Putting Sweet Spot - Your Game

Would be interesting to know what the SS contact is like for different levels of golfers. I am sure someone like Pelz has some stats somewhere.

We got them (the stats, not our testing) based on PGA Tour testing of 13 golfers and then by amateur testing of 12 golfers from one manufacturer a couple of weeks ago. Pretty astonishing stuff.

Judging by my number of 3 putts I would say 15%.

Actually, I think I hit it pretty consistently. My misses are speed and line. Percentage probably around 40-50%. Depending on the size of the sweet spot, which I don't know.

We got them (the stats, not our testing) based on PGA Tour testing of 13 golfers and then by amateur testing of 12 golfers from one manufacturer a couple of weeks ago. Pretty astonishing stuff.

I'm going to take a wild guess and say I'm way off. If it's astonishing to you, I'm going to say the pros aren't even that high then. I'm just confident in my putting and feel like this stat is going to now start bringing doubt into my head every time I putt haha

I'm going to say damn near never. I've gotten really good at my distance control over the last year or two and have become pretty confident on the greens. My old man says I line up with the ball slightly off center on the toe side. I don't try to correct it because I'm having quite a bit of success with it so I'd venture to say almost never.

If I had to guess I'd say like 15%, but I may be way off and it could be so much lower.

No idea. I'll say 50%

I would honestly have no idea. Just guessing I would say 50% seems about right. I'm not a horrible putter, but know I don't hit the sweet spot each time.

I would think that using a Seemore with RST helps me accomplish this more often. So, I would guess closer to 50% for me. I'm a decent putter. It could actually be a little higher as well as lower. So, it's just a guess.

I'm game for doing some extracurricular testing..but how would we determine the sweet spot for each putter?
Would we just measure the face length of the putter and assume that the center of that length +/- "X" distance from the center is the "sweet spot"?

Good question, I know I realize it more when I don't hit the sweet spot that's for sure. But often times I miss just a little. If I had to guess I'd say around 50% of putts I do not hit the sweet spot. Some still go in, some don't but that's a fair guess I think.

perhaps some should go out with some impact tape

Would this work? Would a putt be hit hard enough to make a mark?

I have no idea, but I'll guess around 15-20% of the time.

Low. Might be as low as or even lower than 1 in 10. There is close to center, and there is sweet spot. In terms of sound and feel, my old Ping H-blade gives the best feedback for hitting or missing sweet spot among my putters.

absolutely. Have done it in putter fittings before. If the impact tape doesn't work, the foot spray will, and it wipes right off.

perhaps some should go out with some impact tape, or spray the front of your putter with foot spray. Take 25-30 putts, and report back.

Didn't have time for 20-30 putts. But here's about a dozen or so. In my office.

5cf58032302713f9d916c097085305db.jpg

absolutely. Have done it in putter fittings before. If the impact tape doesn't work, the foot spray will, and it wipes right off.

I'll need to test this. I have no problem being humbled.

I would guess somewhere around 50%.
What's really surprising to me, is how many putts that go in for me when I see that I CLEARLY missed the sweet spot.
Especially when the miss is out towards the toe.

Guessing maybe 25% of the time. Probably 10% on putts over 10 feet and around 50% on putts inside 10 feet.

I really don't know and tend to think it is low for me. I would say it is right around 10-15% but will need to get some impact tape out to truly find out.

perhaps some should go out with some impact tape, or spray the front of your putter with foot spray. Take 25-30 putts, and report back.

I am on it. Maybe I will video the test... if anyone is interested that is...

This is a good question. I would guess it's lower than I think it is. I'm confident with the putter, but I would guess maybe 15-20%.....And maybe that's high....

I am on it. Maybe I will video the test... if anyone is interested that is...

If you want to test the same way it was tested by the putter company, it was from 20 feet.
20 balls. Measured by % away from center. They put them in 3 groups. Dead Center (sweet spot), 5-20% away to either side, and more than 20% miss to either side.

Foot spray works for me. The face on my putter is completely smooth and flat with no milling.

Back