DIY shaft puller with pics

hot damn, that is pretty slick. Pretty ingenious, well done.

I love that this is still helping people.

Im.. this is genius and I will be copying..

A word of warning about using this style puller. Make sure not to put too much heat into the tip of your shaft. The epoxy needs to release quick enough that the tip slides off without the heat absorbing into the graphite. If it won't budge cool it off with a wet rag fast and have it professionally done. I would hate for someone to overheat an expensive shaft.

I’m thinking about a second spilt collar around a piece of fuel hose on the shaft instead using the vise so I can rotate it over the heat. Maybe even be able to dunk it in water if heat gets a little excessive.

7CA0125D-46F7-472A-82FA-29D7289739AD.jpeg I updated it a bit. Added a 5/8 split collar and a length of slit air compressor hose. Just pull it tight against my vice jaws and tighten the 5/8 collar. Now I can rotate the whole works over the flame.

View attachment 9243308 I updated it a bit. Added a 5/8 split collar and a length of slit air compressor hose. Just pull it tight against my vice jaws and tighten the 5/8 collar. Now I can rotate the whole works over the flame.
That looks amazing. Where can I find single split collars? I see amazon sells them in 4 packs of each size.

This thread would have been good to see prior to the weekend 😂

Very simple and ingenious. I made a DIY shaft extractor years ago using wood to clamp the shaft and a vice to pull the head/adapter off. It worked well, but it is gone after I remodeled my garage. I might try this or just kick down for an industry shaft extractor, but I still think they are quite overpriced especially if you only extract a few shafts a year. Lol. But I guess in the long run it could pay off if do a fair amount of shaft extractions.

All in it was under $30. I like being able to rotate everything while applying the heat.

Very simple and ingenious. I made a DIY shaft extractor years ago using wood to clamp the shaft and a vice to pull the head/adapter off. It worked well, but it is gone after I remodeled my garage. I might try this or just kick down for an industry shaft extractor, but I still think they are quite overpriced especially if you only extract a few shafts a year. Lol. But I guess in the long run it could pay off if do a fair amount of shaft extractions.
The pro shaft extractor tool they sell is total overkill for amateurs. Spending $279 for something I will use a couple times a year is pointless. Plus look at the satisfaction you get from doing the same function using a few bucks in parts.

I built my DIY shaft puller using a wall mounted can crusher and a drill press vice...probably about $25 or so in labor (built in 2020). For graphite shaft adapters, I just thread a bolt into the end and have the washer bear on the moveable part of the crusher. Works great!

1708640839593.jpeg

View attachment 9243308 I updated it a bit. Added a 5/8 split collar and a length of slit air compressor hose. Just pull it tight against my vice jaws and tighten the 5/8 collar. Now I can rotate the whole works over the flame.

It is a great idea. 👍

What size is the spring, inside diameter and outside diameter?

It is a great idea. 👍

What size is the spring, inside diameter and outside diameter?

7/8 OD
5/8 ID
3”

That little piece of air compressor hose kinda cuts back on the fling when the adapter lets loose. At least it has for the last two I did. I pull it as tight as I can get it before locking it down.

Back