new member from Gilbert, AZ

oumagic

‘24 NFL Experience at Ballyhack
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 11.3
I am 46 years old male with two kids age 16 and 13. I found the site looking for info on a golf ball. I used to play a lot, then we had kids and I had shoulder issues. Started playing again in January and loving the game again. I look forward to visiting the forums here in the future.

Edited to add on 5/1/19:

A little more depth to my introduction. I typed up something real quick the day I joined and then have spent more time and love the neighborhood :)

I grew up in Oklahoma and I really started playing in 1995 when I started working for a company out of Kansas after graduating from a small school in Missouri. I hit the ball around as a teenager, but not with rules or scores. The guys at work all played and were probably 20 handicaps at the time. I remember my first round with them I shot 131 and was not sure I would ever play again. I improved roughly to a 100 golfer in about 6 months. I upgraded my hodgepodge set to a 1994 Big Bertha iron/driver and that was the first set I ever purchased (my others were given to me by a stranger when I was 15-16). My last name is Callahan and after buying the Callaway clubs I was given the nickname of Callawack by the group. I was transferred to Arizona in 1998 and that is where I really started playing. In 1999, one of our other plant managers bet me that I could not beat the best golfer out of the group in 2000. I would say I was around an 18 handicap at the time and he was around a 12. Obviously it is doable, but with me being in Arizona and he being in Kansas, I would have limited shots. Well, I did it and had my handicap down to 9.6 in 2001. My first child was born in 2003 and second in 2005, so I didn't play much from then until 2015 or so; club soccer and club dance really took most of my time as a very involved youth soccer coach and evolved into a team manager later when I wasn't qualified to coach the better players ;)

Fast forward to 2017, I was 45 and been with the company for 20+ years. Some of the original co-worker group have passed on or are no longer able to play. Business isn't what it used to be and we aren't able to all get together once a year like in the past. I had lost my passion for the game but an acquaintance through youth soccer invited me to play a few times. We then got involved with a Sunday group in December 2018. I shot 101 there and decided it was time to start playing and practicing again. I had some Ping G5 irons from 2005? and decided I wanted to go back to Callaway and improve my game. I don't have an official handicap but use a free tracker starting January 2019 and am at 8 in my 16 rounds of the year. Most importantly, I am loving the game again that I fell in love with back in 1998. I revamped the bag and am ready to start playing again.

When I started looking through the forums for club reviews and ball reviews, I started getting a vibe that this is a special forum. When I saw that they donate to St. Jude's, it made me happy and I bought the 2019 Albatross this week. I just wanted to add to my intro in case people see me posting and want to go back and see who this guy really is. I am going to copy this to the bottom of my first post. See you all around the forums.

Last edited:
Welcome! You will enjoy it.

Welcome to THP!!

Welcome aboard!

Welcome to THP! Lots of good info & good people here.

Welcome!

Welcome to THP! Lots of AZ people on here this is a great place.

Welcome to THP.

Welcome to THP!!!

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Welcome to THP.

Lots of great info here! Welcome to THP!

Welcome to THP!!

Welcome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:welcome:

Welcome to THP!

Welcome!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

:welcome:
My brother, nephew, and I play Kokopelli GC in Gilbert quite a bit.

A little more depth to my introduction. I typed up something real quick the day I joined and then have spent more time and love the neighborhood :)

I grew up in Oklahoma and I really started playing in 1995 when I started working for a company out of Kansas after graduating from a small school in Missouri. I hit the ball around as a teenager, but not with rules or scores. The guys at work all played and were probably 20 handicaps at the time. I remember my first round with them I shot 131 and was not sure I would ever play again. I improved roughly to a 100 golfer in about 6 months. I upgraded my hodgepodge set to a 1994 Big Bertha iron/driver and that was the first set I ever purchased (my others were given to me by a stranger when I was 15-16). My last name is Callahan and after buying the Callaway clubs I was given the nickname of Callawack by the group. I was transferred to Arizona in 1998 and that is where I really started playing. In 1999, one of our other plant managers bet me that I could not beat the best golfer out of the group in 2000. I would say I was around an 18 handicap at the time and he was around a 12. Obviously it is doable, but with me being in Arizona and he being in Kansas, I would have limited shots. Well, I did it and had my handicap down to 9.6 in 2001. My first child was born in 2003 and second in 2005, so I didn't play much from then until 2015 or so; club soccer and club dance really took most of my time as a very involved youth soccer coach and evolved into a team manager later when I wasn't qualified to coach the better players ;)

Fast forward to 2017, I was 45 and been with the company for 20+ years. Some of the original co-worker group have passed on or are no longer able to play. Business isn't what it used to be and we aren't able to all get together once a year like in the past. I had lost my passion for the game but an acquaintance through youth soccer invited me to play a few times. We then got involved with a Sunday group in December 2018. I shot 101 there and decided it was time to start playing and practicing again. I had some Ping G5 irons from 2005? and decided I wanted to go back to Callaway and improve my game. I don't have an official handicap but use a free tracker starting January 2019 and am at 8 in my 16 rounds of the year. Most importantly, I am loving the game again that I fell in love with back in 1998. I revamped the bag and am ready to start playing again.

Last edited:
Nice Screen name.

I am 46 years old with male with two kids age 16 and 13. I found the site looking for info on a golf ball. I used to play a lot, then we had kids and I has shoulder issues. Started playing again in January and loving the game again. I look forward to visiting the forums here in the future.

Edited to add on 5/1/19:

I grew up in Oklahoma and I started playing in 1995 when I started working for a company out of Kansas after graduating from a small school in Missouri. The guys there all played and were probably 20 handicaps at the time. I remember my first round with them I shot 131 and was not sure I would ever play again. I improved roughly to a 100 golfer in about 6 months. I upgraded my hodgepodge set to a 1994 Big Bertha iron/driver and that was the first set I ever purchase. My last name is Callahan and after buying the Callaway clubs I was given the nickname of Callawack by the group. I was transferred to Arizona in 1998 and that is where I really started playing. In 1999, one of our other plant managers bet me that I could not beat the best golfer out of the group in 2000. I would say I was around an 18 handicap at the time and he was around a 12. Obviously it is doable, but with me being in Arizona and he being in Kansas, I would have limited shots. Well, I did it and had my handicap down to 9.6 in 2001. My first child was born in 2003 and second in 2005, so I didn't play much from then until 2015 or so; club soccer and club dance really took most of my time as a very involved youth soccer coach and evolved into a team manager later when I wasn't qualified to coach the better players ;)

Fast forward to 2017, I was 45 and been with the company for 20+ years. Some of the original co-worker group have passed on or are no longer able to play. Business isn't what it used to be and we aren't able to all get together once a year like in the past. I had lost my passion for the game but an acquaintance through youth soccer invited me to play a few time. We then got involved with a Sunday group in December 2018. I shot 101 there and decided it was time to start playing and practicing again. I had some Ping G5 irons from 2005 and decided I wanted to go back to Callaway and improve my game. I don't have an official handicap but use a free tracker starting January 2019 and am at 7.4 in my 9 rounds of the year. Most importantly, I am loving the game again that I fell in love with back in 1998. I revamped the bag and am ready to start playing again.

When I started looking through the forums for club reviews and ball reviews, I started getting a vibe that this is a special forum. When I saw that they donate to St. Jude's, it made me happy and I bought the 2019 Albatross this week. I just wanted to add to my intro in case people see me posting and want to go back and see who this guy really is. I am going to copy this to the bottom of my first post. See you all around the forums.

Welcome to THP!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back