Hitting up on people ... How close is not okay

Woah .... Wanna be clear here ... There was no malice in my action, it wasn't deliberate or a hurry up. I've been tempted in the past to "send a message" but never have and never will.

These guys are my friends, and I play with the regularly. They werent slow or holding us up.

The first time was a genuine mistake (with the tee back I just misjudged it) the second I knew I wasn't going to make it, I crushed it and still came up short (a "normal" shot would have been a good 20 yds shorter)

I am actually a bit concerned that some people think it's okay to hit up on people who are slow.

I've always been pretty chill about it (being hit up on). Usually it's a mistake or a shot of a lifetime. We've all done it.

The times I have been angry are
A) when it's the second/third time and the ball has gone past me or landed nearby

B) when I was putting out on a short par 4 and the ball landed in the middle of the green. (I knew the guy who was a low handicapper and he was going for the green)

C) if you get hit up on from a short distance (par 3 or 150 approach)

If a ball rolls up behind me (or its the first time and he's miles away) I will normally congratulate the guy on a good shot.

I guess that's why I was surprised at the reaction, cos I knew I was never going to make it. (They also saw how far away I was when I played it)

On reflection I should have apologised, and prob should have waited
You're good! I think people were just making blanket statements on the act of hitting into or getting hit into; not a reflection of your story. Just got people thinking about their own stories. It's amazing how far an apology will go on either side of the equation when this happens.

Im not at all any fan of slow play warning shots. Two wrongs never make a right no matter what its still wrong. You just don't do it, its not your job to do it even if your annoyed at the slow group.

As for the topic in general? The whole "I didn't think I could reach" excuse is not really an excuse. And certainly not for someone who has played long enough to fully understand how sometimes you just cream one out of the norm. That will happen to anyone enough times and if you have enough played rounds under your belt you should know that it can and will happen. So imo its not "really" an excuse because you do know its possible.

What annoys me is those who suggest or even somewhat insist that I hit when I know full well the group ahead is within my max reach. Even if its only the 1 in 12 times I would even get close I still should be waiting. Truth is, where would we all be heading anyway? I mean what is the logic behind "hurry up and wait". And oh yes I may hit a fatty that chunks up 30 yrd from where I am, and I may hit it well and likely still be short sided, but knowing that its possible? Im waiting another minute for them to clear. Reason being is same as I began with this. Its because I been playing long enough to know I can and will sometimes reach. Its pretty simple really.

Im not at all any fan of slow play warning shots. Two wrongs never make a right no matter what its still wrong. You just don't do it, its not your job to do it even if your annoyed at the slow group.

As for the topic in general? The whole "I didn't think I could reach" excuse is not really an excuse. And certainly not for someone who has played long enough to fully understand how sometimes you just cream one out of the norm. That will happen to anyone enough times and if you have enough played rounds under your belt you should know that it can and will happen. So imo its not "really" an excuse because you do know its possible.

What annoys me is those who suggest or even somewhat insist that I hit when I know full well the group ahead is within my max reach. Even if its only the 1 in 12 times I would even get close I still should be waiting. Truth is, where would we all be heading anyway? I mean what is the logic behind "hurry up and wait". And oh yes I may hit a fatty that chunks up 30 yrd from where I am, and I may hit it well and likely still be short sided, but knowing that its possible? Im waiting another minute for them to clear. Reason being is same as I began with this. Its because I been playing long enough to know I can and will sometimes reach. Its pretty simple really.

Just be ready to take the grief from your playing partners and the guys waiting on the tee behind ya when you do it. I KID!!

I believe the hole has locations that represent the progression of the hole. If you're on the tee and people are playing their second shots, I don't think it's ever appropriate to hit your tee ball.
If people are on the green and you're trying to get as close to the green as you can (but don't believe you can get on), wait for them to clear. It's not like there's anywhere to go.

Unfortunately both your samples would aggravate me. I guess it's just how I perceive what is appropriate, and I absolutely hate being 'pushed' by shots coming from behind, especially if there is nowhere for me to go.

You guys realise that hitting it back is actually worse than the original offence right.

Can you imagine if you hit someone doing this? You'd be charged for sure and good luck with any sort of defence.

"Well judge he Ummm he hit the ball at me first, so I accidentally belted it straight at him"

Sent from my Lenovo P2a42 using Tapatalk
I get it bro. I've never teed one up and sent it back. I've never picked up someone's ball that was hit into me and launched it into the water, I've never picked up someone's ProV1 and replaced it with a Top Flite.

Stuff I have seen happen in groups that have hit into us.

I'm not saying it's right. I've not been perfect on the golf course when I was younger.

