DIY shaft puller with pics

badolds

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
12 est.
I built this homemade shaft puller this morning out of some stuff I had laying around the shop. It worked so good that I thought I would share how I did it.

20190418_133300.jpg

I started by finding a flat washer with a inside diameter of .380, this allows the shaft to fit inside but the adapter or hosel will not. I used a grinder to cut a slot in the washer so that it resembles pacman. I deburred the edges so it would not scratch the shaft. I found a spring that fits around the shaft.

20190418_133237.jpg

I used a piece of rubber fuel line split longways around the shaft to clamp it in the vise without damage.

20190418_131352.jpg

i then slid the washer behind the adapter and pulled the spring tight against the edge of the vise and clamped the shaft in place. This holds the spring under tension pushing against the adapter. I heated the adapter up and the spring pushed it off the shaft like magic.

I have seen many THP'rs say they would like to do some club work themselves. I hope this post will inspire some of you to try it. Changing shafts and grips is very easy and I find it to be therapeutic as well.

Last edited:
Sometimes its the simplest things that work the best, this is awesome and I can't wait to try it myself!

So simple. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Really cool low budget idea. I should have these items already laying around the garage and will give this a try.

awesome ingenuity right there!

MacGyver would be proud.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

That is awesome Dan. Now I have a back-up reference if my puller gives out.

Nice work! Simple and effective (and cheap!) is good!

Excellent life hack...well done!

Really great idea. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's awesome, especially as any inexpensive entry into the deep rabbit hole of club building addiction.

Nice work! Thanks for sharing.

Thats pretty cool.

That’s perfect! Nicely done!

That's pretty cool idea , my only concern would be especially for graphite shafts what if the tension is not strong enough and you overheat the tip waiting for it to come loose like magic, lol

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

That's pretty cool idea , my only concern would be especially for graphite shafts what if the tension is not strong enough and you overheat the tip waiting for it to come loose like magic, lol

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

my concern is the opposite, too much pressure and turning the tip into a projectile into the side of my wife’s car lol

This is pretty neat, thanks for sharing this.

Thanks for this...

I can’t find a good reason why this wouldn’t work, nice job!

Yes. The simple things.
I have no use for a shaft puller right now, but the SPLIT FUEL LINE!
I'm tired of the tight rubber vice blocks, this can help in regripping applications.

Sweet, good back up.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

This only works for wood shafts with adapters, but it is only $7 and removes the possibility of launching an adapter across the room:

https://www.golfworks.com/oem-adaptor-saver-kit/p/gw0130/

It uses a bolt that you thread into the adapter that pushes against the shaft slowly/consistently from within the adapter. It still requires some way to heat the adapter/epoxy and would work best with a rubber shaft holder and a vise.

But yours is definitely a good idea.

@badolds I have been using and tweaking your diy shaft puller with some success. Maybe this additional info will help some people. The spring I found that works came from one of these hose things. Just cut the hose in the center with a utility knife and ditch the ends.
hose.thing.jpg

I also added a small steel plate the the same diameter hole cut as the washer. This helps keep the whole rig under tension in the vice. Here are the parts in order of where they attach to the club
shaft.puller.1.jpg
Here is a picture of a club loaded up and ready to pull. Put tension on it and apply heat. If you do it right the head will just come off
shaft.puller.2.jpg
I may paint the plate and washer bright orange so I can find them on the shop floor after they go flying. If anyone else has any thoughts I would love to hear them.

Brilliant.

Back