Hitting up on people ... How close is not okay

Well......I actually did this the last time I played golf, a few weeks ago. Par 5, and I thought I was WAY out from the green to hit it in 2, so got a club out that I thought would put me inside the 30-50 yard range to the green. Welp, flushed it, started walking back to the cart and as we got closer noticed a ball laying on the green about 20 feet from the hole as the guys on the green were putting out. Didn't know till they walked off and left the ball there that it was mine. Felt awesome and horrible at the same time. :D

Caught them as they were pulling away and profusely apoligized. Good Irish lads they were and we had a good laugh about it.

Depends on intent or my interpretation of it. Have one roll up once when they clearly smoked it that’s ok. But I played an outing where we stopped at the turn and the last group played though. We became the last group in the outing and caught them by 12 ,a Par 3. In the group behind one guy hit while we were putting. And then again on 18. We were playing as quick as we could, right behind the group ahead. I was pissed! It was a friends work event so I had to keep cool. The group in front of us was bad and slow but that doesn’t mean we are. Side note the club blocked the parking lot so you couldn’t take cart to car. One guy from the group that hit into us drove through a big flower bed to get to his car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had an incident this week, not sure if I was right/wrong.

On third hole I absolutely smashed my drive and it landed short and rolled past group in front. Tees were back but I still should have waited and mumbled a cheeky apology when I got to green (I know the guys and play with them often). Guys joked they were going to kick it into bunker.

On the fourth I topped my drive and was sitting 210m out . The group in front were on the green (pin was at front). I knew I couldn't make it (even if I smoked one) so I took the shot.

Funnily enough I did smoke it and it landed short and rolled up 3-4m short of green.
When I got up to my ball, I copped some serious abuse. The guys were pretty angry and gave me a spray and pretty heavy warnings.

Here's the thing, I know my game and know I was never going to get there, so I figure there's nothing in it. I was upset at their actions and don't feel like I did anything to deserve it. On reflection I prob should have apologised but I don't feel I did anything wrong.

It annoys me when people get upset when a ball rolls up and stops short. I get it if it rolls past (or lands near) but not if it rolls up short.
Am I wrong?

Sent from my Lenovo P2a42 using Tapatalk

I think we are losing something in translation mate but could you please explain "gave me a spray" further. My imagination is running wild LOL.

Well......I actually did this the last time I played golf, a few weeks ago. Par 5, and I thought I was WAY out from the green to hit it in 2, so got a club out that I thought would put me inside the 30-50 yard range to the green. Welp, flushed it, started walking back to the cart and as we got closer noticed a ball laying on the green about 20 feet from the hole as the guys on the green were putting out. Didn't know till they walked off and left the ball there that it was mine. Felt awesome and horrible at the same time. :D

Caught them as they were pulling away and profusely apoligized. Good Irish lads they were and we had a good laugh about it.
Had to be the Rogue Hybrid!! BIG TIME SHOT!

I remember once at Fox Hollow I was at the tee box with @MWard on a Par 5 and @JB was deep in the fairway. Mind you, this is when I was spraying drives OB, Water Hazards, Hosel rockets 30 yards, 210 yard worm burners. And I CAUGHT one in between the JailBreak and launched it towards JB's cart.

It was close. He even sent Wardy a text saying Who hit that ball. Cobra struck.

On the bright side I had 195 to the green on a Par 5.

Chicks dig the long ball. *Nobody was hurt.

And that’s why I always err on the side of caution. Wait time for the group to move is shorter than waiting on an ambulance if you tag someone.

I'm not sure ask @dhartmann34

Kidding aside...I've been guilty of hitting into groups. Sometimes after 3 or 4 slow holes I'll send a warning shot like let's pick up the pace fellas. On one hand it's a Richard move by me...But slow play is also a Richard move.

If I'm at the tee box I'll pretty much wait until they're on the green. No point in rushing, just jam out to your music or chat it up with your group.

So, just so I understand this correctly, you will risk hitting someone with a golf ball and you feel that's ok because they're playing slowly?

So, just so I understand this correctly, you will risk hitting someone with a golf ball and you feel that's ok because they're playing slowly?
So you understand correctly, I said I've been, past tense, guilty of hitting into people if they are slow after 3 or 4 consecutive holes of boredom.

But now when I'm at the tee box I will wait for them to get to the green, or on approach shots, even on Par 5s that I have no chance of reaching, I will wait for them to get in their cart, or push-cart, and go to the next tee box before I hit my next shot.

