Dealing with defeat

Yeah, I already feel better about my prospects for the next time out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It happened to me on Friday. I play golf with a coworker and we play a $5 Nassau every single time we play. Even if it is 9 holes, we play 5,5, and 5 for each of the three holes. I ALWAYS win. Until this past Friday that is. He won all three bets on 18 holes and it hurt to pay him :act-up:. That is until I reflected on it on the drive home. He was so proud and the smile on his face when he took my money was just so special to see. He has gotten so much better than when we first started playing together. I was really proud of him when I reflected on it.

Take pride in your brother in laws accomplishment with him. But take it back next time. :D

JM

broseph, i've been there. COMPLETELY and utterly LOST. absolutely no idea how to swing a golf club or hit any type of shot. seriously begging for the round to end. i went through that last year for a spell. i just kept working with purpose, a lesson here or there, but very directed practice. eventually it came back. the wtf rounds are fewer and farther between. my best advice is to take a break from the game, but keep thp'ing and watching golf on tv. go to a golf course without your clubs and watch people teeing off and coming in 18. basically torture yourself until you want it so bad you don't care what you shoot just for the joy of being out there. because THAT JOY is the only reason guys like we are should ever play the game. you don't have to play golf, you choose to play golf. so choose to enjoy it.

good luck dude. i had to give up the game for a little while to gain some perspective. here's to hoping you can get the passion back sooner.

I was out playing a round with a pro and he shot an 83. I shot a 95. We played from the same tees.

How do you deal with such a loss as both factors are weighing on me heavily at the moment...
You're kidding right? Weighing on you heavily? If that's the worst you have to worry about ... losing a friendly round of golf, consider yourself very fortunate and move on with life.

Anyone who has competed in some sort of athletic sport knows there are slumps. Just try to not overthink it. I bet your buddy was super excited that he finally won and felt like his game seriously improved.

Always Remember... It's Just a Game! Life has greater challenges.

I find the best way to deal with defeat is the good old "Oscars nominee but beaten by the crap film" method. Smile and clap when people are looking your way but secretly plot you opponents "unfortunate" downfall :laughing:

I deal with defeat the same way I deal with dehands :D

That made me laugh out loud, talk about getting funny looks! thanks for that :D

I usually play with friends, so it's not such a big deal when I lose, because that means one of my friends won. Either way, I get to have a beer, only the one who's buying is different.

I imagine your buddy couldn't stop smiling even though he probably knew it was a very bad game for you. When the shoe is on the other foot... give them both. Get back to basics...in everything.

I have a good friend who lived across the street from me from 1998-2012 who I've played more golf with than anyone in the last 20 years. He's about an 11 handicap and had never beaten me until 3 years ago when we were on a golf/family vacation in Minnesota. I had a horrific day and shot 87 and lost to him by a stroke and a couple of our other neighbors who are not avid golfers were there to witness it. It made his day in a big way!

I was a gracious loser but it did bother me to lose to him when he was having a below average day. Luckily I was able to shrug it off with the help of several beers and went out the next day and shot even par. That round still comes up once or twice a year but honestly it still gives him joy so I look at it now as a positive. It's only a game and that has more meaning the older I get!

To be honest, I'd say be glad for him that he got one even if he relives it now and then. Its all good and its all fun.

Yeah, now that I'm past the moment, it's much easier to reflect on his perspective and be happy for him. Haven't been able to hit since, so still remains to be seen if my game makes an appearance or remains hidden...

Yeah, now that I'm past the moment, it's much easier to reflect on his perspective and be happy for him. Haven't been able to hit since, so still remains to be seen if my game makes an appearance or remains hidden...

Good for you. It will, you are too good of a player for it not to.

Have a drink of whiskey ... chalk it up to just "one of those rounds" .... get back on the horse and do it again. That's golf. Sometimes you just have to walk away from it for a while. I find that when I'm playing too much (which doesn't happen very often) and I start to play bad, I will have to take a break and do something else ... go fishing, just don't do anything with golf. Then after a few days, pick up the club and do it again and more often than not, it's like riding a bike, all is forgotten and everything will come back. Don't get discouraged, it happens to all of us at some point.

Chalk it up to 'GOLF', there will always be those days, so laugh it off with a beer.

Happened to me once in a high school match. Played a rival school against a kid who's number I always had. He comes out firing a 39 for nine holes and I had a below average 46. The next time we played, I was beating him so bad he literally ran out of golf balls on the last hole. He never beat me again.

Back