Hitting up on people ... How close is not okay

I don’t think you were wrong, but a simple apology with an added “my best ever swing lands 40 yards short of this, sorry again” would have went a long way.

Today I purposely hit into a single head of me 3 times. But they guy was hitting two balls on a somewhat crowded day and easily 2 shots behind the foursome in front of him. It was the first time I ever yelled fore on a straight down the middle drive.

Once I had a shot where I thought I couldn't get it close and it rolled in the general vicinity of the group ahead of me. When I approached the guy stared me down like he was strongly considering attacking me. I apologized and thankfully there was not a fight.

I learned a lesson from that and it was accidental! Purposely hitting at someone could have unintended consequences.

Dave

If it's close enough to make them turn around because they heard it land close by, it's too close.

Once I had a shot where I thought I couldn't get it close and it rolled in the general vicinity of the group ahead of me. When I approached the guy stared me down like he was strongly considering attacking me. I apologized and thankfully there was not a fight.

I learned a lesson from that and it was accidental! Purposely hitting at someone could have unintended consequences.

Dave

In my last round my group was on the tee of a shorter dogleg. Pace was fine and we were simply talking as normal as one player sets up his ball and prepares to hit. The group ahead is on or near around the green with an empty fairway. So just as the player in my group is in his swing , a player from the group ahead pops out of the trees and sure enough the ball lands right next to him. We were all like "oh crap" and dumbfounded as we just did not have a clue he was not with his group. We all were truly surprised "there wasn't even time to yell "four". We just watched his ball in the air and next thing we know as it land is that this other player is there. We all were wondering where the heck did this guy come from? Spontaneous combustion? we even though he may have come over from the adjoining hole.gesture and also yells out a "sorry".

They guy looks at us and throws his hands up in a WTF manor. And the hitter of the ball in my group waves his own arms up in an apologetic gesture and also yells out a "sorry". The player just continues to stare and throws his hands up again and even begins to walk back towards us and throws them up a third time. And he just goes on staring as though to continue a challenge. So now we are now like "WTF" man , take a chill pill.

Clearly a true accident here is all it was. And I understand the guys initial reaction. And he may have even assumed that we were being wise guys in light of him not being up at the green with his own group. So ya give the guy the benefit of doubt for that too, but then when one keeps pushing the issue like a tough guy even after an apology for something that was a real accident, it kind of gets you angry. Its like now..."just turn around and play your freaking game man".

Hit into us on the fly and we usually give the benefit of the doubt and assume it was a miscalculation or a visibility issue.

Roll it up close and our group is very forgiving.

What I hate is people who are so impatient they barely wait for you to clear the green. Pull or push it into us before you give us a chance to get our clubs in the bag and out of harms way and someone is likely getting an earful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If someone is playing slow I’ll send one with 20 yards but never past them or rolling up to them, intentional or not. I never find myself in situations where “wow, I caught that one” and it became an accident. Like someone mentioned above, if there is any doubt I hold.

... Not singling you out but I play as a single a TON. Around 100 rounds out here in Phoenix this winter alone, and a lifetime of traveling and doing the same. One thing I have learned is s-l-o-w golfers never think they are slow or they really just don't care. Either way a "warning shot" isn't gonna do anyone any good, and as others have posted, it can cause a physical confrontation.

... Not singling you out but I play as a single a TON. Around 100 rounds out here in Phoenix this winter alone, and a lifetime of traveling and doing the same. One thing I have learned is s-l-o-w golfers never think they are slow or they really just don't care. Either way a "warning shot" isn't gonna do anyone any good, and as others have posted, it can cause a physical confrontation.

Correct! It's immature and irresponsible. And when something odd happens like a bounce off a sprinkler head and into another golfer happens it will surely speed up the round.

I joined up with a very good golfer (he shot -2 from the tips) on a tough course. He refused to tee off until the people in front were done with the hole. He stated that you don't move any faster by hitting up on the group and you should always let them get a hole ahead.

I agree with the majority in here.

1) It’s not all right, the potential damage is serious and no one wants to hurt someone

2) slow play isn’t an excuse

3) whenever I’ve done I always yell fore and am quite apologetic- rarely has someone been that confrontational and I still bite my tongue and apologize

4) I’ve never hit into someone more than once

I agree with the majority in here.

1) It’s not all right, the potential damage is serious and no one wants to hurt someone

2) slow play isn’t an excuse

3) whenever I’ve done I always yell fore and am quite apologetic- rarely has someone been that confrontational and I still bite my tongue and apologize

4) I’ve never hit into someone more than once
that may only be because Ive yet to be in front of you writing a novel. :alien:
heck you might even be compelled if I was even behind you..LOL :)

that may only be because Ive yet to be in front of you writing a novel. :alien:
heck you might even be compelled if I was even behind you..LOL :)

Not worth the golf ball? :angel:

We usually play 3 or 4 groups. You will get chewed out afterwards. We wait, unless you are laying up way short.

Once is an accident, twice is a coincidence, 3 times is intentional. Seems to work for me.

It's a range of emotions/thoughts for me. It mostly depends on how likely you should hit that distance. I've been on the receiving side of drunks hitting irons into the green while I'm putting where I will unload on them and call the clubhouse to a guy hitting a very nice shot on a par 5 and all I can say is nice shot.

Really it depends on the situation.