But I realize what you're saying. Two wrongs don't make a right. People react how they want. I can only control my own actions.

What annoys me is those who suggest or even somewhat insist that I hit when I know full well the group ahead is within my max reach.

This happens all the time. "Just hit, you won't get it to them." Or my favorite, "if it gets to them, it'll be rolling so it won't hurt them." These same people get upset when it happens to them. As someone who inadvertently hurt someone, I won't put myself in that position again. If there's a chance it'll get there, I'm waiting.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

if there is even the most MINUTE chance of hitting into the group in front, wait.

This. If you have any chance at all that it COULD get there, don’t hit. There is absolutely nothing positive that will come with hitting in that situation. If they are that close, you’re going to have to wait for the next shot anyway.

Send it!!!

I want to clarify-- the returns were after multiple occasions where we were hit into... Both occasions that I remember they hit our cart, in the middle of the fairway while we were waiting for the group in front of us to clear the green. There was absolutely no reason for them to hit--- Hitting the cart was the straw that broke the camel's back. Not saying it like a badge of honor or anything....

Yes I know you're joking-- but I'm not THAT big of a Richard.

One time I can forgive, two times I would get a bit annoyed, even if it was a friend who hit both shots. Its not that a ball rolling past me is going to cause any physical damage, I think it is more of an etiquette consideration. The last thing I need, as I prepare to hit a shot, is to hear a ball landing close by me, hit by the group behind. Maybe they think their game takes precedence over mine?

That being said, we all make mistakes, and I'm sure we've all hit into groups by mistake and have apologized. Sometimes the apology is accepted, other times its not. Life goes on!

I want to clarify-- the returns were after multiple occasions where we were hit into... Both occasions that I remember they hit our cart, in the middle of the fairway while we were waiting for the group in front of us to clear the green. There was absolutely no reason for them to hit--- Hitting the cart was the straw that broke the camel's back. Not saying it like a badge of honor or anything....

Yes I know you're joking-- but I'm not THAT big of a Richard.
You didn't have to clarify bro. You're a good dude. Sucks we couldn't Golf together at The Hideaway and lose 4&3 to whichever buzzsaw we were against that day.

But your actions are are cool with me on this situation.

If I think its to close to me, Its to close.

You didn't have to clarify bro. You're a good dude. Sucks we couldn't Golf together at The Hideaway and lose 4&3 to whichever buzzsaw we were against that day.

But your actions are are cool with me on this situation.

Soon as the stars align and we relocate, or my wife figures out which condo she wants down there we will definitely get that round in.

I assume I’ll hit my best shot with that club. That way there’s no chance of hitting into the group. Of course I usually top the shot and look like an ass to my playing partners.

I assume I’ll hit my best shot with that club. That way there’s no chance of hitting into the group. Of course I usually top the shot and look like an ass to my playing partners.

Murphy's Law. Wait = fat bever pellet, Go = Flush, center of the clubface, dead straight. #Fore

No such thing when playing with friends.

We all hit duck hooks, slices, chili-dip some 7irons, chunk a wedge, blade an 8iron.

For me, sound is a consideration also. Hearing or watching a ball land can be a disruption while on the green also. Under normal situations I'll give 40 or 50 yards.

I'm not a long ball hitter, but I have been on both sides of this fence. I do not like the feeling of waiting to hit into a par 5, and questioning yourself about unreasonable expectations, but the truth is: It is not a big deal, and those situations do not contribute to slow play. If the intentions were respectful and considerate, it shouldn't be blown up into a big deal when hit into either. I feel more uncomfortable, when people signal or want you to play through without making an effort to get out of the corridor. I'd rather they get safe or wait until the next tee box. Again, those waiting periods are a product and not a cause of slow/fast play.

p.s. I find it funny when my foursome says, "We'll hit our drives and then let them play through." I just don't see the gains there.

Last edited:
LOL, I don't think I've ever done the "send one back" at someone from behind. I always try and find humor in most things so I have taken a ball and put it on a tee in that situation. I think the next time that happens someone needs to take their sharpie and write "too close" on the ball and place it back down. :D

During practice in high school my senior year this cocky freshman twerp hit into my group. The ball flew right past my ear, and hit my bag pretty hard.

I sent that thing flying back over his head so fast. It was soooo worth it for the look on his face, not to mention the story he told the coach after we finished. :laughing:

I hit one into the club pro early this year. It was a par 5, he was waiting for the green to clear to hit. Everyone else in my group hit so I hit. Well of course I caught one perfect and it landed about 40 yards short and rolled right passed his feet. After the round, I gave him a hard time for hitting it so short off the tee and asking him why he hit 3 wood off the tee on a par 5. We laughed and it was all good.