It isn't worth the hassle, argument, or potential fight. I'm not trying to be on World Star for "When Golfing etiquette goes wrong."

So you understand correctly, I said I've been, past tense, guilty of hitting into people if they are slow after 3 or 4 consecutive holes of boredom.

But now when I'm at the tee box I will wait for them to get to the green, or on approach shots, even on Par 5s that I have no chance of reaching, I will wait for them to get in their cart, or push-cart, and go to the next tee box before I hit my next shot.

It isn't worth the hassle, argument, or potential fight. I'm not trying to be on World Star for "When Golfing etiquette goes wrong."
Dude, stop playing the reds and move back to the whites for gosh sakes!

Kind of different situation, but I got hit up on twice yesterday ......... from the group in front of us! These guys were "that group", you know, playing from the tips, slow as molasses, and just plain not very good. This is on a nice local muni, with lots of parallel fairways. First time we were in the 4th fairway, they were on the 5th, a par 3, one of them yells "Fore" as their tee shot sails over our heads. No big deal, thanked them for the warning, showed them where their ball ended up, move along. The second time, we were in the 10th fairway about 50 yds short of the green, a par 5, they were teeing off on 11, a par 4, and with no warning at all a ball lands about a foot from me. All I can figure is the guy popped it up with his driver and had no idea where it went. His shot couldn't have gone much more than 100 yds, and over some trees. They didn't say anything, and I didn't say anything, as we were all on the green before they came looking for the ball. Dogged those guys all afternoon, made for a slow round, but no more excitement after the 10th.

Got ya. Better safe than sorry.

If they're holding up the round and completely ignoring that I'm behind them, or when I ask to play through, I've sent it out there close to them to get their attention. Thankfully most people are aware I'm behind them and let me go.

But a few weeks back, I was behind a guy that wouldn't let me through... Even though he had 6+ holes open in front of him. The lowest score I counted on the first 5 holes was a 7 and the one hole I counted a 16. I asked him twice if I could play through because I caught up to him on every tee box, and he completely ignored me like I was bothering him. It was absurd.

So on a par 5 after I asked him and he ignored me again, I sent a drive over his head when he was about 75 yards off the tee box. He looked back and then turned and kept on going. I went up and grabbed my ball and skipped to the next hole. I don't think I've ever been so angry about someone not letting me play through. That was about 2 hours for 9 holes... Walking...as a single... When I skipped 1/2 a par 5. Normally we play with a 4 some in 3:15 for 18 holes!

Was it right? Of course not. But slowing down the course when your pace of play is horrendous and the group behind you has asked to play through.... Is in my opinion an offense where a golfer or group should be booted from the course. Some of the courses here are strict with this and will make you skip holes or send you packing.

Unfortunately, it's few and far between.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Got ya. Better safe than sorry.
No doubt. I was younger.

But now golfing more with my 15 year old I don’t want to him to pickup any bad tendencies and to respect the game.

Sunday we golfed and the final 6 holes the twosome in front of us were hitting 2, sometimes 3 golf balls on each shot.

On the 16th hole we were both in the fairway and I was watching thru my rangefinder both guys miss a putt then go back to the same putt and putt it again.

Annoying. Stupid. Slow. Dumb.

But not worth a potential fight. Especially with my nephew. Just told him slow play happens and you just have to stay loose and not get tight/stiff or lose concentration.

If they're holding up the round and completely ignoring that I'm behind them, or when I ask to play through, I've sent it out there close to them to get their attention. Thankfully most people are aware I'm behind them and let me go.

My man!! Gotta send a warning shot from time to time!!

My man!! Gotta send a warning shot from time to time!!

I don't condone it... But I'll admit, I don't like to wait if there's open space ahead

Good grief, you guys need to relax, bring some tunes for the cart, some Titos for the thirst and take in the sounds and sights of the Course! The birds chirping, the fresh cut grass, the wind whistling through the trees, the sound of a golf ball hitting the flag stick and dropping to the bottom of the cup, the friendly squirrel scurrying up a tree and the sound of the cart girl ready to sell you another Titos and Gatorade.

Or worst case call the Marshal. :D

Good grief, you guys need to relax, bring some tunes for the cart, some Titos for the thirst and take in the sounds and sights of the Course! The birds chirping, the fresh cut grass, the wind whistling through the trees, the sound of a golf ball hitting the flag stick and dropping to the bottom of the cup, the friendly squirrel scurrying up a tree and the sound of the cart girl ready to sell you another Titos and Gatorade.