That's really hard to use as a guideline because everyone is different. I wouldn't expect your average Joe to be able to hit it on, or near, a green from 250 out, but if Tiger was behind me, I'd figure it was legitimate to think he could do it. That being said, if we were all standing around the hole, finishing up our 3rd putts from 6' and in, and the average Joe was hitting into the green from 125, I'd be a little miffed probably, but if Tiger were doing it, I'd think he was just aiming at another part of the green so it's no big deal.

Mistakes happen. Last season I drove a par 4 I never reach while folks were putting, landed short and rolled on. As long as you don't fly it into me I'll totally let it slide..

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I've been hit by golf balls 4 times over my lifetime, once directly over the heart. While I don't appreciate others hitting into me, I always forgive the 1st time. 2nd time in a round, I tee the ball up to signal the guy that it's unacceptable. 3rd time, I'll ask him to stop doing it. It's only gotten past 3 times once in my life.

Even with a ball that simply rolls up behind you, you still hear the thump of the ball striking the ground. It's distracting whether you're on the green or in the fairway. If there's any possibility that your shot even might get somewhat close to the group in front, you wait. Etiquette demands no other possible answer. Just because the group in front of you is slower than you would like them to be, that does not relieve you of the responsibility to be a gentleman on the course.

I almost got 8 people Saturday. Teeing off on a par 5, first group in tournament shotgun start. Planning to go down right side of fairway, second shot punch to the 150 marker and then hit left side of green. Plan was to avoid trouble, start off with no worse than bogey. Swing felt good, did not see ball off club. "Where is it?' I asked. "Left" they replied.

I turned, looked, said "Oh (redacted) FOOOOOORRREE" as the ball bounced on the cartpath between the 2 groups waiting to tee off on 17. That tee box is about 160 yards left of the 18th fairway, not really a place normally in danger from people teeing off on 18. I felt so horrible, apologized profusely. It did not hit anyone which I am so thankful for. That was brutal. That is the type of shot that can do some serious damage...coming from an unexpected angle into the face of people. I am still rattled.

as others have said, once, accident...twice, your going to find your ball teed up...Three times, and we will absolutely have words, and I will have reported you to the clubhouse...A large portion of that for me, I have never ever been accused of slow play, and if you hit into me, it is because I am WAITING on people ahead of me...

I have had to shove buddies out of the way of a ball whizzing by, and that was on the third offense...I was NOT happy, and they were drunk, NOT a good combination!!!

I may have found my ball on one of your tees before :laugh: In my defense, you were behind a hill and our group thought you were gone :angel:

I've never purposely hit into another group. I have hit into a group that was on another hole as my drive went sailing off in the wrong direction #FORE! And I have driven a couple shorter par 4's when my partners came up well short and I assumed I would too. When looking back I should have waited because there was a chance I could get there, and when I play those holes now, I wait. Mistakes happen. Even though they can generally be avoided by waiting 2 more minutes to hit. It's when it becomes intentional or happens on multiple occasions that it turns into a problem.

I may have found my ball on one of your tees before :laugh: In my defense, you were behind a hill and our group thought you were gone :angel:

I've never purposely hit into another group. I have hit into a group that was on another hole as my drive went sailing off in the wrong direction #FORE! And I have driven a couple shorter par 4's when my partners came up well short and I assumed I would too. When looking back I should have waited because there was a chance I could get there, and when I play those holes now, I wait. Mistakes happen. Even though they can generally be avoided by waiting 2 more minutes to hit. It's when it becomes intentional or happens on multiple occasions that it turns into a problem.

#BlueBall(s)StrikesAgain

What did you gain by hitting up to the green anyway? You obviously weren't going anywhere, right. Not like you were playing through them and they asked you to hit up.

When in doubt, wait, plain and simple. You gain nothing by hitting until they leave the green

I've been hit. It hurt. It sucked. couldn't blame them, It was a wayward tee shot and I was unseen to them.

I always wait. It makes me nervous when someone in my group starts to hit and they can reach the group in front. I'll make a little comment like "ya might want to wait, its okay to wait" If the person hits anyway, I turn my back and don't watch.

I've never purposefully hit into someone but I have done it on blind tee shots when I didn't know there was a group in front of me, you know when you haven't seen the group the whole round then they're just over the top of a hill. Felt terrible and apologized.

I have been hit and had one come screaming into a cart as I walked by, it was not fun & we had a bit of a discussion about because we'd been in front of them all day and there's no way he didn't see us.

I've hit into a group in front of me four times, and each time I was with my dad and he said I couldn't reach. The last was in Ft Myers, and a man and his wife were in front of us. On a par 5, they drove off around the dog leg so I hit my tee shot. It draws and gets to the corner of the dogleg and goes around the mounding that runs down the left side. A second later, the guy comes out from behind the mound with his arms up, I yell an apology and we take off down the fairway. Mind you he had to walk out to where he could actually see the tee box we hit from. We get out to the fairway and the guy is waiting for us. I apologize again, tell him we saw them drive off so we thought it was clear. Incensed, he yells that the ball landed a foot from his wife and could have killed her. She says, "It did not, it landed back there and rolled up to us. How could they have known we were still behind this hill?" Some people just have to be angry and look for a confrontation, and this guy's wife had obviously long been tired of it.

If it's close enough to make them turn around because they heard it land close by, it's too close.
That's not a bad rule.

Sent from my Lenovo P2a42 using Tapatalk

Back