I'm back... from golf!

sacul1573

What's a GIR?
Reaction score
Handicap
Hey all,

I've been gone for a little while, and wow, looking through the threads, I realize I've missed alot. I've been somewhat absent from this forum for the last week or two, due to me getting ready for a golf trip. I've been at the range diligently practicing every day, and finally this last Sunday and Monday (today), three co-wokers /friends and myself travelled down to San Diego for two days and two rounds of golf.

I'll update this thread more in the next few days with my scorecards and pictures, but wanted to give a quick rundown of my adventures.

The first round was played on Sunday at the Sea 'N Air golf course on San Diego Naval Base's North Base. Located right on the water, it was both beautiful and in excellent shape. Being in the Air Force, it was easy for all of us LTs to get on base, and stay at the naval lodge. The course has a lot of small lakes and ponds that come into play, and some of them are around blind corners or hills, making a first time outing somewhat difficult (I have a funny and painful story about this later). Anyway, I shot a 91 (43/48), my personal best. While I was very happy with that, I was very disappointed with myself at the end, as I double bogeyed the last two holes (med. length par 3 and short par 4). I knew I could've broken 90.

The second round was played at Coronado golf course, a local course also right along the edge of the island. I think 4 holes play right along the water, and even got a super lucky bounce off the rocks on one hole that bounces a water bound ball back into the fairway. This course was also beautiful and in excellent shape, save the fact that the greens were being top-dressed. That just meant I could be more aggressive with chips and pitches, and breaks weren't so hard. On this course, I shot a 92 (46/46), making 6 pars in the process. I felt this was a more up and down day, as there were many more pars and double bogeys alike, much less consistant than the day before. Overall, very happy with my score again.

So, my feet are sore, I'm somewhat dehydrated, and exhausted, but I was able to get in two wonderful rounds of golf with some great company at first class courses. The fact that I usually score in the high 90's, and after a month or two of practicing and almost zero actually playing, I am happy that I came away with two low 90's, especially since I know there were many shots left out there. My drives were staighter, irons still somewhat lacking in accuracy, 3 putts were fewer, and chipping/pitching was immaculate (3 chip-ins for the two rounds). After this weekend, I am now in love with this game more than I ever have been. More motivation to get out and continue the hard work, and then enjoy the rewards of due diligence.

Welcome back sacul! Great scores!

Congrats on the PB! Always love those!

Glad to have you back and good shooting.

good stuff Sacul!

Nice report, sounds like you had a blast Sacul. Welcome back and can't wait to hear "The Rest of The Story".

Alright, part of the story, here's why I didn't break 90 on the first day.

As I mentioned below, the Sea 'n Air course is full of little ponds and lakes, and several of these are by blind corners or hills. So, back 9, I believe it was hole 12, 500ish Par 5 slight dogleg right, water right infront of the tee requiring a 150 yd carry. I tee up and stripe one right down the middle. The remaining three buddies each proceed to plunk one in the water. We have a good laugh, and I mention "you know, I must be playing well, this is still the same ball I started with" to which one of my buddies replied "that ball is gone on the next stroke". We laughed it off. I get to my ball, and find I have about 250ish yards to the green. I can see the pin is in the front off in the distance, peeking over a hill about 50 yards infront of me. I decide to pull my 5w, try to cut the corner, and roll it up to the green, worst case being I catch a tree and land short on what appears to be a bunker on the right side of the fairway leading up to the green. Well, hit the 5w pure, it takes off, and just clips a branch, sending the ball short of its target. I figure no big deal, bunker or short pitch from the fairway. As I walk over the hill, to my dismay, there is a HUGE lake to the right of, and through the middle of the fairway! Had NO idea it was there. Picture the first explorers to find the Pacific off the west coast. Dumbfounded. I was so infuriated by this that my dropped ball was hit thin, taking two skips and sinking to the bottom as well. By this point, my buddies have alread lost a few more balls as well, but they were bowling over in laughter at my misfortune. Put another ball down, this time my water ball, and of course, clear the lake. Settled for a 9 on that hole. We also fed a total of 8 balls to the water on that hole as a group.

Coming up to the par 3 17th, I knew that all I had to do was bogey each of the next two holes, and I'd have an 89. So, I proceed to hit a horrible chip from the fringe, and three putted for a double. Then a short 370 yard par 4 at the 18th. Tee shot was pure, landing just slightly in the left rough. Line up my approach, and send it off. I slightly push the shot, it hits a overhanging branch squarely, and shoots straight down into a FW bunker. Now I'm shaking, but manage to hit a decent midiron out of the bunker onto the rough behind the green. I then chip and 2 putt for another double.

Even though it's my best score to date, those were three holes that I know I left atleast a few strokes behind. The par 5, though, if I would have elected to lay up, it would have dropped right in the middle of that lake. No idea it was there, and my buddies riding in the cart neglected to inform me of this with their GPS. They just sat behind me whispering and snickering. I just thought they were hoping I'd shank it... So I finish with a 91 (43/48).

Good laughs and lots of heckling, thats what this weekend was about!

Glad you've been able to get out there, all things considering :clapp:

Sounds like a great time. Good times with lots of heckling is what golf should be all about. Good job with the 91 on a new to you course.

Back