Nothing says classy like risking potential injury and hitting a golf ball at someone. This coming from someone that nobody plays as fast as. Someone does that purposely at a THP Event, they won’t finish the round.

Haha yeah. Let that Marshal tell the man who is paying $1000-1500 a month to pick up the pace.

That Member would tell the Marshal to go back to the clubhouse or he'll be back to cleaning carts at the local muni!

I wait-- almost to a fault before hitting my next shot if I think there is even a 0.001% chance that I'll come within 100 feet of them. While I do consider myself to be decent at this game, there's always at least one shot in the round that doesn't go as planned. I do not want that one shot to result in someone being hurt where I could prevent it by waiting 30 seconds to a minute.

I'm a pretty chill person overall, but I have returned a couple balls that were hit into my group on more than one occasion. I can stomach blind shots, or when you absolutely tag one... but if it's the 2nd or 3rd occurrence rest assured the ball is either coming back at you, or will find it's way into my pocket. As @Nate said.... enjoy your time on the course, if you're in that big of a hurry that 2-3 minutes is THAT important to you- come ask if you can play through and I'll gladly send you on your way.

What are you gaining from not waiting? 1 time is a accident, 2 times is Not and you were at fault. If a ball lands within 50 feet you should have waited.
This is spot on.

I wait-- almost to a fault before hitting my next shot if I think there is even a 0.001% chance that I'll come within 100 feet of them. While I do consider myself to be decent at this game, there's always at least one shot in the round that doesn't go as planned. I do not want that one shot to result in someone being hurt where I could prevent it by waiting 30 seconds to a minute.

I'm a pretty chill person overall, but I have returned a couple balls that were hit into my group on more than one occasion. I can stomach blind shots, or when you absolutely tag one... but if it's the 2nd or 3rd occurrence rest assured the ball is either coming back at you, or will find it's way into my pocket. As @Nate said.... enjoy your time on the course, if you're in that big of a hurry that 2-3 minutes is THAT important to you- come ask if you can play through and I'll gladly send you on your way.

LOL, I don't think I've ever done the "send one back" at someone from behind. I always try and find humor in most things so I have taken a ball and put it on a tee in that situation. I think the next time that happens someone needs to take their sharpie and write "too close" on the ball and place it back down. :D

I'm a pretty chill person overall, but I have returned a couple balls that were hit into my group on more than one occasion.
Send it!!!

Woah .... Wanna be clear here ... There was no malice in my action, it wasn't deliberate or a hurry up. I've been tempted in the past to "send a message" but never have and never will.

These guys are my friends, and I play with the regularly. They werent slow or holding us up.

The first time was a genuine mistake (with the tee back I just misjudged it) the second I knew I wasn't going to make it, I crushed it and still came up short (a "normal" shot would have been a good 20 yds shorter)

I am actually a bit concerned that some people think it's okay to hit up on people who are slow.

I've always been pretty chill about it (being hit up on). Usually it's a mistake or a shot of a lifetime. We've all done it.

The times I have been angry are
A) when it's the second/third time and the ball has gone past me or landed nearby

B) when I was putting out on a short par 4 and the ball landed in the middle of the green. (I knew the guy who was a low handicapper and he was going for the green)

C) if you get hit up on from a short distance (par 3 or 150 approach)

If a ball rolls up behind me (or its the first time and he's miles away) I will normally congratulate the guy on a good shot.

I guess that's why I was surprised at the reaction, cos I knew I was never going to make it. (They also saw how far away I was when I played it)

On reflection I should have apologised, and prob should have waited.

It annoys me when people get upset when a ball rolls up and stops short. I get it if it rolls past (or lands near) but not if it rolls up short.
Am I wrong?

It happens man. We've all had learning experiences and this is one for you. I can see why they were annoyed, but don't fret about it.

I'm also not going to sit here and say it's never happened to me.

We've all had shots that were hit into US when we were in the group in front. What I do is turn around and yell "FORE!!!"

Just give me the courtesy to at least take cover or duck. I'll give the courtesy wave/thumbs up and move on.

Send it!!!
You guys realise that hitting it back is actually worse than the original offence right.

Can you imagine if you hit someone doing this? You'd be charged for sure and good luck with any sort of defence.

"Well judge he Ummm he hit the ball at me first, so I accidentally belted it straight at him"

Back