 225 in April. Damn gym is killing me!
Damn... That all sounds miserable. I'm luckily (knock on wood) not battling anything out side the normal elbow or wrist soreness but my mobility on the curse it hurting after a week of throwing heavy weight around.

Flexible.bears IG page does have some great info!

I've torn both pecs lifting so no more heavy weights for me. But when I did, I still stayed pretty limber by always working in cardio - running, elliptical, biking especially. I never had issues swinging a club.

I use this app from Fitify after every workout. It's great at giving you the stretch, timing it, and telling you when to move on. You can hear it over your music playing as well, which is fantastic. Simple and easy.
edd5f95ed137b30f8e90943dbab3ced1.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

@dhartmann34...is that app free?

@dhartmann34...is that app free?
I believe so. I can't remember if I used my Google survey money to buy it or not. I believe it is a free version though. It'll tell you if you go search for it.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Didn't DDP Yoga used to be big around here? It's been a while since I've been around, but I think I'm recalling that correctly.

Didn't DDP Yoga used to be big around here? It's been a while since I've been around, but I think I'm recalling that correctly.
Still is! I get at least two workouts a week to go along with my strength training, plyos, and cardio.

I've been on the program for about a month. I have a bulging disc and some arthritis in my back. Tried cortisone and a radiofrequency ablation. So far, the yoga has been the most effective combining it with a good chiro. I can't recommend it enough at this point. Will see if it helps the golf game in about 3 days!

I've been on the program for about a month. I have a bulging disc and some arthritis in my back. Tried cortisone and a radiofrequency ablation. So far, the yoga has been the most effective combining it with a good chiro. I can't recommend it enough at this point. Will see if it helps the golf game in about 3 days!
Good cryo may be my next steps! A ton of good data and science to back it.

Outside of bands, foam rolling has helped me reduce soreness after workouts

I've heard really good things about DDP Yoga. There is a thread on the forum about it. A lot of pro wrestlers and pro athletes doing it.

I have been working with some lighter, more focused mobility drills and movements with bands and kettlebells before any heavy lifting.

Seems that I have noticed a difference in my joints and joint mobility. Also grip, wrist and forearm strength.

I will try to get a video posted at some point soon.

I have been working with some lighter, more focused mobility drills and movements with bands and kettlebells before any heavy lifting.

Seems that I have noticed a difference in my joints and joint mobility. Also grip, wrist and forearm strength.

I will try to get a video posted at some point soon.

Interesting. How much time has it added to your routine? Also, does it help at all with muscle soreness the following days? My issue is that I can push myself in the gym and feel fine, but DOMS are ridiculous for at least 2 days. Golf is not an option for a good while after a hard session in the gym. It has gotten to the point where I barely get in at all because I don't want it interfering with my golf.

@radiman my routine has changed a bit over the years. The days of 2hr sessions, 5-6 days a week are over.

I have shifted focus to at least 1-2 heavy compound lifts, i.e... Heavy deadlifts and t-bar rows. so 30-40 minutes, then another 45 min on Endurance Training & aerobic exercise w/ 15-20 min of cardio or core work. 3-4 days a week.

DOMS typically set in about 48-72hrs later. Recovery sups have helped, good creatine, BCAA's and plenty of protein and water, not to sound like a broken record. I have noticed a shorter recovery time with the aerobic training after the heavy compound lifts. Aerobic movement will promote blood-cell replenishment faster that compound movements.

Allowing enough time before the round for a good stretching routine as helped as well.

@radiman my routine has changed a bit over the years. The days of 2hr sessions, 5-6 days a week are over.

I have shifted focus to at least 1-2 heavy compound lifts, i.e... Heavy deadlifts and t-bar rows. so 30-40 minutes, then another 45 min on Endurance Training & aerobic exercise w/ 15-20 min of cardio or core work. 3-4 days a week.

DOMS typically set in about 48-72hrs later. Recovery sups have helped, good creatine, BCAA's and plenty of protein and water, not to sound like a broken record. I have noticed a shorter recovery time with the aerobic training after the heavy compound lifts. Aerobic movement will promote blood-cell replenishment faster that compound movements.

Allowing enough time before the round for a good stretching routine as helped as well.

Yeah, time is my issue. I can either go on my lunch break and get a 45 minute workout. Or, go once the kids go to bed which is between 9:30-10pm. Getting home at 11:30 after a hard workout makes it impossible to sleep. Then I am super tired the next day. So, I have adjusted it to a couple main compound lifts. Some core work and call it good. I used to try and get 20 minutes of cardio in, but it just gets my heart rate too high and sleep is not an option for a while afterwards.

Back