I think it really depends on how the shot is coming. Shots that land near someone I have an issue with, shots that are rolling down the fairway or up to the green I don't think are a big deal.

35+ yards is also my bare minimum of cushion.

There's the impression of hitting into or close to a group but there's also the potential distraction factor.

Even if there's no possibility in all of reality that I may reach a group, just coming close enough could distract them and take them off their games.

I don't want anyone concerned about whether or not I may hit into them. The only way to eliminate coming close is to steer way clear of even the most remote possibility for it to happen.

recently been playing in tournaments and getting matched up with people I don't know. And with my current physical limitations, everything is 2-3 clubs shorter than it used to be. But every so often there will be a shot where I hit it like I used to. At a recent tournament I teed off with my 4h. When I was feeling good it was a 205-210 yard club. Right now it is more a 185 yard club. Sure enough I flushed it and sent it into the pond at the corner on the dogleg, 255 yards out.

So the rest of the round I played as if I was hitting my shots, I played it as if I had my normal length. One guy started scuffling so of course did not care for my waits. I bowed to peer pressure. I put it closer to the group ahead of me than I am comfortable with and apologized. The rest of the round, I insisted on waiting til there was a comfort space between a well struck healthy shot and them. A few times the other guys would give me a look and so I started saying, "Well, I can hit it now and hit into them or I can wait and chunk it over here."

That seemed to alleviate the irritation. The first one was my fault 100%. It is my job to know my capabilities and, in regard to hitting people, assume I will hit the best shot I have hit with that club and leave a margin beyond that. Note this is in opposition to my club selection for the shot itself which is for my average shot with that club.

How close is too close? it will vary with different groups. I have had groups on a par 5 mad at a second shot landing 60 yards short of the green. I have had groups waving us up on them while they were waiting, knowing we were likely to hit within 15 or 20 yards of them. Too close is in the eye of the recipient.

The times I have been angry are
A) when it's the second/third time and the ball has gone past me or landed nearby

On reflection I should have apologised, and prob should have waited.

From the groups perspective that you hit into A) is exactly what happened and why they were angry in my opinion.

Being apologetic would have gone a long way and the situation probably wouldn’t have gotten so heated.

I believe the hole has locations that represent the progression of the hole. If you're on the tee and people are playing their second shots, I don't think it's ever appropriate to hit your tee ball.
If people are on the green and you're trying to get as close to the green as you can (but don't believe you can get on), wait for them to clear. It's not like there's anywhere to go.

Unfortunately both your samples would aggravate me. I guess it's just how I perceive what is appropriate, and I absolutely hate being 'pushed' by shots coming from behind, especially if there is nowhere for me to go.

I completely agree about when it’s appropriate to hit your shots and feel the same exact way about being pushed on a crowded course. Actually there’s probably nothing that bothers me more on the course honestly, being stuck in a group that is holding other groups up might be 1B.

Everyone has done it and has had it done to them! I don't mind it if it comes rolling up to where I am. Now, if it comes shooting past me of hits the green when I'm putting, that's different. I will give you once, I understand mistakes happen, but twice, I'm gonna tee it up and hit a low stinger right back at you or if there's water nearby, your ball is going for a swim. And, don't come flying up on your golf cart wanting to confront me....just don't!

I generally try to make sure there is a zero percent chance my ball can hit the group ahead before swinging.

If a ball rolls up to my ankles from behind I dont get upset. If it happens twice I might raise an arm in protest.
I've never had a ball whizz past my head that I can recall.

I think it really depends on how the shot is coming. Shots that land near someone I have an issue with, shots that are rolling down the fairway or up to the green I don't think are a big deal.

... I agree with you but clearly we are on the minority. :beat-up: I never want to hear a ball land near me but if I am on a par 5 and a ball gently rolls on the green and I look back and need my rangefinder to see who hit it, I tip my cap to that player for hitting such a great shot. I have hit shots here in Phoenix that landed a good 50-70 yds short of the green but managed to roll on. It is a tricky situation when I can reach from 250-270 and the other 3 players in my group are in carts and have played their 2nd shots all 150 yds or farther in front of me and waiting by their balls and I am walking and the group behind is waiting for what seems like forever on the tee box. In that situation 1 in 10 shots that might gently roll on the green seems like the right play. Granted I know I can't get close to that green on the fly or bouncing or even rolling with any velocity but it seems like most here would find that unacceptable? Unless they were the ones waiting on the tee box forever until I finally hooked my 3 wood 50 yds short of the green and in the rough on the left.

Back